The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kick drum - md421 vs d12e Dynamic Microphones
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Kick drum - md421 vs d12e

I've always liked the md421 on kick and know it's sound very well. What does the d12e sound like in contrast?
Cheers
Al
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

Here's a little sample of a d12e on a BD with no front head and a packing blanket around it.
Download Min Drum Mic Sample - MP3 Ringtone Min Drum Mic Sample by Drumsound - Free Music Hosting
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

It doesn't sound like a kick mic at all, sorry , there's more of the toms that of the kick, and I'm exaggerating only a little .

To me, MD421 is hard sounding and D12E has big lowend, firm, soft. I just used it once, but it is great to work with that sound. It takes EQ well and sounds big. MD421 is more agressive, but nice too.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe a 441 would get you somewhere in between?
Old 3rd January 2011
Or an Electro-Voice RE20/RE27 (my personal favorite Kick mic).
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

+1 on the RE20. I love it.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Bump
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

+2 on the RE20.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac
Does anyone have ant insight on how much different the D112 and D12 sound? This may be a redundant post and I know I could just search the forums for a vs. thread or something, but I also am looking at the RE20. I am not very happy with the way my D112 sounds... It does a decent job but it seems to have too much of a scooped sound. Blended with an outside kick it sounds good but I want something with more thud and less air than the D112 gets.
Old 3rd January 2011
RE20 is my favorite, and I've used all the standards. It doesn't have that annoying huge 4K bump that most kick drum microphones have...but if I'm recording something that benefits from a lot of snap the RE20 takes EQ really well. A lot of young artist and producers give me a look when I put it inside the kick, but everyone is always happy and surprised with the results.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattqualls View Post
Does anyone have ant insight on how much different the D112 and D12 sound? This may be a redundant post and I know I could just search the forums for a vs. thread or something, but I also am looking at the RE20. I am not very happy with the way my D112 sounds... It does a decent job but it seems to have too much of a scooped sound. Blended with an outside kick it sounds good but I want something with more thud and less air than the D112 gets.
How about a D6 or Beta 52? Not my cup of tea, but they seem to do that sound pretty well...
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
To me, MD421 is hard sounding and D12E has big lowend, firm, soft. I just used it once, but it is great to work with that sound. It takes EQ well and sounds big. MD421 is more agressive, but nice too.
+1. Very well put.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

RE-20 vs D12?
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

The RE20 is much more extended sounding, and more even in its frequency response. Also, because of its design, it produces little or no proximity effect. As a result, it tends to sound fairly tight, punchy, and realistic.

The D12e is, as described above, a fairly pillowy sounding microphone, with a soft peak around 100 cycles and another one around 2K, falling off slowly with higher frequencies. Almost ribbon-like in that regard. It also has a proximity effect, so that the low end is more boosted when close-miking as in a typical kick drum application. All in all, not your first grab for metal, but a great mic for jazz, blues, old school rock.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
It doesn't sound like a kick mic at all, sorry , there's more of the toms that of the kick, and I'm exaggerating only a little .

The clip I posted is not just the BD mic, the mic on the BD is a d12e and there's a D119 OH, re10 SD mic and a CMV563 and a "whole set" mic. I should have made that more clear.
Old 4th January 2011
The D12e I always found I could get a real nice sound with just poking out of the hole of the bassdrum, and then as they say it takes eq well, which really means you HAVE to eq it. Which is fine, I always found it to be a rounder sound, FWIW I always hated the D112, a 421 will give you a snappier sound, not as round. The RE20 will be more extended as software guy said. You have to eq all of these, but here's the question, I get the impression your using 2 mics, one in and one out, if so I would say you really want the weight or thud to come from the outside mic and the snap and definition from the inside mic. There is also a bit of a crossover between those 2 mics. For me the D12e would be something I might use on a more retro style of recording, another mic to consider is a Beyer M88 which I like better than a 421 for bass drum
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

M88 is nice. I've been using a Heil PR30 and an EV PL33 on the inside. The Heil facing the back and the EV facing the beater. Been getting a huge sound this way. Doesn't hurt that my pres are SSL and Five Fish x12 for this duty either.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
The clip I posted is not just the BD mic, the mic on the BD is a d12e and there's a D119 OH, re10 SD mic and a CMV563 and a "whole set" mic. I should have made that more clear.
ok, nevermind then
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Nice thing about the RE20 is that it can do other things too. Incredible on BD but more versatile than say a d112. 421 is versatile too--but I don't like it nearly as much as the RE20 on BD. More natural and bigger bottom than the 421.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search