The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Signal Chain Question
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

Signal Chain Question

I run PTHD 8 all ITB and am trying to set up the plug-ins on my tracks to simulate an analog situation. Basically as if I (specifically) were using an SSL console. So my question has to do with the way I order the plugs in the chain seeing as I'm unfamiliar with the real thing. So i.e. My guitar chain is as follows: VEQ4>Pultec>LA-2A (to simulate tracking with EQ and comp on the way in) then I usually do an LA-3>SSL strip for heavier mixing. The question I have is how to order the SSL and LA-3. I want to be EQ pre Comp in the mixing stage, but I was told in a real situation that the SSL is always the last in the chain. So should I put the SSL or LA-3 last?
Old 3rd January 2011
The plugin, like the original, allows you to compress post or pre EQ. You have models of outboard compressors and EQ - and with the original desk, the mix engineer would have configured the order to suit what they wanted on the day.

So simply do what they would have done. Choose the gear and the order of that gear in the chain to achieve what needs to be done for that particular track at that particular moment in time.

There is no simple answer. My personal theory is that if you need to remove unwanted frequencies with EQ, then it is best to do that first. Otherwise the compressor will be reacting to those unwanted frequencies - which seems pointless and possibly very bad. On the other hand - a compressor will affect the spectral balance, so there might be a need to eq afterwards anyway.

Try all options. No EQ, pre, post, both. Whatever blows your skirt up.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search