The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Anti-Complexity Age Modulation Plugins
Old 7th January 2011
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4722 View Post
...So, it appears that there is some sort of link between those who listen for free (radio/pop media audience) and those who buy (what was provided for free, which is where we get the sales numbers for what is popular)...
I don't think you've compared any recent airplay charts to a sales chart for the same period.

For example this past week only two of the top 20 recordings receiving airplay in the U.S. are in the top 20 sales chart and none of the top ten receiving airplay are in the top ten of the sales chart. In fact the number one recording in each chart is not even in the top 50 of the other.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I don't think you've compared any recent airplay charts to a sales chart for the same period.

For example this past week only two of the top 20 recordings receiving airplay in the U.S. are in the top 20 sales chart and none of the top ten receiving airplay are in the top ten of the sales chart. In fact the number one recording in each chart is not even in the top 50 of the other.
I would think that there is a lag between the onslaught of a trend and any results showing up in sales, but maybe the downloading of music has shortened that time delay, depending when the actual figures are tabulated vs. "projected" sales. So these chart toppers are popular before they get any exposure ?

I know with dvd sales from large sales outlets that, from a moneys collected standpoint, it is easier to get blood from a turnip than getting real sales figures from them (because then the studio's would know how much money is owed to them). I'm talking more than 6 months delinquent for even major releases. Its a game to get them to own up to it (all the while the money sits in the bank collecting interest).

Anyway, how did these people have any idea what to buy to make something popular? Maybe people are just looking it all up on their own, or texting, but I sure hear stuff all the time (without seeking it out) that is "on the charts" (or will be ?). I guess it could be just advertising that is informing the buyers. It couldn't be the critics driving it, could it ?

When I wrote "radio/pop media" that included TV, movie previews, movies, internet, ads, etc.

Maybe I'm confusing what I am forced to hear over and over in various ways as being popular, when in fact it's not. But what would be the point of the repetition? Is it just industry bullies forcing outlets to play stuff in order to collect risiduals? Or bad taste from the programmers ?
Old 7th January 2011
Motown legend

Soundscan provides sales figures scanned from barcodes and Mediabase logs all US airplay. Both are available to subscribers on a daily basis and you can find week old statistics on the web.

There REALLY IS very little relationship today between what's played on the radio and what people are buying. Back in the old days radio played mostly what people were buying in the stores because it was a cheap form of market research for them. This indeed accelerated sales but the idea that radio or record labels ever dictated sales has no basis in fact. It's just a common excuse for failure given by folks who couldn't manage to sell any records.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search