The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ain't No Sunshine - Live Clip
Old 2nd January 2011
Ain't No Sunshine - Live Clip

was browsing around and found this...

Great video, tight live performance of a great song... Bill Withers, and I do believe that is James Gadson on drums, Melvin Dunlap on bass, and Benorce Blackmon on Guitar... anyone who owns the LP of Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band can see their faces featured clearly on the back... I used to be in love with "Express Yourself" and had to find out who the fine drummer and bassist were... turns out they went on to play with Withers, there they are, doing there thing... playing tight and smiling big, leaning back like it don't matter...
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Rene, Thanks for posting that.

Effortless and slick .. Yet beautifully bittersweet ..
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Really nice. I could see each musician totally listening to each other, imo missing in many performances.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Cool.... i also like the various versions freddie king did of this song.... i think he got it quite right...
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

awesome, thanks.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I watch this literally once a week. Gadsen's ridiculous groove is next level....

Amazing stuff.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, these guys have got a groove a mile deep. Love the way Bill swings the acoustic rhythm on 'Sunshine'.

This is from the same session, and I totally prefer it to the studio version of this song (which most certainly does not suck).

YouTube - Bill Withers - use me
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Awesome. Bill withers has become my favorite singer of all time. His wroting is unbelieveable, and his voice is just "right"
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

There's a recent (2009) documentary called Still Bill that is available on Netflix. It's excellent and he talks quite a bit about his career and the music business in general. It's definitely worth checking out.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 2nd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
There's a recent (2009) documentary called Still Bill that is available on Netflix. It's excellent and he talks quite a bit about his career and the music business in general. It's definitely worth checking out.

Cheers,
--
Don
I got an email from B-Side, who I think produced the film... I've wanted to check it out... now I will
Old 2nd January 2011
F'n AWESOME!

thumbsup

Thanks for that.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

i friggin love Bill Withers
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

What's the little mic pointed at Bill's 12th fret on his guitar? Some sort of akg c-452 capsule etc ?
Old 2nd January 2011
Bill Withers in an Interesting artist... I'm only saying this from the outside looking in, as I don't know too much about his history, but it seems to me he was one of the game changers in R&B... Compared to the sound of his 70's contemporaries he was in his own distict direction for sure... yet at the same time it's still very much R&B... not to mention he's playing with an all star cast of true R&B guys.

His voice is really something else...
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Looks like ol' Bill is really sweating into that turtleneck.

The thing I always liked about the guy was his Everyman quality. He wasn't slick, he wasn't show-bizzy. He was real.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Another live Bill song. The sad part is if you type the song title into youtube the first hit is a horrible version by John Legend and the Roots! That's kinda like if the Bee Gee's version of Day in the Life came up first! heh

Old 11th June 2011
the kit?

resurrecting an old thread, but worth the stab in the dark:

can anyone identify the make/model of any of the pieces of james gadson's kit?
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC View Post
Yeah, these guys have got a groove a mile deep. Love the way Bill swings the acoustic rhythm on 'Sunshine'.

This is from the same session, and I totally prefer it to the studio version of this song (which most certainly does not suck).

YouTube - Bill Withers - use me
YES! I was gonna post this one too. Awesome awesomeness with an extra helping of awesome.
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

another great clip and groove from that band...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search