The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's on your 2buss in 2011?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Depending on the material, I've been using a 2500 (rock), Obsidian 500 (pop), or STC-8 (acoustic). I rarely use eq on the mix bus (better to leave that to the mastering folks) but will sometimes break out the Portico 5033s or NTI EQ-3D.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

ITB? Vintage Neve hardware EQ x2 or real EQP1A3 x2. + DA/AD and patch bay. Stopped using analog summing and 2 bus comp last year. Sometimes, VCC and/or Elephant in DAW. I've found myself using less and less hardware and software when mix, since I finally found a mastering engineer who I can trust. Also I've found UAD A800 and/or VCC can remove many other "subtle effects" plugins. Now, our final masters are much more open and real yet polished than before. I still use 2 bus comp when I make instant reference mixes.
Old 3rd January 2011
D K
Lives for gear

pair of FMR PBC-6A > Five Fish PEQ-503.... Lovin it right now
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
pair of FMR PBC-6A > Five Fish PEQ-503.... Lovin it right now
That's interesting, I've been wondering how the PBC perform on the 2buss, have you had experience with other more known compressors for that task?
Could you make a comparison? I love FMR, I still can't get away from the RNC when tracking vocals..
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
I kind of hate to ask, but does anyone use a plug on their 2buss? heh
Why would you hate to ask? It's a valid question!

As to that, I use a HW compressor on my 2 bus (Obsidian 500) but I have been trying various Plug In EQs on the 2 bus since chances are I'll have to fix that more then the compression down the line.

Still not set on any one plug in but I have demoed a few.

Regards,
Frank
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Summing (custom from summing modules from a Langevin AM-4) -> Nail -> Sphere EQ's

or

Summing -> Smart C2 -> Spheres - Nail

or

Same as above with ITB summing.

or

Nothing.

Would rather mix with nothing on the 2-bus than use a plugin, unless it could benefit from a bit of surgical EQ (not common) in which case Massenburg MDW. Used to use Cranesong Phoenix quite often though, or the HEDD process.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

UA 2192-> Drawmer 1968-> Chandler Curve Bender EQ-> UA 2192
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

End 2011, probably a DIY SSL Clone (board 4000) with a DIY stereo EQ.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

i just ordered a second sta level to do some nice tuby-colloring on the 2 buss

For EQ: If needed i like to give a little dip on the low end with the 2a3 from retro. Sounds solid fat!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

GSSL Mix Buss Compressor with sidechain HPF mods.

Sontec MEP250 inspired custom built EQ, fixed stereo, 0.5 or 1 dB (switchable) brush-strokes. Modified low shelf for different shapes. (my best friend)
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

folcrom tg2 > portico 5043 > api 550a's want a 5500 though
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

For 2011? Let's see, SSL console > SHMC > Cranesong HEDD192.

Why? Cuz that's how I left it in 2010 and haven't worked yet this year... lol
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
For 2011? Let's see, SSL console > SHMC > Cranesong HEDD192.

Why? Cuz that's how I left it in 2010 and haven't worked yet this year... lol
Well yes, and also because I'd personally couldn't think about anything better than a SHMC on the 2buss heh
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

Twenty Five Hundred.
Old 3rd January 2011
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Chandler curve bender into dramastic audio obsidian 500 series. Sometimes substitute gml 8200 or API 5500 for Chandler.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Its either the 2500 or the SSDT into either the clariphonic or nothing. Had a 5500, wish I still did, but never loved it on 2buss for mixing. It always seemed too heavy handed to me.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
I kind of hate to ask, but does anyone use a plug on their 2buss? heh
currently playing with these:

Voxengo HarmoniEQ -> Airwindows Channel2 -> Stillwell Bombardier

<$200...how's that for low end!
Old 3rd January 2011
D K
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
That's interesting, I've been wondering how the PBC perform on the 2buss, have you had experience with other more known compressors for that task?
Could you make a comparison? I love FMR, I still can't get away from the RNC when tracking vocals..
Retinal,

I really could not give you a detailed in-depth comparison regarding the PBC vs. the more known bus compressors as most of them I have not used..sorry about that..

I can tell you that PBC (actually a second for the pair) was recommended to me over some of those by at least 2 people whose ears I do trust and have vast experience with many of them for whatever that is worth.. ultimately I just went with what my ears were telling me and every time I run a mix thru them - it sounds better,,a lot better and I have had some pretty good plugins in that position..

S/C..drive,,attack and release, thick/silk modes, many ways to link the pair..can be almost not there and in an instance can impose itself on a mix thoroughly.. I have been nothing but pleased with them.. when I put the FF-PEQ 503s behind them with the transformers (carnhills) ..well all I know is it makes me smile..everytime..

different..but very satisfying and all for under 2K which really makes me (and my accountant-Momma!) happier

Last edited by D K; 4th January 2011 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: for accuracy
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
ITB - NC17

OTB (Tascam 246) - Nothing yet!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Retinal,

I really could not give you a detailed in-depth comparison regarding the PBC vs. the more known bus compressors as most of them I have not used..sorry about that..

I can tell you that PBC (actually a second for the pair) was recommended to me over some of those by at least 2 people whose ears I do trust and have vast experience with many of them for whatever that is worth.. ultimately I just went with what my ears were telling me and every time I run a mix thru them - it sounds better,,a lot better and I have had some pretty good plugins in that position..

S/C..drive,,attack and ratio, thick/silk modes, many ways to link the pair..can be almost not there and in an instance can impose itself on a mix thoroughly.. I have been nothing but pleased with them.. when I put the FF-PEQ 503s behind them with the transformers (carnhills) ..well all I know is it makes me smile..everytime..

different..but very satisfying and all for under 2K which really makes me (and my accountant-Momma!) happier
Thanks a lot for the report thumbsup
I've been wanting to grab a pair for a long time now, they're relatively cheap I think ima go for them, I'm sure, 2buss or not, they'll come in handy, so far FMR never failed for me
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

API 5500 (for the "sound" and a little high frequency lift) --> TK BC1

sometimes Cranesong Phoenix, but less and less often since i acquired the API.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
Ok hold on there that's exactly what I was planning on getting.. I already have the 2500 and I am debating if getting the 5500 (which has the same OP amp than the 2500) or a different compressor or a different eq..

If a different compressor I wouldn't know what really so many choice, so much praise for the Nail but I sense "the flavor of the month" with that, I am not sure about it and I have no way to try it, I already have an SSL style comp, so that one is covered.

If an eq, while I adore API gear I am afraid the 5500 would be a lil redundant on the 2buss with the 2500, so I was thinking about a tube eq, which I miss, maybe a Pultec sytle eq?

Or, last option, some sort of special processing.. ala Anamod? Or Fatso-like? But not Fatso because I don't like it on the 2buss.. So here again, I could use an advice

How do you like the 2500/5500 combo? Do you use the makeup gain on both? or just one? Does it happen that you think it's too much color for the 2buss with both engaged? If you had to get another unit for the task, which one would it be? What you feel like that set up lacks of (if it does)?

Sorry for all these questions, but we seem to share the same taste in machines, so.. yeah
It's a killer combo. I don't find the 2500 and 5500 THAT colored actually and I think the make gain is quite subtle as well. Go for it if you want that meaty API sound - it's not hifi but it's definately ain't trashy either. Controlled color

The 5500 is very broad, which makes it very musical and agree that it's hard to dial in pure "air" - it simply reaches very far down in the frequency range even @ 20K
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasso View Post
It's a killer combo. I don't find the 2500 and 5500 THAT colored actually and I think the make gain is quite subtle as well. Go for it if you want that meaty API sound - it's not hifi but it's definately ain't trashy either. Controlled color

The 5500 is very broad, which makes it very musical and agree that it's hard to dial in pure "air" - it simply reaches very far down in the frequency range even @ 20K
Great, in this case I'm pretty sure I'll go for it then, I wasn't sure about the 5500 being broad, which is what I was hoping, that coupled with the possibility of 0.5db step pretty much sounds like what I'm looking for.
I'm a total API slut anyway, and API gear is always a good investment too.
Thanks!
Old 3rd January 2011
8 channels of Tonelux summing into......

2 CraneSong Trakkers
RND 5043
Great River MP-2NV / EQ-2NV
RND 5043

I have a Hammer EQ and a pair of Germ comps that I used to use on the 2 buss in place of the Great River and RND comps. Now they are parked on my drum buss. They seem to work better there for me.

I also have a pair of API 550A's that I use on Guitars. They just don't seem flexible enough for me on 2 buss.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post

2 CraneSong Trakkers
RND 5043
RND 5043

I have a Hammer EQ and a pair of Germ comps that I used to use on the 2 buss in place of the Great River and RND comps. Now they are parked on my drum buss. They seem to work better there for me.

I also have a pair of API 550A's that I use on Guitars. They just don't seem flexible enough for me on 2 buss.
RND 5043 compressor and 5042 True Tape on my 2 bus. This comp was talked about so much when it came out with so many praising it. What happen? It's still a great compressor. thumbsup
Old 3rd January 2011
I'm looking into going back to analog mixing ( probably with an ATB32 ), so definitely thinking about 2buss compression & EQ right now... No clue what I'll be getting though, but the UBK stuff seems pretty solid to me for not too much moolah... Going to an in-depth demo at the end of the week. We'll see...
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Using the 5043 here as well.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post

2 CraneSong Trakkers
RND 5043
RND 5043

Would you say the RND is colored or more on the clean side?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I prefer to keep things simple these days:

console --> modified Studer A807, ATR Tape, 15ips, +3/250

Brad

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search