The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Interface Upgrade Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Interface Upgrade

Right now I record rap vocals on a Digi 003. I just use the stock pre's and converters.

Would it be better to buy the new Mbox 3 Pro to replace the Digi 003? Or should I add the API A2D to my current set up? Ive heard that the new mbox 3 pre's + converters sound better than the digi 003's, plus its mobile as well. But if I were to get the mbox 3 pro i was thinking instead to get the Metric Halo ULN-2, and spend the extra money if its that much better.

Again, Im only recording rap vocals, maybe a guitar sometimes. Right now I have a Rode k2 for a mic, and just use my Digi 003 for converters and pres and my macbook pro.

Thanks guys.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Can sum1 please help?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

IMO, the A2D is the way to go -- keep the 003 as your interface and PT dongle and use the A2D for its pres and AD.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Are the converters up to par with Apogee's?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I can;t comment on the other converters having never owned them, but the ULN2 was the best investment I made several years ago and it is still going strong. You can't go wrong with that box and company.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

yea ive heard great reviews of metric halo products.. would this be considered a step up from my Digi 003? I just record vox for now btw.

Thanks
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by good musik View Post
yea ive heard great reviews of metric halo products.. would this be considered a step up from my Digi 003? I just record vox for now btw.

Thanks
I've never used a Digi anything, but I'm sure someone can comment on it.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

thanks. can sum1 else comment that metric halo is better than avid products, and if its a step up from my digi 003?
Old 4th January 2011
Everything MH makes is a big step up from an 003. I've not measured Avid's latest HDIOs, but the old 2882 measurably beat HD192's up to 96K in terms of fidelity when I last tested. The ULN8 is on a different plane entirely, at any sample rate.

-d-
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Head

Dude, get yourself a used Metric halo ULN2....even a legacy box...its the beez knees...stellar! Made my MBOX Pro2 pee it's panties and run away

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search