The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avantones VS Yamaha Studio Monitors
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Avantones VS Yamaha

Looking to get a pair of speakers to complement my BM15A Dynaudio main studio speakers.

Basically, I want a B reference and something that focuses on the problematic mid range, and hopefully achieve a mix reference that "if it sounds good on these speakers it will sound good on anything".

Anybody has worked with the Avantones or the Yamahas HS50? with both?

Suggestions? Which one should I get?

Is there another option out there?

Peace!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
I say get the avantones. Those are mostly to monitor to check in a sort of crappy way esp with the midrange....

I like Dynaudio monitors, I don't know why you'd want to go Yamaha and get more of the same thing but with lower quality. I've used the HS50s and the NS10s and I just can't get into them. I don't even like listening to properly produced albums on them, it's awful.

If you're feeling really ambitious get a pair of standard issue ipod headphones to go with your avantones, that might be a good investment too to check mixes on. :P
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

I have both the HS50s and some vintage Auratones on my desk right now, both complementing Dynaudio BM15s. I must concur with the prior response...the new Yamahas are NOT NS10s. You won't get what you want out of them at all.

Assuming the Avantones are close to my Auratones, you'll get much more use from them. They sound like hell, but they've made an enormous difference in my mixes.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Avantones +1

I haven't tried the yamahas but I'm SOOOOO happy with my avantone.
I only use it in mono. DeadPoet, another GSmember wanted to try mine, never gave it back :-)

I'm really happy with mine.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search