The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Burner software-- WTF? DAW Software
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Burner software-- WTF?

Gads. I'm getting to wonder what is it with CD burn apps?
I'm done with Pyro, some others can't keep track#'s, names and 'artist straight, Pyro saves the damn sessions backwards!
Looking under 'CD Arch and find all this crap..
CD Architect or other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vile_ator View Post
Last time I tried that program (version 5 I think), it sounded grainy. I use a Pyramix mastering workstation and compared to that, CDA was obviously inferior. My files lost clarity and width. Math isnt so good I guess. Dont know if thats fixed now or not.

Colin
Quote:
Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
CD ARCHITECT definatley makes the sound grainier, but is that just in the listening stage.
They have PREVIEW, GOOD, and BEST options in the RESAMPLE QUALITY options.
I think that this is only in the listening stage and not the true sound of the wavs

If it is the true sound of the wav's - holy s--t. Were in trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
being a long time user of cd architect it´s very clear, that what was a good program became a big POS once sony bought out sonic foundry.

the same happened with sound forge, dvd architect and vegas...

the blue, i understand your pain... sony software really, really sucks...

(exception made for sonnox plugins, which are just fine.. )
Wish list then is- good full feature set, reliable ..good tools thank you.
Most of my audio prep I'm ok doing that in Sonar, but does it simply take springing for a good mastering prog to get this?

Sorry.. Vista and XP..
Old 1st January 2011
Can't help but wonder that maybe I'm 'the blue' referred to in taturana's post (probably am), as I've had some definite issues with Sony in the past. That said, I've mostly back on the happy side with the software developed in their Sonic Foundry division.

I'm now a big fan of their vid-editor, Vegas (I have the ~$100US 'platinum' consumer version, which includes DVD-Architect, which I haven't really explored). I used Sound Forge and CD-Architect before Sony bought them and generally like those quite well.

But when I first updated to Sony versions, I was having some problems but I later reinstalled and everything's been reasonable. But, you know, who burns CDs anymore? heh My experience with recent versions of CD-Arch have not been deep.

I've only used CD-Arch a few times since reinstalling. Seems like it's worked well -- but I wasn't looking for any 'graininess' problem.

Offhand, from what I know (not that much) of the way it likely treats preview audio, I'd be surprised by such a graininess problem, with one exception...

Since CD-Arch does offer time-stretching and that almost always produces effects one might describe as 'graininess' I'm wondering if someone inadvertently stretching a track [shrinking usually works better, since no new data must be interpolated out of thin air] might be the cause of some of those complaints.

Because of the way stretching is invoked in Sony products like Vegas (and, I suspect current vers of CD-Arch), it's not all that hard to inadvertantly combo-click and drag on an edge thinking you're going to be moving or slip editing and actually stretch the clip.

Now, I'm not certain whether the stretching happens before playback-preview or if one hears a low quality preview version of the stretch and then the stretch itself is rendered at burn time, but the other changes possible (off the top of my head) in CD-Arch probably aren't going to be CPU-intensive so the preview-audio mode shouldn't be grainy for those. You'd think. But stretching -- even in a fully rendered finished form -- is possible/likely to have problems that may be quite noticeable.

I'm not sure any of that helps... but it's all I got. heh
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Guru

Burner software-- WTF?

I edit in Sequioa (Samplitude's big brother) and burn the CD directly from the program.

Samplitude and Wavelab both do this as well, without having to export to another program.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I burned my first disk on CD Arch last week, and had no change in the audio that I can hear. The only bitch I have with Sony at the mo' is not being able to use Sound Forge as wave editor in Sonar 8.5 64 bit.

Blue, I can see how that could happen. Even after watching the tutorials, I hit Ctrl-Z a lot that first go-round.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Hmm, I was just thinking of getting CD Architect, but maybe ill invest in a better program to burn off masters.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search