The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Turn analog faders into midi controllers
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Turn analog faders into midi controllers

Is there a product out there that can turn a fader on an analog board into a midi controller?

I was thinking of some device that might plug into a channels insert point, feed in a tone and then read the volume difference at the channels output and convert that to midi information to use to control a DAW.

I'm not interested in buying a dedicated control surface, or even an A+H ZedR16, but I have spare channels on my analog board that I'd love to be able to use in this way. Anyone doing it?
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

I dunno.. I suppose, theoretically you'd be able to send some sort of control voltage from your channel strips then to be converted into midi for DAW control.. maybe. I wouldn't know how to go about accomplishing that, though.
Old 2nd January 2011
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I used the Doepfer "Pocket Electronic" board in the midi controller box that I built and it works great. I didn't use any fader potentiometers but it should work fine with them.
Old 2nd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee View Post
I used the Doepfer "Pocket Electronic" board in the midi controller box that I built and it works great. I didn't use any fader potentiometers but it should work fine with them.
I don't even use the 9 fader and knob control surface I have (built into my 88 key piano controller) but that DIY kit looks so cool...
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter8 View Post
Quote:
Awesome, not quite what i had in mind because I'd have to permanently disconnect my faders from the board and hook them up to this, but it could definately work.

Any other less permanent was of doing this? Any sort of control voltage generator/reader/midi converter out there?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Might be more trouble than it's worth. Perhaps just get one of those super cheap Behringer fader control things and sit it on the unused channels of your console?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAlienSmith View Post
Awesome, not quite what i had in mind because I'd have to permanently disconnect my faders from the board and hook them up to this, but it could definately work.

Any other less permanent was of doing this? Any sort of control voltage generator/reader/midi converter out there?
I can't imagine how you're going to repurpose a fader without disconnecting it from your mixer. Were you thinking that you would run a tone through that channel fader and then convert the amplitude changes into a midi data stream? I suppose it could be done but as NF Audio says it would probably be more work than it's worth.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

would the fader need to be permanently disconnected, though? couldn't you hook it up to the pocket electronic in addition and only switch it on when you want to use the midi end of the console? sort of like a poor-mans SSL aws . . . selectable digital/analog focus.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Were you thinking that you would run a tone through that channel fader and then convert the amplitude changes into a midi data stream?
Yes, that exactly what I'm thinking of! I know it would be a pain but I thought that there might be a product out there that could do this. I've searched but haven't found anything myself.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NF Audio View Post
Might be more trouble than it's worth. Perhaps just get one of those super cheap Behringer fader control things and sit it on the unused channels of your console?
Hi Nick,

Yeah, I could do that and I'd get motorized faders as well but to be honest it would be be more comfortable, intuitive and less cramped if I could use the existing faders on my board. It is the mix position and it needs to feel right as well as sound good.

As for leaving the Pocket permanently connected to the faders while still having them connected to the audio path, I guess that would be ok, I'll look into it.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

I suppose the following could work :

-feed a steady sine tone to the input of a channel
-use a post fader direct out that goes into your AD converter
-use an audio to midi plugin that converts amplitude to a midi controller message

I found this plugin that probably could do this KVR: Jaltoh Ultram - Virtual Effect . But it seems to be no longer available ...
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAlienSmith View Post
Hi Nick,

Yeah, I could do that and I'd get motorized faders as well but to be honest it would be be more comfortable, intuitive and less cramped if I could use the existing faders on my board. It is the mix position and it needs to feel right as well as sound good.

As for leaving the Pocket permanently connected to the faders while still having them connected to the audio path, I guess that would be ok, I'll look into it.
If you're not bothered by warranties, you could take the faders out of your console, strip down the Behringer, and stick the faders from the Behringer through the slots left in your desk...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search