The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Promotion
Old 3rd January 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
Promotion

Hi Guys,

After spending many months on GS researching I have finally got the bands debut e.p together.

Now comes the matter of promtion, I have not really put that much thought into it and don't know where to start..

I have some local radio play but what and we will be playing regular gigs, but what else? I want to promote without mindless spamming and annoying people, but then again if you don't promote enough then nobody knows you exist.

YouTube - ShadowKind - Vapours This is us..
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyvect View Post
Hi Guys,

After spending many months on GS researching I have finally got the bands debut e.p together.

Now comes the matter of promtion, I have not really put that much thought into it and don't know where to start..

I have some local radio play but what and we will be playing regular gigs, but what else? I want to promote without mindless spamming and annoying people, but then again if you don't promote enough then nobody knows you exist.

Its an old business model but it works, gig and gig, build up your fan base. Sell your music at gigs. Get peoples emails addresses and send them songs once a month for free, even if its roughs. Post links to videos as well. Once you develop a fan base, stay in touch with them with monthly emails and remember, always give them something. I did this recently with a solo piano CD, sending a free song with two emails. People really responded to that telling me how those songs made them look forward to getting the actual CD.

Honestly, I know the Internet is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread but its all about connecting with people and the best way to do that is face to face. Much success with your bands EP.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Gigging now a days is everything once you can establish that. Concert ticket sales were down last year so much even Sting had to lower some his Colorado tickets to $0.75 cents to try and sell seats. This alone speaks for its self and tell people there the music biz in serious problems so you sometimes have to accept what you can get these days.
Old 3rd January 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
I do agree, I have a fair few gigs planned for next year. But it is the good old case how do you get people to your gig? You have to promote.. any ideas?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do agree, I have a fair few gigs planned for next year. But it is the good old case how do you get people to your gig? You have to promote.. any ideas?
The largest crowds I was able to gather were generated through word of mouth. Band members inviting their friends and family, their friends invite friends, etc... I have not performed out since 2006 and that was before Facebook so that would definitely play some part in promotion. So if you`re no on there already, I would start building some fan base there with your own page on ReverbNation and last time I checked, you could link the two pages.

If you`re going to gig this year, start promoting yourself now.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

One recommendation i have is something we used to do 10 years ago, that since realising even getting people to download mp3's for FREE online is hard work, we thought we'd give a go and i seems to work:
After recording our album, we got an opening slot on a tour for pretty muchh the biggest band in our genre. So we made 10,000 3-track promo cds, put a flyer in each one (you can get 10,000 A6 flyers printed for like £80) with tour dates on one side and album & merch store link on the other, and went on the whole tour and gave them out.
Merch sales went up online, and a hell of a lot more people know our music now. yea, it took financial investment but i do feel you have to work for it pretty hard nowadays.
It seems to have worked anyway - Way more gig offers, people at shows saying "hey, i got your cd outside this show a while back", and now we're off on a wole tour with another huge band in our genre.
Hey, it might be a terrible idea, but in our case, it seemed to work
Old 3rd January 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
Yeah got a facebook profile, I am just putting stuff up on last .fm and myspace.. Andy keep it coming any other suggestions are well appreciated.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Mate, i'd gladly share some ideas with you, i've been touring many years and at one point was on the road 300 days of the year - PM me and i'll help ya with anything you want to know - Bit rushed for time at this exact second to write an in-depth reply on here

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search