The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question: Drum software (Addictive) and a 1073ish pre Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 2nd January 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Scott Whigham's Avatar
 

Question: Drum software (Addictive) and a 1073ish pre

This is a noob question so I'll thank you in advance for being gentle with me.

Thank you

Now, here's my situation: I did a demo of Addictive Drums a few weeks back, fell in love, and bought it. I bought the Retro and the Jazz kits along with it. I really dig it - it's easy, sounds great, and I'm having fun.

In my everquest to become even more of a slut, I thought, "Hmmmm - these drums sound great! But could they sound even better if I ran them through my Chandler LTD-1?" (or 1073, Aurora GTQ2, or whatnot - something nice, let's say).

So does anyone do this? Do you take your drum software, run it through a pre to add [warmth/color/whatever], and then use that instead of the original MIDI?

I guess my point is that I, like so many, love the color that a nice Neveish pre adds and I wonder if it wouldn't tame some of the harshness that's in the drum samples?

Just thinking out loud - haven't tried it.

Be nice - I'm brand new to drum software
Old 2nd January 2011
  #2
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whigham View Post
In my everquest to become even more of a slut, I thought, "Hmmmm - these drums sound great! But could they sound even better if I ran them through my Chandler LTD-1?" (or 1073, Aurora GTQ2, or whatnot - something nice, let's say).

So does anyone do this? Do you take your drum software, run it through a pre to add [warmth/color/whatever], and then use that instead of the original MIDI?

I guess my point is that I, like so many, love the color that a nice Neveish pre adds and I wonder if it wouldn't tame some of the harshness that's in the drum samples?

Just thinking out loud - haven't tried it.

Be nice - I'm brand new to drum software
If you have the GTQ2 and the Chandler then why not try it?? Heck Ive recorded my drum machines using mics on my monitors here to add some live. IF I have those two pres Id try it.

I hear you on the harshness on the ADD but you need to go into the effects in AD and shut them down to get the samples more dry or real sounding IMO. THATS where that harshness is coming from IMO
Old 2nd January 2011
  #3
Gear Nut
 
Dudevico's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Heck Ive recorded my drum machines using mics on my monitors here to add some live.
That is awesome! Trying that one out fo shure heh
Old 2nd January 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Scott Whigham's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
If you have the GTQ2 and the Chandler then why not try it?? Heck Ive recorded my drum machines using mics on my monitors here to add some live. IF I have those two pres Id try it.

I hear you on the harshness on the ADD but you need to go into the effects in AD and shut them down to get the samples more dry or real sounding IMO. THATS where that harshness is coming from IMO
Yeah, I'll try it then. Good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks they ADD is a bit harsh out of the box (and thanks for the tips on fixing it). I love ADD so far but, like everything, I like to tweak
Old 2nd January 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 

I agree about bypassing the built in effects. Most effects that come with drum libraries are not that good, in my opinion.

But you might be able to get them to sound really good by running them through some good sounding plugins that emulate vintage equipment.

I was messing around with Addictive drums on the computer at Guitar Center and was pleased with how good they sounded going through the Waves CLA 76, and some others.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
kriszuki / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
Saxy / So much gear, so little time
0
MrCrowbar / Low End Theory
13
Deviated / So much gear, so little time
0
swankdoc / Music Computers
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump