The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves permanently lowers prices? Dynamics Plugins
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
In what respect have they fallen behind?
Name the best ten reverb plugs out there? Are any of them Waves? Nope.

Name the best ten limiter plugs out there? Are any of them Waves? Nope.

Name the best 10 EQ plugs out there? Are any of them Waves? At best, maybe the Waves API makes the list.

I could go on and on. Waves would have dominated these categories 10 to 15 years ago, now it's barely visible. The company makes dozens of plugs, and very few of them rank with the best anymore.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
Sorry I understand WUP.
But there is no reason why I have to pay again and again for a bundle.
For example the AU standard is the same for years but if my OS changes WUP.

So no Waves Bundle again for me:

They take my money for nothing; at least the plug ins are great yes....
But WUP over and over again is =

Waves SSL Bundle for me now 600 bought WUP = 800$ next WUp it will be 1000$ next WUP 1200$....1400$ etc...

I am not their BANKER giving credit for new development I am the customer.
Let me know when UAD starts to WUP it will be the time I buy HW only.
You have no idea what you`re talking about. Read the following link before you comment further about the Waves WUP.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
I don't understand why people feel this is an unfair principle.

If I sell you a petrol engine then you decide you want to go with a diesel fuel tank, is it unfair for me to ask you to give me more money to replace it with a diesel engine?

(I'm absolutely speechless.)
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plop View Post
Name the best ten reverb plugs out there? Are any of them Waves? Nope.

Name the best ten limiter plugs out there? Are any of them Waves? Nope.

Name the best 10 EQ plugs out there? Are any of them Waves? At best, maybe the Waves API makes the list.

I could go on and on. Waves would have dominated these categories 10 to 15 years ago, now it's barely visible. The company makes dozens of plugs, and very few of them rank with the best anymore.
Thats all subjective which makes it pointless to argue with you. Just out of curiousity, what are your votes for the 10 best reverb plugs? limiter plugs? EQ plugs?

And what plugs do you own?

Thanks.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivialand View Post

(I'm absolutely speechless.)
My thought exactly!
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
And what plugs do you own?
Waves, UAD, Soundtoys, Softube, Flux, Relab, Slate, Lexicon, URS, Abbey Road, Elysia, Sonnox, and some others I can't think of.

Of these, the URS and Waves stuff gets used the least.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

the waves plug-ins can do such cool things I do NOT see the reason for the hate.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The only people who get pissed off by WUP, are the people who still don't understand it.
lol seroiusly
I read it directly from the site, you do NOT have to pay the WUP!!!! jesus
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Wow, their plugins just got cracked for real and they're bringing the prices down.
Tbi, I don't feel bad at all for vampire plugin companies.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

this just arrived in inbox...

seems it's here to stay =)

gutted for a mate whose girlfriend just bought him the Classics Collection for xmas, though!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
IT IS AN OPTIONAL PROGRAM!
So it's optional unless you want to: upgrade the plugin, update your package, sell, upgrade your daw, change platform, purchase a new daw, purchase another waves plugin not part of your original deal etc.... ?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
Not a lot of waves stuff really catches my attention. Got the diamond bundle, and it mostly just sits there...

The waves stuff is clean and transparent, but that's what digital stuff is supposed to sound like. However, it's to the point that I can't subjectively tell their limiters from say, PT's or Live's limiters.

If you think you can, you just actually need to learn how to properly use a limiter. Nomad Factory is really the only standard fare mix plugins that have caught my ears because they sound interesting. (not necessarily *good* but they destroy the sound in an interesting way I've never heard a plugin do) For the most part though, I've given up and just use whatever comes with the DAW because I'm not a preset pusher and know how to set parameters to get the sound I want.

Only in the professional audio community do you hear people throwing their stuff through countless devices to color the sound then complain when their converters don't sound transparent enough. I think I should make that line my sig, since it's about the 8th time I've said it now on this forum. :P
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

Honestly the price drop does not surprise me. Am I the only person that thought Waves Plug ins were over priced? Maybe, maybe not, but I always have. They are great and that`s why I bought them, I spend a pretty penny on their plugins, because the do what they do great.

I just don`t understand why they had to wait soo long to realize that all that needed to happen was for someone to crack them in order to lower prices to where people could actually afford them. Didn`t they learn anything from the music industry? Records got so expensive that people stopped buying them and downloading them instead, thing which forever changed the music industry. So the music industry got with the times, and they still struggle.

I value the work of the people behind Waves and what they have done, BUT if they can sell their plug ins for the price they do now, why not do it before and maybe be known as a great plugin company and great prices as opposed to, great but over priced. At some point someone was going to crack them and make them free for everyone.

I`ve been buying their plugins for a while, I am kinda pissed that I spent 40% more than people will now but, at least I`m happy that whatever else new they put out will be priced at a nice price.

I`m into paying for peoples work, I make a living out of this industry, I also believe in fair prices.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would disagree. I think (and know) there is a huge part of the Waves target market who would have bought 1 or 2 packs but instead downloaded the whole lot.

I think to think that Waves only target market in the modern day of loads of independent mixing and mastering services is major studios who need to be seen to be legit, you have not kept a very close eye on the development of the recording industry.

I have to agree. I could just buy the spendy Wave Vocal Rider, or I can just download Waves 7 r16 and have everything, and Waves 7 r16 was released for pc and mac just a week or two ago, so I know a lot of people are downloading that like crazy.

Me, im not doing either, I dont want to install their vst3 waveshell, go to my plugin list and see all the categories and stuff when I just want to use their one plugin, but I also dont want to pay hundreds of dollars for what I usually do by hand.

Im gonna check a few of their plugs now with the price being lowered, I may find a good deal on a smaller bundle or something, or ill wait for Wave Rider to be released for pc/vst.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrick View Post
I have to agree. I could just buy the spendy Wave Vocal Rider, or I can just download Waves 7 r16 and have everything, and Waves 7 r16 was released for pc and mac just a week or two ago, so I know a lot of people are downloading that like crazy.

Me, im not doing either, I dont want to install their vst3 waveshell, go to my plugin list and see all the categories and stuff when I just want to use their one plugin, but I also dont want to pay hundreds of dollars for what I usually do by hand.

Im gonna check a few of their plugs now with the price being lowered, I may find a good deal on a smaller bundle or something, or ill wait for Wave Rider to be released for pc/vst.
They made a plugin for this? Seriously, that just makes me want to get my C++ reference and DSP manuals out again this week and learn some new functions. Something as simple as this, can easily be done in max in about 15 minutes and all that did was encourage me to go continue learning how to code for real. :P
Old 3rd January 2011

... go do it!! The Waves vocal rider is a very useful plugin though I don't use it as intended!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by systematika View Post
Only in the professional audio community do you hear people throwing their stuff through countless devices to color the sound then complain when their converters don't sound transparent enough. I think I should make that line my sig, since it's about the 8th time I've said it now on this forum. :P
It's all just a fashion thing. At the moment it's cool to slag off the Avalon 737 because it's far too coloured, but you also need to slag off Digital Recording because it doesn't have any colour and is far too sterile.

It's only 2-3 years since the 737 was the best pre-amp on here and tape recording was annoying because of the noise floor.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's all just a fashion thing. At the moment it's cool to slag off the Avalon 737 because it's far too coloured, but you also need to slag off Digital Recording because it doesn't have any colour and is far too sterile.

It's only 2-3 years since the 737 was the best pre-amp on here and tape recording was annoying because of the noise floor.
I think the Avalon is really bright, more pristine rather than "colored" which to me means has lots of up front and flat mids with less presence. Or is that term now "warmth"? Who knows, since as you said these things change every day! :P

AKG 414 XLII running thru a 737 is horribly bright and pristine to the point it's over exaggerated...

Most of the stuff I record when I'm recording vocals are hip hop projects, and we've been using a RE27 n/d running thru the 737 and then thru a distressor before the conversion. It's a combination I quite like, up front but not hyped and kind of lo-fi in the frequencies but very defined at the same time.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
this just arrived in inbox...

seems it's here to stay =)

gutted for a mate whose girlfriend just bought him the Classics Collection for xmas, though!
For the last 3 months, there whas a 40% discount, so I don't think she payed to much! heh
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
For the last 3 months, there whas a 40% discount, so I don't think she payed to much!
on all plugins?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
on all plugins?
On every single bundle they have, including upgrade bundles if I remember correctly. heh
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
on all plugins?
Yes.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

Good news! I definitely gonna get my hands on their Hybrid compressor and delay at these new prices. I haven't payed my WUp for a while as well so if I do it before I'll get one of the Hybrid plugins more of less for free. Nice!
Old 3rd January 2011
API 2500 plug-in now available on its own too... RRP is $400 though, ouch. Might do it with my next WUP credit...
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

It's really simple. If you don't like Waves (or their WUP policy), then don't buy it.
It's your loss, but that's your choice. I own the Mercury bundle and I think they are great plugins and worth the money.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

since using Logic from V3 I've probably had to pay nearly four times it's current cost.

WUP gets it in the neck partly because it's the final nail in the coffin of all the other upgrade costs which people don't seem to complain about but build up a head of steam.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the issue the fact remains, i own plugins that still work perfectly fine on Windows 7 that were designed for win 98 and they haven't cost me a penny to re-install, upgrade my OS etc etc. I dig the box out run the set up expecting an error message with each new OS and ... they work just fine. Plus, they have never needed updates or bug fixes, they worked from the word go cos the coding was done properly.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
It's really simple. If you don't like Waves (or their WUP policy), then don't buy it.
It's your loss, but that's your choice. I own the Mercury bundle and I think they are great plugins and worth the money.
I agree Tony. I don`t remember the last time I saw such love/hate for a product. I don`t get the hate thing at all.

If you don`t like the way these plugs sound people, then move on. You don`t have to pay for it if you don`t want it. Someone commented that the Waves plugs are transparent... yes, thats something really quite useful for just about everything I do. If I want to color the sound, I`ll do so at the source. I just don`t get it. The CLA bundle is probably the only Waves plugs I can think of that really change the sound but those plugs don`t work on everything.

I just find every Waves thread hilarious and entertaining, especially with my morning coffee. You`ve got people like myself who own every piece of hardware and software they use and don`t complain about it and then you`ve got people coming on here who don`t know what they`re talking about with the WUP and who knows how much time these haters actually did spend with Waves plugs and all they do is complain about how awful this company is. Seriously, its pathetic and laughable at the same time.

Alright, time for another cup...
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
The only people who get pissed off by WUP, are the people who still don't understand it.
Here's what I understand: I purchased a Waves bundle many years ago (for around $2500-to this day, the most I've EVER spent on plugins from a single company). If I want to continue using these plugins I have to pay an annual (or regular) FEE. Again, I could care less about the additional add-on plugins they offer (oh boy, another multi-tap delay!), or the fact that the only tech support I've EVER needed from Waves was support for their crazy copy protection scheme. I JUST WANT TO USE THE PLUGINS THAT I ALREADY OWN!

To this point, if I had happily payed what WAVES has asked of me over the years, I would have given them MORE $$$ THAN THE ORIGINAL COST OF MY BUNDLE!

Come on people, THAT IS OBSURD!

I realize they have slowly been changing their song because of customer complaints and competition, but the fact that they could somehow justify this policy makes me want to steer clear of WAVES all together.

Am I not understanding something here?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timsplace View Post
Here's what I understand: I purchased a Waves bundle many years ago (for around $2500-to this day, the most I've EVER spent on plugins from a single company). If I want to continue using these plugins I have to pay an annual (or regular) FEE. Again, I could care less about the additional add-on plugins they offer (oh boy, another multi-tap delay!), or the fact that the only tech support I've EVER needed from Waves was support for their crazy copy protection scheme. I JUST WANT TO USE THE PLUGINS THAT I ALREADY OWN!

To this point, if I had happily payed what WAVES has asked of me over the years, I would have given them MORE $$$ THAN THE ORIGINAL COST OF MY BUNDLE!

Come on people, THAT IS OBSURD!

I realize they have slowly been changing their song because of customer complaints and competition, but the fact that they could somehow justify this policy makes me want to steer clear of WAVES all together.

Am I not understanding something here?
Yes, you are still misunderstanding. You wrote... "I purchased a Waves bundle many years ago (for around $2500-to this day, the most I've EVER spent on plugins from a single company). If I want to continue using these plugins I have to pay an annual (or regular) FEE."

WUP is not a yearly fee. You pay it when only if your Waves version is not compatible with your OS or DAW. I purchased the Waves Gold Bundle in 2000 at the AES convention for $800 or something. I don`t recall the version but I did not have to pay a WUP until 2009. Thats 9 years! When I did pay the WUP, I got two new plugs (H-Comp and H-Delay) which I love and everything runs perfectly with my new OS and DAW version.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search