The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buying a new Ikea desk for my studio,wondering about the aluminum legs.. Acoustic Panels
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

hi chris,
don´t worry about low frequency reflections (if the wavelength is larger than the object that could stop the transmission, the wave will travel around the object, in this case, it will do)
get monitor stands!
put this under your stands:
1. concrete plate 7cm /about 2,5")
2. rubber (2" or more")...not much more, do´t know the US carpenter market sizes
3. conrete plate about 2,5"
this system will eliminate transmission (well, its 17-18Hz than, still travelling, but not hearable) through the stand to your floor
it´s inexpensive and it´s a night and day experience (clear, detailed bass frequencies)...also put this under your sub
happy new year
Old 8th January 2011
Hey everyone, so I was able to remove my old desk and put the new desk instead, here are the pictures. I really love this working environment.

Old 8th January 2011
Now... don't we need a song "Aluminum Legs" to finish the whole story? Like I heard this song once, "Robot Girl," about a manufactured beauty that was somehow beamed up to love-starved space explorers...

(By the way... here is the song....)

http://www.4shared.com/audio/Ka5jUvU...lock_Baby.html
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

two words: cable management.

my ocd would be off the hook if I had to mouse around in there.

Old 8th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74 View Post
two words: cable management.

my ocd would be off the hook if I had to mouse around in there.

Haha, I am going to change to a wireless mouse! As far as the wires, well I don't see them, I'm staring at the screen not the floor! I do understand that a lot of people would go ape**** if they saw cables like that.
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Hey everyone, so I was able to remove my old desk and put the new desk instead, here are the pictures. I really love this working environment.

This is a joke? Right?

This is a joke? Right?
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Dont the jewel case speaker stands cause digital clipping though?
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Chris. Get in touch with me. I will build you an awesome desk with built in cable management and speaker stands for 1/2 price. PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE!!! your killing me!!!
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Ill even throw in some acoustical treatment!!!
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Just messin. Desk looks great.
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

You guys are so freaking creative!!!!
I'm jealous!

I can't nail 2 pieces of wood together without splitting something, usually my thumb

I'm an excellent tech and mechanic though.
Woodworking, even at the simplest level, is just not my gift!
Old 8th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
You guys are so freaking creative!!!!
I'm jealous!

I can't nail 2 pieces of wood together without splitting something, usually my thumb

I'm an excellent tech and mechanic though.
Woodworking, even at the simplest level, is just not my gift!
Me neither, that's why I just get stuff at Ikea or other places.
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Head

I'm liking these desks, have been toying with trying to sort out my little area too.

Please tell us more about how to deal with cable management issues! heh
Old 9th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrise View Post
I'm liking these desks, have been toying with trying to sort out my little area too.

Please tell us more about how to deal with cable management issues! heh
I... Don't look at them?
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrise View Post
cable
IKEA | Search result

ns
Old 9th January 2011
Haha it's funny how you guys are so anal about anything! I really don't care about the cables, thanks though!
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Maniac

I have noticed with furniture that I have which have metal legs and not much weight on it, that it tends to resonate (ringing depending on the noise it's resonating from) especially if it is close to vocalists.

I usually wrap some acoustic foam around the metal poles or stands to prevent this.
Old 10th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppee View Post
I have noticed with furniture that I have which have metal legs and not much weight on it, that it tends to resonate (ringing depending on the noise it's resonating from) especially if it is close to vocalists.

I usually wrap some acoustic foam around the metal poles or stands to prevent this.
That's one of the reason why I didn't get the galant desk and I got that one, because it's all one piece, no metal or anything.
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Head

haha, thanks guys!
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

you should definitely have monitor stands....it allows you to place your monitors at a perfect height, a bit farther away, and clears up desk space, plus it isolates them much better

i have a similar ikea desk plus stands and a sub, however my desk is modular and i can add pieces to it in many different ways. I have it small right now because I have the keyboard stand now...before i had it really long with another keyboard on it.

Old 10th January 2011
Your setup looks really nice!
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikymike View Post
Just messin. Desk looks great.
I'm going to need a desk for tascam dm-4800,casio wk-1800 midi keyboard which I want to keep in front of me,JBL LSR4328P Pak Monitor System rather have the monitors on a bridge instead on stand,need a place for danderousd-box,500 series 6-slot chasis and room for a two 24' monitors
how much for athumbsup sketch????

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search