The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Rolling Stones - We Love You Desktop Synthesizers
Old 26th January 2011
Gear Maniac

That's a mellotron-one of the brass tape banks, played by Brian Jones. By all counts, Brian could be a real jerk and was wasted a lot of the time. However, his playing is why Satanic Majesties and the early Stones stuff is so magical to me today. He seemed to always be able to add a perfect unusual part to many of the songs. His 'Tron work on this and 2000 light years is fantastic.

I LOVE the Mick Taylor era, but towards the end, they seemed to run out of steam (which continues in their RW stuff in my opinion) without having a creative nutcase in the band.

CM
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

The Rolling Stones - We Love You

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmorris74
However, his playing is why Satanic Majesties and the early Stones stuff is so magical to me today. He seemed to always be able to add a perfect unusual part to many of the songs. His 'Tron work on this and 2000 light years is fantastic.
a big +1 there! couldn't agree more

Hobson

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear
Another +1 on Brian. Sitar on Paint it Black, the marimba licks on Under My Thumb just for a couple more.
Old 28th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Under My Thumb and Paint It Black, 2 of my favorite Stones Tracks.
Old 1st February 2011
Gear Maniac

We do need to hear some new studio stuff from them tho.
Old 4th February 2011
Gear Nut

When or what was their last studio track release? Was it Anybody Seen My Baby in 1997?
Old 4th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneye13 View Post
I hope they continue to go old disgracefully and try not to get all hip and sad like Sir Cliff Richard.
Mick refused to be knighted by the queen.
So no worries there.
Old 8th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Mick refused to be knighted by the queen.
So no worries there.
Is that true? Why?
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneye13 View Post
We do need to hear some new studio stuff from them tho.
Do we really? They haven't made a good record since Some Girls and that was 35 years ago.
Old 10th February 2011
Gear Maniac

They have a unique style, which to be quite honest is lacking in today's music. It's all very blah, like pudding.
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Loved Jaggers performance @ the Grammies. Liked the jacket too.
Old 16th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
Do we really? They haven't made a good record since Some Girls and that was 35 years ago.
Last studio album from the Stones is very good...

The still produce good stuff.

And Bridge to Babylon is one of the best albums of the last 20 years.
Old 17th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversounds View Post
Last studio album from the Stones is very good...

The still produce good stuff.

And Bridge to Babylon is one of the best albums of the last 20 years.
+1 on that
Old 3rd January 2012
Here for the gear

we love you sessions

if you have the time and access, the complete Satanic Sessions box set is worth a listen. you can hear Keith, Nicky Hopkins and Charlie and often Brian basically jamming TSMR and this single over 8 discs (!) and the songs and sound taking shape with very little input from Mick and Bill for the most part. Nicky was the best and all over so many of the greatest LP's ever from the stones, kinks, who, beatles, jeff beck, lennon, harrison, etc. it really is all in ones taste as i would never put creedence, the doors anywhere near the beatles and stones in my 'pantheon'. after some girls to me the stones became strictly a singles band, and i can't even listen to the singles post-1981...anyway, good to be back on here, its been years and another registration long forgotten since i was here...

Last edited by doctorfilth; 3rd January 2012 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: can't type proper like....
Old 3rd January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
I don't know anything about the recording but that is one of my favourite Stones songs too.

It would be nice to see more threads about the Stones and less about that overrated lot from Liverpool who I can't bring myself to name out loud!
well I guess you're gonna hate the fact that there are a couple of Beatles on this track!!!heh

Lots of tape loops and effects on this one....
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
well I guess you're gonna hate the fact that there are a couple of Beatles on this track!!!heh...
And don't mention that it was George Harrison who helped get them signed to Decca. Or that they only started writing after watching John and Paul finish off I Wanna Be Your Man in front of them (their first major hit,) or that Andrew Loog Oldham used to work for Brian Epstein and deliberately sold them as the anti-Beatles or that...
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorfilth View Post
Nicky was the best and all over so many of the greatest LP's ever from the stones, kinks, who, beatles, jeff beck, lennon, harrison, etc.
Agreed re Nicky Hopkins, a real master. But he only ever played on one Beatles song, Revolution.
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
Each to their own, overrated in my book, even the best Beatles song doesn't come close to the work of The Stones, Creedence, The Doors, The Kinks, The Beach Boys and many others IMHO. I just don't get what all the fuss is about, vomit enducing saccharine pop in their early years and nonsense for the sake of nonsense in their latter years.
The Beach Boys ?!? I am at a loss for words really. I mean Oh-My-God!
Old 4th January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
The Beach Boys ?!? I am at a loss for words really. I mean Oh-My-God!
im with you. I love the Beach boys - but they were a comedy band to me!
Old 5th January 2012
Gear Maniac

go for broke

As a songwriting duo Mick and Keith are under-rated i think. Great band, but great tunes as well. They inspired me to really put elbow grease into a track when i heard all the re-workings and high take count on boots.

Now when someone is bragging they did this or that "in one take" i almost always reply... "it sounds like it."
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorfilth View Post
if you have the time and access, the complete Satanic Sessions box set is worth a listen. you can hear Keith, Nicky Hopkins and Charlie and often Brian basically jamming TSMR and this single over 8 discs (!) and the songs and sound taking shape with very little input from Mick and Bill for the most part. Nicky was the best and all over so many of the greatest LP's ever from the stones, kinks, who, beatles, jeff beck, lennon, harrison, etc. it really is all in ones taste as i would never put creedence, the doors anywhere near the beatles and stones in my 'pantheon'. after some girls to me the stones became strictly a singles band, and i can't even listen to the singles post-1981...anyway, good to be back on here, its been years and another registration long forgotten since i was here...
Amazingly underrated album, IMO. Overshadowed by the fact that they were following the Beatles´ Pepper pattern, and by their own re-invention in 1968. I see it more as a combination of Zappa´s Freak out and Pepper. Song by song is fantastic, if you edit out some psychedelic excesses. I bet if you blast "Citadel" in any bar now, many would think it´s a great new indie band of 2012. That kick drum always amazed me.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search