The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just making sure I'm good to go! Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

Just making sure I'm good to go!

I apologize to the fullest if this is in the wrong forum, I just want to make sure I'm good to record as soon as my stuff gets here from UPS!

I just purchased the RODE NT1-a microphone (Rode Microphones NT1-A Condenser Mic Bundle and more Condenser Microphones at GuitarCenter.com.) and GuitarCenter
I just wanted to check to make sure I'll be good to record once everything gets here! Is there anything else I need to purchase?

I will be plugging into a PC.

I'm recording vocals only.

If you guys need any other information to make your suggestion, please let me know. Thanks guys/girls!

Also, will I be able to use any DAW with the interface I purchased?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

What interface DID you purchase? That seems to be the key question
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Why would you ask after the purchase.Kinda chasing your tail.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Am I missing something or didn't you buy an interface? You'll definitively need one of those if you want to start recording.
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

GuitarCenter

There's the link.

And having already purchased the equipment isn't an issue. I could easily return or purchase more if necessary.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Yup, wont be a problem. If all you want to do is record vocals, you shouldn't be needing a super high end DAW. Go for a "light version" of something. Or, if it suites your needs, go for something free like Audacity.

Good luck!
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

Thank you for the quick reply! I appreciate it!
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

download reaper
Old 2nd January 2011
Reaper is an excellent choice of DAW. It's fast becoming a pro standard alternative to the big name expensive DAWS.

When you get your Rode, you are going to notice that it has big XLR connectors - and there is nothing on your computer to plugin this into.

Did you order a mic cable as well?

You need to plug the mic cable into a mic preamp of some sorts. And the mic preamp needs to be connected to an Audio to Digital converter. You can buy standalone seperate mic preamps and converters - but these are expensive (for a reason) and you probably don't need that level of quality yet.

The 'interfaces' that people are refering to are basically some preamps and converters in a box that connect to your computer over firewire or USB. There are lots to choose from - with varying levels of features, problems and audio quality.

Are you Mac or PC? What is your budget? What are your skills and expectations? There is no easy answer to what you should buy ... plenty of gotchas.

Maybe you should just buy a USB microphone? Or a USB microphone adapter that will allow you to use your new mic?

EDIT: note that the NT-1 will will require Phantom Power. So the mic preamp or interface you need will have to supply phantom power.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search