The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buying a new Ikea desk for my studio,wondering about the aluminum legs.. Acoustic Panels
Old 3rd January 2011
Buying a new Ikea desk for my studio,wondering about the aluminum legs..

I'm about to buy an ikea desk for my studio (I am not a manual person, cannot cut wood, I have a hard time even building the ikea stuff etc etc) And I'm about to buy a Galant desk, here it is:

I'll be putting a sub-woofer on the ground, and the legs are aluminum. Is there anything I should worry about as far as sound? Reflections etc?

I'll be putting 1 synth on the far left, 1 Keyboard controller on the right side (the bigger part of the desk), I might be putting the speakers on monitor stands.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

I have that desk (galant) works fine
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

You shouldn't have a problem. I have that same desk in my composing room, with NHT stereo subs in the corners behind it. Subs are not really directional. The aluminum legs should be no factor.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I have a flat galant desk, no issues with 10" sub.
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakegaston View Post
I have that desk (galant) works fine
That's good to know, I'm glad it works great for you. Do you have your speakers on separate stands or are they on the table?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
You shouldn't have a problem. I have that same desk in my composing room, with NHT stereo subs in the corners behind it. Subs are not really directional. The aluminum legs should be no factor.
Ok good to know.
Old 3rd January 2011
Do you guys have your speakers on Monitor Stands?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
If you think its iffy when you set it up, go to Home Depot or similar, buy 3 sections of 3 inch PVC piping from the plumping section or the height of the desk, and 4 flanges (They stick on the ends and allow it to be attached to floor or walls. Will cost 20.00 bucks.

These will make two extra suppprt legs...put in the rear as needed. Spray paint silver or metallic grey. Whatever....people will be sitting in front of it all the time. PVC like that can support hundreds of pounds.

Nice desk. Enjoy.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Speaking of stands and ikea. I use two of their wooden bar stools as speaker stands. Put two black sheets over them and they blend right in. Perfect height for monitors when sitting at a desk.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Yes.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yup. Made a huge difference for me.
I have twins now, but i had bm5a's when i first got my stands + recoil stabilizers. They made a VERY noticeable difference (and this was in an untreated room that was 11x13x11 that had the worst bass response i've EVER heard.)
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

define "noticable difference". Bass, clarity, what?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
I have the galant desk with the extender (minus the semi-ovals) and I had to take it apart. Currently I am just using the frame with my monitoring off to the side and a tascam 1/4" 8 track in the center. Within the next week or two I'm probably putting the tape deck to the side and my computer monitor back in center, and getting rid of the galant all together. Unless you have a pretty big room... that thing takes up a lot of space and I've found my room sounds better since taking the desk part off and using just the frame.

-Danny
Old 3rd January 2011
Ok great, I saw some for 35 bucks each at the music store, I'll get some. Then I'll put a Mopad in between the speaker and the stand.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another yup here.. getting my monitors off the desk helped big big time

I use an Ikea desk myself... a Jerker that I cut down to just a desk top. Works great and sturdy as hell. Never had any audible problems with the hollow alluminum legs. Rock on
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla View Post
Another yup here.. getting my monitors off the desk helped big big time

I use an Ikea desk myself... a Jerker that I cut down to just a desk top. Works great and sturdy as hell. Never had any audible problems with the hollow alluminum legs. Rock on
That's another option, I could get the Frederik it's called now. I checked it out, looked nice but I just didn't know about the legs. I'll go tomorrow and make a final decision, I need this ugly desk out of my sight!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
the legs.
Chris, they have the A-legs as well.

+ a shelf

ns

Last edited by nightscope; 3rd January 2011 at 09:41 AM..
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Buy some pipe insulation, designed for a diameter of pipe similar to the thickness of the wood. You can then run the pipe insulation around the near-edge of the desk to create a console-like wrist pad, with a leather cover if you're feeling creative.
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post
Chris, they have the A-legs as well.

+ a shelf

ns
Does it make a difference which legs? I think I'll be getting the Shelf too.
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
Buy some pipe insulation, designed for a diameter of pipe similar to the thickness of the wood. You can then run the pipe insulation around the near-edge of the desk to create a console-like wrist pad, with a leather cover if you're feeling creative.
Unfortunately I really suck at any manual work. I could only do my bass traps and that was it.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Does it make a difference which legs?
I don't think so, both are heavy duty.

The pullout keyboard shelves are good. Summera.

+ the cable racks for underneath, Signum.

ns
Old 3rd January 2011
Yeah I also saw the pulling shelf for the keyboard, I bought that one already. I'm excited to get my desk now!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

If i were u i wuld skip ikea products. They look nice yes, but there material of woods are not top of the. Line. I had a similar desk, lasted about a year before the wood began to warp, and i didnt have much stuff on the table
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

+1 for a Galant desk and monitor stands (although my desk is just a plain rectangle).

Very easy to put together too...
Old 3rd January 2011
I liked the Galant Desk but I find that the Jonas desk fit my environment best.

So this is the one I bought:

It's exactly what I'm looking for, simple yet sleek.

Anyway, later everyone, I'll be installing it!
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear
I've liked that desk whenever I've been at the ikea store too...

Post a pick when you eventually allen-key that mother and setup your gear etc so we get a sense of size and scale. How will the side table be incorporated etc

I've always wondered if veneer over chip/particle board was actually better than solid pieces of wood etc in terms of acoustics. It seems like particle board or even mdf would be much less likely to resonate than ply or a solid piece of hardwood and thus be slightly more acoustically transparent maybe? There is probably no difference if your monitors are well placed but I've been wondering about that lately
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

You guys are KILLIN me!!!
Old 4th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensaddiction View Post
I've liked that desk whenever I've been at the ikea store too...

Post a pick when you eventually allen-key that mother and setup your gear etc so we get a sense of size and scale. How will the side table be incorporated etc

I've always wondered if veneer over chip/particle board was actually better than solid pieces of wood etc in terms of acoustics. It seems like particle board or even mdf would be much less likely to resonate than ply or a solid piece of hardwood and thus be slightly more acoustically transparent maybe? There is probably no difference if your monitors are well placed but I've been wondering about that lately
I'll be posting a pic really soon, all in all it looks great!
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That's good to know, I'm glad it works great for you. Do you have your speakers on separate stands or are they on the table?

Ok good to know.

EDIT: Picture too big just use this link
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7960927/Pho...annocables.JPG

Very small and simple home setup.... room is done being treated now and I have a Mac Pro instead of that blehh MBP. Also have a keyboard on the desk... Everything works fine no issues.

Heres what I do for cable management. I velcro stuff to the bottom of the desk, and use hangers to seperate power cables and audio cables.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7960927/Pho...management.JPG
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikymike View Post
You guys are KILLIN me!!!
If you gave your furniture vaguely Scandinavian names with lots of umlauts and "O"s with slashes through them, put it in a catalog full of similarly named and styled home furnishings, and showed it being used by attractive blond women, you might sell more. You might also consider integrating more laminated pressed cardboard and DIY hex bolt construction.

Ikea fills a niche. It looks better than its competition and it's cheap. No one is going to mistake it for purpose-built handmade solid wood studio furniture. Your stuff looks awesome.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search