The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2011: New Gear Resolutions? Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac
2011: New Gear Resolutions?

Anyone trying NOT to buy more gear this year?

If not, let us know what you're planning to buy!

For me, I stepped up my monitoring (Yamaha MSP7's), conversion (BLA mods to Fireface800 and MOTU 828 mkii) and outboard (Rupert Neve 5015 + 5042, Drawmer 1968me) in 2010. For 2011, I hope to expand my mic locker and get a small mixer (SSL X-Desk, Toft Atb 08, or ???)...

-Todd
Todd Hunter Band - melodic indie pop-rock from Winnipeg. - HOME
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah i'd like a nice comp & eq for the 2buss! (2nd hand purchases)

Pair of Fmr Pbc 6a's & a Hammer eq.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I am trying to not buy gear this year. I really am! I find its a lot like trying to quit smoking.

However, I do really want to add a ribbon mic or 2 to the locker. Was thinking about a cheapie Apex 205 that may get modded, and a Beyer M160, or going all in and picking up an AEA R92.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac
I've got a Joly-modded Apex 205; huge and airy sound. Takes eq really well too.

I've also got a pair of Fathead II's which I use as drum underheads.

Ribbons rule, man thumbsup
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

This year i'll be grabbing a Purple MC77, some SSL EQ's and preamps for my X-Rack, and a ****-tonne more rockwool, wood, fabric etc.

I'm sure there'll be other stuff that shows up unexpectedly too... plugins don't count heh

I'd like another 24 or 27inch screen too.

Finally, i'm going to get a carpenter to build a custom desk with racks, space for console/control surface etc.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyman View Post
I've got a Joly-modded Apex 205; huge and airy sound. Takes eq really well too.

I've also got a pair of Fathead II's which I use as drum underheads.

Ribbons rule, man thumbsup
Sweet! The joly modded 205 was what I was thinking of doing. Sounds like I'll be breaking my resolution already. Thanks for the info!
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

hmmm
not buying gear is just plain out of the question.... hahah

I want to take a bigger plunge in outboard -- namely with a Kush Ukb fatso, maybe the new Black Lion AGB and the Overstayer...
- content for EQ with my pair of api 560s

and if its a good year... finally oust my Multiface II with something a little sluttier -- would be on the fence between the SSL Alphalink (MADI and a crap ton of i/o -- black lion is talking about modding them too which could be cool!), the new AVID hd i/o or just a lynx aurora

oh yeah and i am sure a bunch of plugins and VIs.... I have been lusting after symphobia for a good while now (just to be an East West hater
Old 2nd January 2011
I find my self buying camera gear and lenses more the last little while. My audio setup has been suiting my needs just fine, and my new Canon DSLR has me nerding out in a different gear-slut "genre".

But we did just buy PT9 for both rooms here, which have been running Nuendo since opened. Thats going to be a significant new addition.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyman View Post
Anyone trying NOT to buy more gear this year?

If not, let us know what you're planning to buy!

For me, I stepped up my monitoring (Yamaha MSP7's), conversion (BLA mods to Fireface800 and MOTU 828 mkii) and outboard (Rupert Neve 5015 + 5042, Drawmer 1968me) in 2010. For 2011, I hope to expand my mic locker and get a small mixer (SSL X-Desk, Toft Atb 08, or ???)...

-Todd
Todd Hunter Band - melodic indie pop-rock from Winnipeg. - HOME
You know what has really been a great purchase for me?
Software tutorial videos.
I bought tutorial bundles for Wavelab 7 and Protools 8 from a place called Ask Video, and there are so many useful tips and software features that I continue to learn watching these.
https://www.askvideo.com/
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Just picked up an API 500V 10 space rack on Friday. It sits empty, so that will most likely take up most of my 2011 gear acquisitions.

512's, 550's, 560's and either MA5's or the new 1073LB's once that votes are in and they become more available.

Would also love to add a Helios Type 69.

I have my work cut out for me.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

2011: New Gear Resolutions?

Gear resolutions for 2011
1.Wire EVERY THING TO the patchbays!
2. This is my year of the EQ
3 buss comp
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

I'm planning to buy

1. Lynx Aurora 16
2. Lynx AES16
3. GML 8200 EQ

I'm planning to sell

1. Neumann U67
2. Crane Song Trakker
3. Beesneez Mahalia
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
I'm going to sell things I don't use anymore and concentrate on saving this year. There are few things I really want but will feel better about buying after some debt is payed off.

This is really going to be a hard year for me but I'm going to concentrate on other things than recording this year. For starters, I'm going to start playing in a band again after 10 years of absence.

By the way,

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 3rd January 2011
I also need to fill up my 500V. It looks so dangerous with all those open ports. I call it the toddler destroyer.

I just can't justify paying $22 a piece for blank panels. So a 550A and a Derresser are in order.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

1) Get everything I already own wired into the patchbays and online
2) mics: U47 type, M160
3) new space?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm planning to buy either a Nucleus or an Audient 2802... plus a better keyboard controller. I've been in the market for a controller for about a year now but can't decide what to get. I don't need onboard sounds. But the controllers without sounds hav lousy feel, and the ones that have great feel also have a lot of sounds. A dilemma. Why doesn't anybody make a controller with great feel and no sounds? Like my ancient Yamaha KX88 -- no sounds, good feel, but not as good as the new Rolands or Yamahas
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

My plan is to finish building my two buss comps, my 2buss equalizer, and my parametric equalizer.

Oh, and to finish my live guitar rig. I've just got one more hollowbody PRS to buy and to figure out the best means of switching/routing.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac
Building stuff? Yikes. The best I did last year was to make a pair of 200lb sand-filled monitor stands. Definitely low-tech.

I did successfully re-tension the ribbon in my Apex 205 though
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

budgeting a half rack eq and compressor for my home built little half rack portable unit with a portico dual preamp at the heart. 500 series be damned!
Thinking a speck or summit eq, and maaaybe the pbc? or the summit tl50.
Then, it's off to sneaking into the Music dept. to make grand piano samples!
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Well, my Christmas present to myself was my first analogue mixing desk. So now I need to buy tons and tons of outboard gear!
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac
Allen heath ZEDr16... that is all. Presonus firestudio project has gotta go!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

our xmas came early. moved from ptle8 to HD2 8, got an 8 core mac, lynx aurora 16 ch ad>da, new audiolot patchbay, all new mogami cable, and for the first time in ten years everything we have is hooked into the patchbay!

we need 2 500 series pre's to bring us to 16 and we need 4-6 500 series eq to bring us up to 16 pres w/ 16 eq + 18 comps to choose on the way in!

2011 should bring us a pair of cs4 lucas mics.

if we make enough dough we will get the 2nd aurora 16 and start building our preamps from 17 to 32.... no end in sight!

also would like a good les paul, another acoustic guitar and some amps, maybe some synths and some midi stuff, a rhodes, moog, etc.

how do you stop?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

A BAE 1028 would make me very happy.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigfrog View Post
our xmas came early. moved from ptle8 to HD2 8, got an 8 core mac, lynx aurora 16 ch ad>da, new audiolot patchbay, all new mogami cable, and for the first time in ten years everything we have is hooked into the patchbay!

we need 2 500 series pre's to bring us to 16 and we need 4-6 500 series eq to bring us up to 16 pres w/ 16 eq + 18 comps to choose on the way in!

2011 should bring us a pair of cs4 lucas mics.

if we make enough dough we will get the 2nd aurora 16 and start building our preamps from 17 to 32.... no end in sight!

also would like a good les paul, another acoustic guitar and some amps, maybe some synths and some midi stuff, a rhodes, moog, etc.

how do you stop?

*Doctor! We have another patient in suffering from a GAS attack!!*
*He just keeps laying on the floor moaning something about slutz!*
heh
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

I will be trying NOT to buy a API 2500, a Chandler TG2, a pair of Neumann KM86's, a Neumann U67, a vintage Martin guitar and a vintage Fender blackface or tweed amp...

I WILL however buy a pair of Electrodyne 511 eq's, a pair of API 560's and a lot of Belden 8154 to finally wire up that patch bay
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Guru

1073LB
550a
Old 4th January 2011

another gap 73 and I think this is they year I'll upgrade my plugins and daw in general as well my acoustics making my room look better then fiberglass rolls in the corners floor to celing
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

My resolution for gear this year is to combat redundancy. The main/biggest step for me will be to steer clear of anything Roland, Edirol, or Boss. Oh and no new guitars. 9 is enough.
Old 4th January 2011
Benchmark Media ADC16

Old 4th January 2011
I guess I have everything I need...and I shouldn't buy anything else, but that being said, my list of things I'll probably add this year will include:
• UAD-2 Duo or Quad with a bunch of plugs.
• another AD expansion card for one of the 192s, and another DA.
• A ƒ DA card for the 428
• Focal Twins
• More Neumanns
• More Focusrite Red series
• Another 1073

That's about it, but there will be 1000 other small purchases too. Needs always arise!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search