The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's on your 2buss in 2011?
Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
Bob Katz! heh
BK's are so overused. Everyone seems to have one racked up these days

Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear

this is on mine

Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear

LOL!hehhehheh
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythminmind View Post

Old 15th June 2011
Gear Nut

Obsidian > Charteroak PEQ-1
Old 15th June 2011
Rupert Neve Portico compressor I use on my 2 bus. Depending on the song, I would also put my beloved Langevin Mini Massive EQ or now my UAD Manley Massive Passive.

Ammunition compressor (Samplitude) is used when mastering which is an outstanding compressor.
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeers View Post
Obsidian > Charteroak PEQ-1
Wow - someone who actually has a PEQ-1? That EQ seems rarer then hen's teeth! I have an Obsidian as well on my mix buss. How do you like the PEQ-1 and how do you think it sounds with the Obsidian?

Thanks,
Frank
Old 15th June 2011
PCM4222 ADC and a stereo pair of Kimber AGSS silver cables. No comps, no EQ, nothing, nada, zip.

Same since 1970.

2 buss bandaids are audio fashion run amuck.
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

Slate VCC > HEDD (little tape, little pentode) > Chameleon Labs 7720 > FiveFish PEQ > HEDD
Old 6th July 2011
Gear Nut

…Awesome tone shaping controller after the Obsidian. Especially that magical 50k knob
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
PCM4222 ADC. No comps, no EQ, nothing, nada, zip.

Same since 1970.

2 buss bandaids are audio fashion run amuck.
Hardcore! You don't even like a buss compressor or HPF here and there?
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Nebula CLC MBC
Nebula GMC Low Shelf
GSSL
Ozone 4 (for rough leveling/perspective)
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Modded ART PRO VLA I with new opto compressor section, hot plate mod, Jensen Input transformers and Carnhill output transformers.

The sound is HUGE.

Peace
Illumination
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Almost always a WE 111C. Also either an FCS P4 DMS, or an NBC/RCA ND-45 pair, or both.
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

MAQ 2NV, a smidge of HEDD tape, meters.
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemascope View Post
Focusrite Red 3 with Smart sidechain cables
Doin the same thing on my Red3. Works like a charm and sounds great.
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Modded ART PRO VLA I with new opto compressor section, hot plate mod, Jensen Input transformers and Carnhill output transformers.

The sound is HUGE.

Peace
Illumination
Lol...Does that even count as being an Art Pro VLA anymore?! hahaha

Frank
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Our 2 studios use the Behringer DEQ 2496 --- amazing boxes ~! DAW > RME > DEQ to MasterLink ~~~~Gotta love the new technology :-} Was previously using the SPL tube Vitalizer with a Orban comp and a Manley limiter...
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Lol...Does that even count as being an Art Pro VLA anymore?! hahaha

Frank
I guess not LOL

I''d call it the Pro NeVeLA but thats just silly lol.

The sound is nothing short of grand though. I had this one done specifically for 2 buss/mastering purposes but its MONSTROUS on alot of things aside from that as well.

The sound of the transformers is actually quite nice. The basic circuit is very clear and distinguished but listening to what the transformers do is eye opening. Definitely a degree of THD/saturation that's musical and very pleasing.

Peace
Illumination
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Precision EQ and a drawmer 1968me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

We put our VARIS in most cases into Symmetrix 620, Apogee AD, Mytek AD96. In other case our Solution (optical leveler), dedicated studios also use Solution and Solution+distortion/coloration stage in one piece (we did stereo box of it), and VARISes also.
Recently (after customer report heh, btw), also have used new unit for mix "combing" (though it`s 4U mixer, fatso, with big tubes), got enjoying, just to pass through.

Pultec EQs always, but now test own LC EQ, with incarnations these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythminmind View Post
LOL heh Eric, BK was mirrored in our compressor...
Here is proper face, hippy who has invented up the VARIS
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your 2buss in 2011?-varis-gen.jpg   What's on your 2buss in 2011?-bus-setup.jpg  
Old 6th September 2011
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
A-Design HAMMER, 2 EM-PEQs, and a HM2 NAIL.
sometime i patch in a pair of Great River Harrison 32 EQ's.
i replaced the EM-PEQ's for a EM-EQ2 just for convenience.

boom boom!
heh
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

I ditched hardware for the Waves Puigchild 670 comp. It's so smooth, and all I need is a couple DB. It messes with the low end a bit, but I typically do a 2db boost at 60hz next in the chain with the Puigtec EQP-1a as well as a 2db boost at 3khz. Mix into both with great results!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

plug SSL X-EQ (deep low-cut)
h/w 33609J/D
h/w Manley Pultec
plug SSL X-EQ (analyse and minor extra tweak)
optional plug Waves Kramer Tape

Herwig
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Usually I use the SSL Bus Compressor and Manley Massive Passive. I like the air that the Massive passive gives. I think on the 2 bus subtlety is the order of the day.

The Last Couple of times on my own setup I have tried the Kramer PIE compressor and PSP Retro Q. which works alright

I'd Like to try a Manley Vari Mu and 2 Tubetech PE1C sometime soon.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

Usually SSL Quad comp -> GML 8200 or API 560 but my last few mixes have just been UAD Neve 1081.
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
Hardcore! You don't even like a buss compressor or HPF here and there?
Sure, on individual tracks. Nothing on stereo buss except the Kimber wire to the converter. When a mix is right, you don't need that stuff.

I save any stereo buss limiting/compression for mastering, just like 1970. No global HP filters either, I like my 1 hz to 30 mhz analog console bandwidth, that low end is tight and deep. Again, that is used on individual tracks, just like 1970.

Buss compression, HP filters, parallel compression, etc, are all newer techniques used for modern rock productions. Homey don't play that game. I prefer traditional recording techniques, like those used on your favorite classic rock albums. No one is complaining about the sound of those, while everyone has a new hole ripped in their ear drums from the modern stuff.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Using an RJR SSL Buss clone with output transformers, but I play around with putting Daking and other pres before and after. I'd like to get a good stereo EQ if I can find something in the $800-$1200 range that would work with as many genres as possible and can be used for tracking as well. Anyone have any ideas on something sweet?
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
SSL 384 (Clone)
Which one?
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Buss compression, HP filters, parallel compression, etc, are all newer techniques used for modern rock productions. Homey don't play that game. I prefer traditional recording techniques, like those used on your favorite classic rock albums. No one is complaining about the sound of those, while everyone has a new hole ripped in their ear drums from the modern stuff.

Well Jim, I respect where you are coming from, but "modern" rock & pop /whatever techniques using buss compression, HP filters, parallel compression, are not really about "ripping a hole" in any eardrums, but presenting stuff in a certain light.

I mostly mix more retro throwback / acoustic stuff by indie bands and I use these techniques all the time (not so much the HP filter) - the sonics sound excellent in the end, if the material is mixed and mastered with tone at the forefront of importance (instead of volume).

On the topic at hand, I have been mixing with the TC Rooster into a Drawmer 1968 ME on the 2buss with much better sonic results then I could get by staying ITB with plugs, so for me, it's also about getting some real tone at the end of my chain (not that I don't I get as good a sound as possible from the front end, when tracking as well)

I also use an Overstayer FET once in awhile if it's that kind of thing.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Guru

all I can seem to manage is a limiter doing a few dB for loudness reference or to catch peaks...lately Sonnox Oxford Limiter. I guess "less is more" for me like some of the other posters

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search