The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Emulated SSL vs. Soundcraft ghost Mixer? Mixers (Analog)
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Emulated SSL vs. Soundcraft ghost Mixer?

I have always been attracted to the analog desks something just feels right but i have been reading and thinking alot latley and im starting to think about mixing itb and using a few choice peices of outboard gear

you can save everythig is a software mix however when you mix otb you have to do a completley new mix eachtime.

so the only question i have left is would a software emulated ssl or the soundcraft sound better?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I have a Ghost 32 le and I recently became a convert to working in the box. This came about after I had several people ask to add new things to old mixes and I had absolutely no idea of what I had patched where in the old mixes. I made a point to try and match my old mixes ITB and ended up liking the new ones better. Recently the power supply of the Ghost died on me and I needed to keep mixing ( deadlines ). A friend loaned me a Mackie Big Knob and I started to notice that for some reason the tracks just sounded better to me. I honestly thought I was imagining it but when I got the power supply working again and turned on the console everything got smaller and a bit cloudier ( taking into consideration that I was monitoring through the master section without stemming into individual channels ). Mind you it was not night and day but it was definitely noticeable! If you don't have a really good mixer ( I tried the Toft and thought it was a lot better than the Ghost, wider, deeper and cleaner), my advice would be to stay ITB.
Hope this helps

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search