The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's on your 2buss in 2011?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
What's on your 2buss in 2011?

Just curious since I'm going to concentrate on upgrading my OTB 2buss chain

What do you use nowadays? Eq? Comp? Special processing? all of the above?
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac
Drawmer 1968me + Rupert Neve 5042
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

API2500 --> API5500
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Nothing. I 've resolved not to use anything on the 2buss until I learn better how to mix better overall.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasso View Post
API2500 --> API5500
Ok hold on there that's exactly what I was planning on getting.. I already have the 2500 and I am debating if getting the 5500 (which has the same OP amp than the 2500) or a different compressor or a different eq..

If a different compressor I wouldn't know what really so many choice, so much praise for the Nail but I sense "the flavor of the month" with that, I am not sure about it and I have no way to try it, I already have an SSL style comp, so that one is covered.

If an eq, while I adore API gear I am afraid the 5500 would be a lil redundant on the 2buss with the 2500, so I was thinking about a tube eq, which I miss, maybe a Pultec sytle eq?

Or, last option, some sort of special processing.. ala Anamod? Or Fatso-like? But not Fatso because I don't like it on the 2buss.. So here again, I could use an advice

How do you like the 2500/5500 combo? Do you use the makeup gain on both? or just one? Does it happen that you think it's too much color for the 2buss with both engaged? If you had to get another unit for the task, which one would it be? What you feel like that set up lacks of (if it does)?

Sorry for all these questions, but we seem to share the same taste in machines, so.. yeah
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Hi

I use both the 2500 and 5500 almost daily in mastering and they do make a great combination and are probably the best value you can get for a high end comp and eq that is at a mastering level. There is no make up gain on the 5500, but the make up gain on the 2500 is one of the reasons i use it so much, even with no compression, it has a tendency to make things sound better.

The 5500 is a broad stroke EQ, but you can usually get a mix within half a dB of being finished with it. The low mids are its real strength but the mids work great on rock/guitar based tracks. The only thing i feel it lacks is a good high shelf for air. Just my 2 cents , but really for the price you can't go wrong with this combo, you will not grow out of it, but may add other flavours to supplement them down the track.
Old 2nd January 2011
Foote Control Systems P3S -> pair of Five Fish PEQ-503

I've moved the jumpers in the EQs around so the lows are 30/80Hz and the mids are 250/750 - I can do some gentle de-muddifying with the mid band and the lows can fill in the subs if necessary. The highs are typically reserved for the Air stuff - just a tiny amount is SWEET!
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Thank you Strut

much appreciated.. I'm getting more and more convinced about this combo to be honest,
also because both units are a good investment, they retain price well (differently from the various GS hype units..)

As for the hi shelf thing, I can live that to the mastering
or get some good hi shelf filters, maybe some DIY unit for that, tube based, seems like a good setup

Keep comin'
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Dangerous BAX --> Focusrite Red 3 (Via Chandler UMC) --> A Designs Hammer --> Pultec EQP1's
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
Dangerous BAX --> Focusrite Red 3 --> A Designs Hammer --> Pultec EQP1's
I turn to the BAX often to supplement my 5500, the highs on the BAX can work wonders and can really compliment what the 5500 can do. The high pass filters on the BAX are also some of the best around. A great combination, but if I could only have one I would lean towards the 5500 first.
Old 2nd January 2011

Summed out of the Chandler Mini Rack Mixer:

Hammer
Nail
EM PEQ
SSL 384 (Clone)
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

AEG/Telefunken Magnetophon M15 A, Neve 8803 and Aurora GTC2.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

Still nothing here. And likely to stay that way. From choice.
Old 2nd January 2011
Sticking with this... 2 channels of it at least.

Happy New Year
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

you tell me :-)

Hi there,

well I certainly don't have the cash to spent for these two great API tools but I do have the 2500 as software and I love it.

I'm upgrading my studio constantly and was thinking about getting either the Dangerous 2bus or the SPL Mixdream as they are clean and then for the "tube / warmth effect" I was looking at the Golden Age Project Comp-54 which is getting great reviews here on GS.

Any thoughts / recommendations on that?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Summed out of the Chandler Mini Rack Mixer:

Hammer
Nail
EM PEQ
SSL 384 (Clone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
Dangerous BAX --> Focusrite Red 3 (Via Chandler UMC) --> A Designs Hammer --> Pultec EQP1's
pretty muscular chains for the 2buss

Hammer definitely seems very common on the 2buss these days
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelDoc View Post
Sticking with this... 2 channels of it at least.

Happy New Year
That's interesting if I got it right: are you using the 5.1 SSL comp has two stage compression? Ala Shadow Hills MC?
Old 2nd January 2011
It works as a 2 x stereo comps when NOT using it in 5.1 mode. So 2 channels are to the 2 buss and the other 2 are for tracking and mixing. 2 channels are hard wired out of the dangerous 2 buss to the SSL to the Hammer which then hits the Benchmark ADC-1 into Pro Tools. The other 2 are into the patch bay.

Make sense?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelDoc View Post
It works as a 2 x stereo comps when NOT using it in 5.1 mode. So 2 channels are to the 2 buss and the other 2 are for tracking and mixing. 2 channels are hard wired out of the dangerous 2 buss to the SSL to the Hammer which then hits the Benchmark ADC-1 into Pro Tools. The other 2 are into the patch bay.

Make sense?
Totally and it sounds pretty cool the way it set up, thanks
Old 2nd January 2011
No prob.... I like it and if I ever have a 5.1 mix I am set.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut78 View Post
Hi

I use both the 2500 and 5500 almost daily in mastering and they do make a great combination and are probably the best value you can get for a high end comp and eq that is at a mastering level. There is no make up gain on the 5500, but the make up gain on the 2500 is one of the reasons i use it so much, even with no compression, it has a tendency to make things sound better.

The 5500 is a broad stroke EQ, but you can usually get a mix within half a dB of being finished with it. The low mids are its real strength but the mids work great on rock/guitar based tracks. The only thing i feel it lacks is a good high shelf for air. Just my 2 cents , but really for the price you can't go wrong with this combo, you will not grow out of it, but may add other flavours to supplement them down the track.
... and that's why the ubk Clariphonic AFTER 5500 sounds so beautiful! ;-)

p.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Foote Control Systems P4 DMS. Excellent control, no matter what I need done, plus Carnhill transformer and red dot 2520 discrete opamp sound.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Focusrite Red 3 with Smart sidechain cables into GML8200
Old 2nd January 2011
Smart C2 -->Hammer
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I kind of hate to ask, but does anyone use a plug on their 2buss? heh
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
I used to be uad33609 -> uad eqp1-> linphase eq -> urs sat.

Now it's h/w 33609 -> desk eq (D&R Orion) -> urs sat

Hoping to diy an eq in 2011 (maybe solidstate eqp1)

Herwig
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
It happened to me to use plugins sure, for example one of the last mixes got the mPressor plugin on the 2bus and no hw, also used the Brainworx Digital, URS Sat, and some times the Kramer HLS in dual mono with only the preamp engaged (Line mode)
I use whatever works, whether is a piece of hw or a plugin, what matters is the result
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I too am not putting anything on the output bus anymore. Why? Because it changes the punch of certain instruments, particularly drums, too much, even when used judiciously. Instead, I'm just hitting the red -- sounds better, and you can't hear any artifacts anyway. I've been recording/mixing for 30+ years now, but people and my peers tell me I'm crazy, that I MUST be doing it wrong. Then later they'll ask me why my mixes have more punch and dynamics than theirs do
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
I too am not putting anything on the output bus anymore. Why? Because it changes the punch of certain instruments, particularly drums, too much, even when used judiciously. Instead, I'm just hitting the red -- sounds better, and you can't hear any artifacts anyway. I've been recording/mixing for 30+ years now, but people and my peers tell me I'm crazy, that I MUST be doing it wrong. Then later they'll ask me why my mixes have more punch and dynamics than theirs do
I assume you're mixing on the board? I'm saying this because few years ago I was mixing on a Neve desk and I never used anything on the 2buss, but now that I'm hybrid and I mix with no desk, well, I do find 2buss processing helping, never too much tho', while I'm very curious about the kind of workflow those very muscular 2buss setup described some posts above work, I tried to stack more than two machines and never found myself comfortable, they definitely makes things more difficult to me, is like having to do two mixes at the time.. One compressor is usually enough for me but I want to experiment adding a high end eq also.

I'd be curious to try if a Chandler minimixer would take away my need for a 2buss compressor, but looking at Lugo's setup, i'd say no..
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
Nothing. I 've resolved not to use anything on the 2buss until I learn better how to mix better overall.
thumbsup - me too!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search