The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland JV-1080 HELP?!?! Keyboard Controllers
Old 2nd January 2011
Roland JV-1080 HELP?!?!

Hey guys, I picked up a JV-1080 today for $170 and also got the Super Sound Set expansion card with it. I'm also looking to pick up the techno and dance card as well...That said, this thing sounds amazing...It blew me away. I plugged my oxygen 49 into it and the sounds are perfect...I recognized more than a few from hit records of the last 15 years.

I'm new to logic. 3 months in. I can program midi using piano roll and record audio no problem. I can edit pretty well too. I'm not a newbie at audio recording, I came from Pro Tools, but I'm a newbie to logic and serious midi recording.

All I want to do it take the midi tracks that I have already programmed and use the sounds in the JV on those tracks. How do I do this?
I've read some forums about message banks and multi instruments and logic environments...these are terms i've never heard before...where do i start?

when all these guys are doing all that are they loading the roland sounds into logic to then use without the roland connected? if so, then i guess its worth the work and figuring out.

if anyone can help id really appreciate it
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

You just send the midi you've recorded out to the JV. If you want to record the audio it produces back into Logic, you connect it to the audio inputs of your interface, arm a track and hit record.

They probably have a way to set the instrument up like Cubase does--defining what in and out it's on permanently so that it becomes an available "instrument" along side your virtual ones...but, why bother? Unless you just happen to have two analog inputs you want to permanently tie up to the 1080.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

macprovideo have some good tutorials for getting started in logic, including how to set up your external sound modules/keyboards for use in logic. You'll need a usb midi interface between the 1080 and your computer. Get one with at least 4 ins and outs if you think you may want to add extra synths/modules in future. A quick hunt on youtube found this that may help too if your interface already has midi ports (hah, listen at 2.05 where his wife comes and offers him lunch)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v==1
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
Do what they said.....get the interface from USD to midi.

You might have to read up on MidiManager, but its fairly intuitive. Usuallt it will see the new devise and add it to the system

In Logic send the output of the Midi track to one of the intervace outputs, and plug that output into the midi in on the JV.

The fastest way to get sound will be to put the JV in OMNI mode..so whatever channel you have the track on will trigger the JV.

Once you get a little farther into it, add all of your midi devices in midi manager and Logic will see them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search