The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's on your 2buss in 2011?
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
RND 5043 compressor and 5042 True Tape on my 2 bus. This comp was talked about so much when it came out with so many praising it. What happen? It's still a great compressor. thumbsup
I agree 100%. It's a great unit. I think Greg Wells said something like if it were a 19 inch unit that cost twice as much but sounded the same it would get a lot more love than it does.

I don't care what it looks like, I just love the way it sounds. It's also really flexible with the feed forward / backward settings.

There are tracks that I actually like the 5043 over the Trakkers on 2 buss. If you have ever used the Trakkers you know that is saying a LOT.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
I kind of hate to ask, but does anyone use a plug on their 2buss? heh
when I use one, I am loving Cytomic's The Glue
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkycam View Post
when I use one, I am loving Cytomic's The Glue
Same here, love'n that plug.

I forgot to add that I have an MCI 1/4 tape machine in great shape as well but I don't mix to it anymore. I just feel like I lose too much detail. It probably has more to do with 1/4 inch over 1/2 inch but I avoid tape on the 2 buss now.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Elysia's xpressor 500 sounds great, so does the new alpha plugin
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
Would you say the RND is colored or more on the clean side?
Clean to slightly warm, not s***** or glassy clean however. Not as snappy as an SSL, C1 type compressor but for pop, folk, rock, ballad just the thing.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

I bought a Compellor off of ebay for this purpose after reading about them here on Gearslutz. I should have it any day now for a hopefully super slight non noticeable compression thats not $2000. I have a RNC and a couple 160x as my other compressors, but from what I read, the Compellor is great on the 2 bus.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

I've got the Slate VCC MixBuss.

Then if I need any master bus EQ I'll use the Waves Puigtecs or sometimes even the Waves API 560. I'll even put a Metric Halo ChannelStrip there on occasion.

For compression, I've been using Cytomic's The Glue a lot, with the oversampling set to x8 for rendering. I've actually used the Waves API 2500 in the last couple of mixes and really liked it. I hadn't given it enough attention in that spot in several months, but I like what it did on my last two mixes.

And, horror of horrors, I will even on occasion have a final limiter on the 2-bus in the last slot. PSP Xenon is my limiter of choice these days. If I have it there, it's generally just to catch the odd peak that would overshoot by no more than .5-1dB. Often, though, it's not doing anything at all beyond giving me some insurance.

That's what's been on my 2-bus lately. I hope that later in 2011 I'll be able to add some hardware. I'd love to have a real 2500 on the 2-bus, actually. In fact, I'd really, really love 2011 to be the "year of hardware" for me. We'll see. I had to sell some hardware before moving to this island, and I'm actually finally moving OFF the island in a few weeks. I'd like to pick some hardware back up.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
I kind of hate to ask, but does anyone use a plug on their 2buss? heh
That's all I've got: UAD Fairchild usually
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Pair of Germanium Comps with a kiss of UBK/KuSH Clariphonic.
Old 4th January 2011
I've being using 2 mixing sets these days for practical reasons, sometimes I have to deliver a song right after I produce it, and there's no time to mix it on the big room, so I made a cool ITB Hybrid system for this kind of jobs:

Set 1 (production-writting room): DAW-> DA16x-> Duality->SSL G384->UA2192.

If I get more time, then I would mix the project in my big room:

Set 2 (Big Mixing room): DAW-> 4x Auroras-> SSL4000G+ -> Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor-> Lavry Gold.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Nothing on the 2-bus these days. Instead, I have 8 Tonelux TXC comps on 4 stereo busses. Usually Drum & Bass, Guitars, Vocals, Keys & Special FX. These are run in parallel with the tracks that feed them.
Old 4th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Nothing on the 2-bus these days. Instead, I have 8 Tonelux TXC comps on 4 stereo busses. Usually Drum & Bass, Guitars, Vocals, Keys & Special FX. These are run in parallel with the tracks that feed them.
aka - psuedo brauer method. :-) turned a little that way myself but with a few diff comps and still a 2 buss setup to push thru in the end.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelDoc View Post
aka - psuedo brauer method. :-) turned a little that way myself but with a few diff comps and still a 2 buss setup to push thru in the end.
The thing with the Tonelux console is that I can slam the SM2 summing module and get some really nice saturation, so I've not been using a master bus compressor lately.

The TXC compressors sound excellent, but also, they are so convenient, living just above my bus returns. I've become a little lazy at mixdown. If I can't reach it from the mix position, I generally don't use it. heh
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Same here, love'n that plug.

I forgot to add that I have an MCI 1/4 tape machine in great shape as well but I don't mix to it anymore. I just feel like I lose too much detail. It probably has more to do with 1/4 inch over 1/2 inch but I avoid tape on the 2 buss now.
Swap out the opamps and caps, and remove/upgrade the output transformers if it has them. Big difference in tone over stock.

Brad
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Kore buss

For more mellow, slow stuff:
Neve 33609jd >Gyraf stereo passive eq

For punch and bite:
SSL G series Comp>Avalon 747 (with input cranked and smiley face eq...this unit does not get nearly enough love round here!)
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Kore;6181357]For more mellow, slow stuff:
Neve 33609jd >Gyraf stereo passive eq

For punch and bite:
SSL G series Comp>Avalon 747 (with input cranked and smiley face eq...this unit does not get nearly enough love round here!)[/QUOTE

Can you tell me a little more about the 747. I heard it a few times after selling it(when I worked at GC), installing it and integrating it for the guy and loved what I heard. Do you think it's good enough to use on its own for a variety of different material? If not, what would you recommend?
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Mostly NSEQ 2 to STC 8 to HEDD
Sometimes Tubetech SMC 2B
Sometimes Zilcho Nada Nix 000
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Same procedure as every year:

GSSL Compressor

Might try the Audient Bus comp of my 2802 every now and then.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm really surprised how many people use processing off the two buss. In all likelihood its just impeding the work of the ME.. unless you are the ME. Mastering is 'putting something on the 2 bus'
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spice house View Post
I'm really surprised how many people use processing off the two buss. In all likelihood its just impeding the work of the ME.. unless you are the ME. Mastering is 'putting something on the 2 bus'
Nah, no way. What you put on your 2buss IS mixing, is still part of mixing, no doubt.

Now if you slam a limiter on it with 6db of GR and deliver it that way to the ME that's gonna be tricky for him to work on, but that's pretty much it.
And even at that point, resampling at higher sample rate and lowering down the level would probably give the ME the possibility to work on it anyway.

The point is that there is no actual reason to do that.. unless you master your own stuff.

But the 2buss processing is definitely part of the mixing (and an important part I'd add)
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Nut

not yet but i hope there will be STC-8 in 2011. for now i sometimes use fairchild plugin.
Old 5th January 2011

Manley vari-mu or cranesong stc-8 or neve portico 5043...

if there's e.q. (and there rarely is) massive passive or gml...
Old 6th January 2011
I always mix through psp oldtimer, nebula 3 console (mostly MTC), and R2R tape @ 30ips. Then it may sound something like this:

YouTube - Turn off your television - A different kind of joy

/Jon
Old 7th January 2011
500 series nutjob

A-Design HAMMER, 2 EM-PEQs, and a HM2 NAIL.
sometime i patch in a pair of Great River Harrison 32 EQ's.
Old 7th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyman
Drawmer 1968me + Rupert Neve 5042
Same Neve here! Fantastic on masterbus and drum bus. Although looking forward to try the new Lindell Audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

GSSL Compressor - Anamod ATS-1 - GML 8200

Very happy about it.
I make hardcore/elecro/techno etc.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Head

really envy some of your setups.
i'm still ITB for now on my 2buss.
Waves SSL G compressor --> UAD precision EQ.
Then I do master my own stuff, so i send it out to my TC electronic Finalizer and back into PT9. But I want to stop using the Finalizer and start mastering ITB with my Brainworx or Flux plugins which should be able to meet and exceed what my Finalizer can do.
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Smart C1 on the 2 buss thumbsup also might start plying with a pair of 550A's on there as well
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Addict

Neve 33609jd hardware & for tracking 2 x Api 525
.....a lovely team

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search