The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
vocals & acoustic guitar?(audio samples) Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

vocals & acoustic guitar?(audio samples)

(READ FIRST)
Why does it sound like that? Either its the vocals or guitar?
Am I missing something on the vocals? echo? more reverb?
Oh, and sorry for my voice, I just wanted to show you guys an example.

Please? I can't figure this out, I try to listen to other songs and think about what's missing but, I do not know.

I use Logic Pro just in case...

I will compliment you like I've never complimented before!
Attached Files

Output 1-2.mp3 (1.14 MB, 230 views)

Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Hi There,

When you say "Why does it sound like that?", what do you mean exactly? What does it sound like to you? To me, it sounds like you put up a mic in your room and sang and played the guitar...is this not the case?
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

It sounds like you're trying to sing out of your usable range.

Also, a little reverb on the vocals would help.

If you're recording both guitar and vocals at the same time through the same mic you might consider recording the guitar first as a single track and then an additional track for the vocals. That way you can EQ/FX them separately.
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post
Hi There,

When you say "Why does it sound like that?", what do you mean exactly? What does it sound like to you? To me, it sounds like you put up a mic in your room and sang and played the guitar...is this not the case?
No, I recorded the vocals and the guitar separate. It just doesn't seem like its blended together, like it needs something.
I want mine to sound like this basically,
YouTube - Mike Posner - Please Don't Go
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierge99 View Post
It sounds like you're trying to sing out of your usable range.

Also, a little reverb on the vocals would help.

If you're recording both guitar and vocals at the same time through the same mic you might consider recording the guitar first as a single track and then an additional track for the vocals. That way you can EQ/FX them separately.
Yeah, I recorded it separately. I tried EQ, Compressor, but still it was something missing from the vocals
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Before thinking about mixing and plugs, you need to remove the room noise from your recordings.

You need to record in as quiet a place as possible, with more isolation than your getting now. Even if you don't have acoustic treatment, you should be able to get lower room noise than that in your recordings.

Can you explain how you're recording your tracks and what your recording chain is?

Getting a better recording will allow you to get a better mix.
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Before thinking about mixing and plugs, you need to remove the room noise from your recordings.

You need to record in as quiet a place as possible, with more isolation than your getting now. Even if you don't have acoustic treatment, you should be able to get lower room noise than that in your recordings.

Can you explain how you're recording your tracks and what your recording chain is?

Usually when I try to record a quick song, I record it through the headphones of the mixer to the mic input in my macbook. Since its only recording one track thing.

I kinda just recorded right near my macbook to look at the lyrics.

If I am recording drums and all that, I use Presonus Firestudio Project. The first three of the channels are hooked from the mono channels from my mixer (Behringer XENYX 1222FX)

Isn't there any way to at least make it sound in another way?
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
what your recording chain is?

I forgot that question, do you mean which instruments do I record first you mean?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
I forgot that question, do you mean which instruments do I record first you mean?
I mean, what is the chain from mic to interface that you are using to record?
i.e. your mic -> mic pre -> your interface

I'm confused...you wrote, "I record it through the headphones of the mixer to the mic input in my macbook. Since its only recording one track thing". Do you mean you plug a mic into the mixer and from the mixer into your macbook mic line in? If so, record using your presonus interface and forget the mixer...why do you need a mixer if you have the interface and built-in pres? This will remove any unnecessary steps in your recording chain and I'm sure the Behringer mixer is adding noise as well. Your macbook is quiet so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Basically it's your room, the mixer, and the fact that your going into the mic line and using your internal sound card when you have an interface you can use for better results.

You can use plugins to make things sound different, sure. Again, when you asked earlier "Why does it sound like that?"...what do you mean by "that"?

After listening to the link, it doesn't sound too different from what you're doing except that the recording is quieter, it's been mixed and there's vocal tuning. So the first step before mixing is getting a better recording.
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
I mean, what is the chain from mic to interface that you are using to record?
i.e. your mic -> mic pre -> your interface

I'm confused...you wrote, "I record it through the headphones of the mixer to the mic input in my macbook. Since its only recording one track thing". Do you mean you plug a mic into the mixer and from the mixer into your macbook mic line in? If so, record using your presonus interface and forget the mixer...why do you need a mixer if you have the interface and built-in pres? This will remove any unnecessary steps in your recording chain and I'm sure the Behringer mixer is adding noise as well. Your macbook is quiet so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Basically it's your room, the mixer, and the fact that your going into the mic line and using your internal sound card when you have an interface you can use for better results.

You can use plugins to make things sound different, sure. Again, when you asked earlier "Why does it sound like that?"...what do you mean by "that"?

After listening to the link, it doesn't sound too different from what you're doing except that the recording is quieter, it's been mixed and there's vocal tuning. So the first step before mixing is getting a better recording.
Okay, I'll try recording in a much more quiet room, but the thing is that, my Macbook doesn't have that much RAM, so the interface lags in Logic Pro and Garageband (even though I closed all the other applications). The audio track lags and it doesn't follow the metronome.

"that" indicates that it doesn't blend well with the acoustic guitar. Now that you told me about the room recording, it makes sense, that was the problem all along.
So, thank you for that!
and happy new year!
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
not sure how old your macbook is, but if it has 2gb ram or more, you shouldn't have a problem with recording audio.

Also, if an audio track lags behind a metronome, it's because you haven't recorded on time to the metronome and doesn't have anything to do with your macbook or the interface. If you're talking about recording latency (a lag between you singing and what you hear in the headphones), make sure you are using direct monitoring when you record.

In any case, try to get a more isolated sound. Try putting up some blankets or search threads on acoustic treatment if you're serious about it.
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
not sure how old your macbook is, but if it has 2gb ram or more, you shouldn't have a problem with recording audio.

Also, if an audio track lags behind a metronome, it's because you haven't recorded on time to the metronome and doesn't have anything to do with your macbook or the interface. If you're talking about recording latency (a lag between you singing and what you hear in the headphones), make sure you are using direct monitoring when you record.

In any case, try to get a more isolated sound. Try putting up some blankets or search threads on acoustic treatment if you're serious about it.
I have 2.5 Gb of RAM and I follow the metronome when i play through the midi on the keyboard and that does not lag and its perfect timing with the metronome.
The interface or the computer actually lags, the cpu status just goes way up when I play something (acoustic guitar, drums, etc.). I turn off any feedback from the microphones, all I hear is just the metronome. So, I really don't know what the problem is...

The blankets idea is a good idea. I think I will also put them inside the closet so the sound wouldn't bounce off the wood to the microphone.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Wait. You're using headphones as a mic, and you wonder why your vocals aren't sounding as good as a condensor mic?
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
Wait. You're using headphones as a mic, and you wonder why your vocals aren't sounding as good as a condensor mic?
No, its like
Condenser Mic > Mixer > Computer
I plugged a mic into the mixer and from the mixer output speakers I connect into my macbook mic line in.
Probably with the headphones as a microphone, it would sound a lot worse.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search