The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves permanently lowers prices? Dynamics Plugins
Old 7th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhile View Post
Still i suspect they will go to V8 for the 64 bit update and i expect that will bring some new toys to the bundles.
I can confirm that... Not sure about 64 bit yet (due to ilok), but a lot of bundles will be seeing some new toys and lots of the "older" plugs will be getting some fresh coding in the near future.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Well.. I don't like the WUP thing.. I feel like you buy some plugs.. if there's not new features.. you should be able to update it to run on a new OS's without having to pay more.. I mean.. I work on a Mac and Apple sometimes comes out with a new OS a year..

That's just how I feel about it.. and I don't think that makes me a hater.

I don't think it's cause I don't understand economics.. I think it has more to do with.. just kinda how Waves does there thing.. They could organize there product lines in other ways.. bundle things differently.. find other policies.. that could make it work..

I've felt that Waves's plugs were a little over priced.. or at least some of there plugs were over priced.

I bought into the Gold bundle a year ago for way less then the list price.. and.. I must say that I do like the bundle and think it's a good deal better then what typically comes with a DAW.. Though they are older plugs.. they're still of a very good quality... though clearly they aren't of the terribly exciting sort.

But I understand the sentiment that it's not much more then what you get with your DAW..

I guess the big issue for me is the bundles. I feel like.. if I'm going to buy a bundle I want to feel like I'm getting "a deal." It's gotta be like.. I was planning on buying x, y, and z.. and for ether less then the cost of x, y, and z I get x, y, and z.. or I get z, y, and z... plus some other stuff that at least looks appealing to me.. for the price of x, y, and z.

And it has to be compelling enough that if I were considering a competitor.. that it really lures me away from that... or.. well I just mean that bundles have to be more sorta more compelling then the individual product...

With Waves I feel like.. there bundles often don't feel quite ideal to me or I at least have a perception where I'm not quite sure that the plugs in question are worth the price tag... more so if I feel like.. the only way there plugs are priced reasonably is if I buy into a bundle.. and none of there bundles makes sense to me.

And it's true that it's the Mercury bundle that looks most appealing to me.. and in my mind that immediately gets compared with the UAD Omni bundle... and the Omni bundle.. or like say a McDSP Emerald bundle plus something else or.. etc etc etc...

In my mind.. and this isn't to be confused with reality... the UAD Omni bundle seems a hell of a lot more exciting then the whole of the Waves Mercury. I think it's cause.. so much of the waves stuff feels a little vanilla to me, ya know?

I look at UAD and I think "wow, that looks like a really cool reverb" and I look at Waves.. and.. there's not a single reverb in there that excites me.. and the same holds true for delays in that comparison..

I guess the bottom line is Waves doesn't make $6k worth of plugs that I'm all that interested in... Beyond what I own.. I have some interest in the studio classics but thats about it.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
You generally do get additional plug-ins over the course of the year and credit toward purchasing an additional plug with WUP.
again, on the big bundles this may be true, but after several years, the renn maxx bundle has added nothing! (well, not nothing, they did add the sidechain to their compressor)

and you get half credit toward buying more for a short time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search