The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Rolling Stones - We Love You
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

The Rolling Stones - We Love You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrBMu-jhzIo

Probably my favorite song by these guys. A couple questions for those who may know...

1) How do they get those vocals to slowly fade in and peak and then sort of fade out before kicking in again? Multi-layered with certain tracks getting louder first?

2) That sound that almost sounds like a horn or weird synth, it's on the last 8th note of every other measure... is that a mellotron?

3) On the off chance that any of you know any trivia or stories related to the track, would you care to share?

4) Just what drugs was Brian Jones on, and how wasted was he during the filming?

Last edited by lagavulin16; 4th January 2011 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: youtube link didn't work
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Boy, this thread went well.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Vid don't work..... and look up the whisky exchange dot com... there are a few peat malts on there ...heh
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear
I like Mick Taylor
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

I added the link
Yes I love whisky!
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Still one of THE Greatest bands of all time. They should record more studio stuff tho.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Seriously, I got nothing against the 16. But you should check the Lagavulin 12, it's definitely more interesting and far, far more subtle. And still, a good tip you'll have got on that forum is to investigate in Port Askaig, which for of Islay malts, simply rules.

Ah, as for "We Love You", I doubt of the multi layered vocal tracking. Not that many tracks were available at that time. It could be non-synced multi-head tape delay, moderate feedback. Just my guess.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

I don't know anything about the recording but that is one of my favourite Stones songs too.

It would be nice to see more threads about the Stones and less about that overrated lot from Liverpool who I can't bring myself to name out loud!
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagavulin16 View Post
4) Just what drugs was Brian Jones on, and how wasted was he during the filming?
I guess the footage speaks for itself.

The studio footage is actually from 'One plus one', filmed by Jean-Luc Godard during the 'Sympathy for the devil' sessions which I hope someday will see a release without the 'weird-for-weird's sake' crapola that Godard was putting up against the Stones at Olympic Studios. In his bio, Keith stated that he liked Godard very much and admired his earlier films but thought that he was messed up on acid for 'One Plus one' and thus the film was just horrible.

'We love you' is really a showcase for the amazing Nicky Hopkins on piano. Since Brian Jones was beginning to leave the earth by this time, Hopkins pretty much became Keith's foil in the studio. He's all over Beggar's Banquet' which is my fave Stones album.
Old 4th January 2011
Probably backwards tape delay & reverb?
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
I don't know anything about the recording but that is one of my favourite Stones songs too.

It would be nice to see more threads about the Stones and less about that overrated lot from Liverpool who I can't bring myself to name out loud!
Bit ironic given that John and Paul did the backing vocals on We Love You.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

This was the B-side to 'Dandelion' and a response to the Beatles 'All you Need Is Love' as they we're trying to play the roll of "The Evil Beattles" or something. Yes, John & Paul sang back-ups... forwards and backwards.

That's, yes indeed, lotso' Mellotron on this track and with Tron trumpets doing those rthymic stabs in the middle.

Great song and an even better single considering the equally amazing A-side 'Dandelion'.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Probably backwards tape delay & reverb?
You don't think its just the way they sang it? And/or perhaps pushing the fader up towards the ends of the line.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:

With all due respect, overrated is certainly not an adjective used in describing the Beatles. There I said it. If however you are talking about Gerry and the lads well then ok.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Amazing that 50 years after they hit the stratosphere there are still Beatles Vs Rolling Stones discussions. Wonder if after 50 years there will be Take That Vs Oasis discussions. Somehow I doubt it. Anyway great to see that both these bands have still not lost their fire.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Great track.

As for how it was done---it's called "engineering."
Old 5th January 2011
Quote:

1) How do they get those vocals to slowly fade in and peak and then sort of fade out before kicking in again? Multi-layered with certain tracks getting louder first?
I love this Stones period!

You know, I think that this is something simple. Mick and co. probably leaned in and pulled away from the mics as they were singing, although the engineer may have been fussing with the faders during the mix.

Quote:
2) That sound that almost sounds like a horn or weird synth, it's on the last 8th note of every other measure... is that a mellotron?
Definitely a mellotron. After playing Mitch Easter's Chamberlin (a Mellotron-like instrument that also uses tape loops), I purchased a mellotron samples CD years ago by Michael Pinder of the Moody Blues, and I still think it's one of the MOST useful purchases that I've ever made. It is endlessly weird sounding and interesting:
CD List

Quote:
3) On the off chance that any of you know any trivia or stories related to the track, would you care to share?
Don't know much about the recording, but there are some Satanic Majesties period outtake CDs floating around. I have one that is OK. As good as this stuff is, I wish that it was recorded at EMI.

To quote Bill Wyman from 25x5..... "it was a period of drug problems...."
Old 5th January 2011
Here for the gear

I think Baskervils is right: you just lean in to the microphone, and Think Trippy! And yes, maybe a bit of help from the fader, maybe even on the way in. Why not?
It does appear that Brian had been up very late, no doubt practicing his scales on the Clavioline.
Old 5th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Easter View Post
It does appear that Brian had been up very late, no doubt practicing his scales on the Clavioline.
Or playing hide the Mars bar....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_bar_party
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
I guess the footage speaks for itself.

The studio footage is actually from 'One plus one', filmed by Jean-Luc Godard during the 'Sympathy for the devil' sessions which I hope someday will see a release without the 'weird-for-weird's sake' crapola that Godard was putting up against the Stones at Olympic Studios. In his bio, Keith stated that he liked Godard very much and admired his earlier films but thought that he was messed up on acid for 'One Plus one' and thus the film was just horrible.

'We love you' is really a showcase for the amazing Nicky Hopkins on piano. Since Brian Jones was beginning to leave the earth by this time, Hopkins pretty much became Keith's foil in the studio. He's all over Beggar's Banquet' which is my fave Stones album.
Uh, no. The hair is too short, and the shirts are too frilly. Filmed at Olympic, though, which might have thrown you off.
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Nut

Only the Stones could get away with wearing frilly shirts, any one else would be considered ponces.
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Nut

They also had frilly shirts in Sympathy for The Devil/One Plus One, but the hair is too short to be from that film. What a wingnut Keith is, no wonder he grew his hair!
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Just finishing Keiths book 'Life'; very interesting, Brian had morphed into a huge 'tosser' apparently by this period and consequently Mick and Keef were pretty horrible to him in return.

Christ almighty whoever edited that film didn't do him any favours did they? how sponged out is he there!
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Nut

The Stones wouldn't be the Stones if they weren't pilled up, coked up, snorted up or toked up. would they?
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
With all due respect, overrated is certainly not an adjective used in describing the Beatles. There I said it. If however you are talking about Gerry and the lads well then ok.
Each to their own, overrated in my book, even the best Beatles song doesn't come close to the work of The Stones, Creedence, The Doors, The Kinks, The Beach Boys and many others IMHO. I just don't get what all the fuss is about, vomit enducing saccharine pop in their early years and nonsense for the sake of nonsense in their latter years.
Old 11th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbongo View Post
Just finishing Keiths book 'Life'; very interesting, Brian had morphed into a huge 'tosser' apparently by this period and consequently Mick and Keef were pretty horrible to him in return.

Christ almighty whoever edited that film didn't do him any favours did they? how sponged out is he there!
In all of the films from Satanic Majesties on, Brian looks pretty doped out.

It seems like Mick and Keith are pretty diplomatic about Brian in later documentary films.

Charlie and Bill seem to have guilt about Brian's sacking.

Old 12th January 2011
Gear Nut

Excellent video
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just don't get what all the fuss is about
I believe that's what's known as "stating the obvious".
Old 19th January 2011
Gear Nut

It's great to see the band then, jumping around like their asses are on fire. And also them now they have matured. They are like 2 completely separate sets of people.
Old 26th January 2011
Gear Maniac

I hope they continue to go old disgracefully and try not to get all hip and sad like Sir Cliff Richard.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search