The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
living in a area where finding a mentor is hard Omaha,NE Monitor Controllers
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

living in a area where finding a mentor is hard Omaha,NE

okay I live in OMaha,NE where the population is a little bit over 500,000
now it's a rated like #2 place to raise a family in the top ten to build wealth..(google Warren Buffet) alot of ppl in omaha invested in his company a while back so we have tons of millionaires, and hundredthousand-naires lol

okay for my question I would like to learn to mix from a pro in my area.. there aren't many professional commercial studios here..so I was wondering what is the best way to check the creditials of a mix engineer besides the equipment...he/she owns.. I want to improve by working with a mentor..

is there another way to improve besides practicing...
you can practice football by yourself but having a coach is better

is there a website or DVD-rom tutorial set that you guys recommend...
I'm going to back to audioinsituteofamerica again.. this time finish all five sections.. only did 2 last time.... now they have more online support available

Recording Engineer School; Online Course for Home Studios and Professional Careers

maybe I'll just to the audioinstitue of america thing and if I feel I need more guidance look for a pro in my area..
because I plan to pay to person ..that way they will give me the mentoring I deserve ..not out of pity and cleaning toiletstutt
Old 2nd January 2011

Hey my name is Rick Carson I run Make Believe recording in Omaha NE, we recently took over the old bass line studios and have been working on a bunch of records as well as other projects. PM me if you want to talk more.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

another gearslut in omaha now that's hopeful....yeah I'm going to get in contact with you I start part time at Omaha Steaks tommorrow and work at Regency Marroitt in the morning so soon as I get myself some time maybe we can get together... I'll p.m. you....
I graduated from Benson High School 97'
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fataltone View Post
okay I live in OMaha,NE where the population is a little bit over 500,000....
I don't know who mix the last Brad Hoshaw or Midwest Dilemma CD's and I'm to lazy to dig the CD's out, but they are both Omaha artists (I think Brad is...?) and great sounding disks. Meet those guys.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

The audioinstruction.com DVDs are really great! The Shane Wilson Mixing CD is full of really valuable tips. Actually Swafford I recorded and played drums on the Hoshaw disk. AJ Mogis mixed it and also mixed the Midwest Dilemma disk.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

All good options suggested.

And the best one, and the one that actually works.....

Put 1000 mixes under your belt, and if you have any inclination towards mixing at all, you will be really good.

thumbsupthumbsup
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Well said Dr. Bill! No better way to learn than just doing it and making mistakes along the way! Trial and Error is often the best "mentor" in the world! Problem is...we are all looking for some "secret" formula to great mixes, however, once you get a handle on the fundamentals, it's really all about "the ears" from there on out.
Old 3rd January 2011

I'm pretty sure Tim Cich did these at my studio when it was his. They do sound good.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford

I don't know who mix the last Brad Hoshaw or Midwest Dilemma CD's and I'm to lazy to dig the CD's out, but they are both Omaha artists (I think Brad is...?) and great sounding disks. Meet those guys.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

The Midwest dilemma disk was tracked mostly at baseline Rick, but it was mixed at ARC by AJ Mogis. The Hoshaw disk was tracked entirely at my place and also mixed by AJ. Timmy didn't have anything to do with that one. Tim is a great guy and a heck of an engineer!
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFactProd View Post
Well said Dr. Bill! No better way to learn than just doing it and making mistakes along the way! Trial and Error is often the best "mentor" in the world! Problem is...we are all looking for some "secret" formula to great mixes, however, once you get a handle on the fundamentals, it's really all about "the ears" from there on out.
I guess we're in a new age..because far as I remembered ppl had second chair assistant engineers ... so yeah I guess just mixing tracks for ppl on my own...1,000 mixes I think I have only mixed about 100 songs....tons of my own instrumentals... I need to set up my space again... get some better monitors and a better d/a and monitoring system..
so I think I'll work out of my and get a
GIK room kit(use my aurelex foam and bass traps until)
JBL monitors
dangerous D-box
that's about 4k and some diy work not bad for a small one man mix studio
tons of artist will give trackouts for free (and after a while if I feel I'm doing a great job a small fee)
so in the next three months I'm going to work on that..
I have Cubase 4 which has decent stock plugs(probably use the small fee $40 or something stack that up and buy the UAD Omni w/ssl bundle and Studer(at 5k mark I'll be footing most of the bill out of savings for those highend plugs) and then work on my studio build...

thanks to all the ppl who posted on this thread and to the omaha engineers that posted what do you think about a tracking/mixing omaha engineer coalition??????
something simple like a quartly lunch to talk about the music scene around Omaha...time to work
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFactProd View Post
The Midwest dilemma disk was tracked mostly at baseline Rick, but it was mixed at ARC by AJ Mogis. The Hoshaw disk was tracked entirely at my place and also mixed by AJ. Timmy didn't have anything to do with that one. Tim is a great guy and a heck of an engineer!
That Hoshaw disc has been a staple in my rotation since Justin and Brad came though town 2 years ago. Great songs, excellent production. Nice guy to boot!
Old 3rd January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFactProd
That's awesome you did the Hoshaw record. Great job!
Tim is a great guy and AJ is in my opinion the most talented person in Omaha in my opinion.

I'd love to have an Omaha slutz meet up and would be more than willing to host it if you guys are interested.

Rick
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Stay Tuned Swafford I believe we start tracking the new disk next month!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search