The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My holy grail mic..... Ribbon Microphones
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
My holy grail mic.....

Hey, I'm not really a very good singer but as a writer I frequently have to record my tones. I've had the pleasure of recording my vocal on many mics over the years and had varying amounts of success, but I've never really found that out-of-the-box winner.

I always have to seriously push the eq around 9kHz and that rarely brings nice things with it. I've sung down 87's 67's 47's all sorts really. Never a C12 as it goes. Surprisingly (to me at least) some of the best recordings I've made of myself have been on ribbon mics that show off the chesty low mid of my voice.

Just a man looking for something that works peculiarly for me. Any advice apart from to give up singing?
Old 1st January 2011
AEA R44CE

Cloud JRS-34-P

You can boost the highs for days and they won't sound harsh like a condenser mic, and the lows/mids are like butter.

Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
AEA R44CE
Co-Sign.

RCA 44.

Royer 122 can be good - very neutral freq response, and handles high spl well if you're a belter.

BLUE Woodpecker is 100% hit or miss. It either words beautifully or sucks brilliant ass. Depends highly on placement, voice, and context - true of all mics, but the woodpecker seems especially finicky.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard nothing but great things about the Coles 4038.
Old 1st January 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by automatom View Post
ust a man looking for something that works peculiarly for me. Any advice apart from to give up singing?
Key words in that sentence are "for me". Ain't nobody here can crawl into your head and hear what you would like to hear - only you can do that. If you're serious in this quest it will be best for you to form a relationship with a reseller and have a bunch shipped in for you to test... and test away until you hit on THE microphone that tickles your fancy.

There are no shortcuts - and while you will get all kinds of "recommendations" here - only you will know what is right and you're the only person who has a valid opinion.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
My holy grail mic.....

Well said. I know you're right, but recommendations are warmly accepted. I'm looking for a twig, but there's so much wood...and trees.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well said. I know you're right, but recommendations are warmly accepted. I'm looking for a twig, but there's so much wood...and trees.
Fletcher is right, as usual, but I'll take a stab anyway. I have a kinda shop-worn baritone voice, and the first mic that made me sound like I like to sound was a humble AT 4050. Still is.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
...some of the best recordings I've made of myself have been on ribbon mics that show off the chesty low mid of my voice.
Didn't you just answer your own question?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

...except perhaps for that whole need to seriously push 9 KHz.

automatom, try a Brauner!
Old 2nd January 2011
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Put the Electro-Voice 664, and 666 on your shortlist.

The 664 also makes a cool car hood ornament BTW.
IIRC correctly you can pick them up lately (usually) under $100.

Have you tried a Shure SM7 out yet? (someone HAD to mention itheh)

Chris

P.S. A solid combo book/CD for vocal training is "Secrets Of Singing", by Jeffrey Allen.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Don't limit yourself to $$$ LDC's...not always the magic bullet. Hell, I coaxed some great vox out of a $40 MCA SP1. Dynamics can be great on some singers, however they don't typically perform well for vox in your average interface mic pre...it's one instance where you can't cheap on the pre.

Hopefully you have a little capital to play with, and are able to demo several mics...it's the only way to fly unless you have a lot of time to kill.
Old 7th January 2011
500 series nutjob

i don't believe their is such a thing as the holy grail mic, at least not for me.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I just had a lot of success using an aa cm47. What a terrific microphone. Lovely Low's and takes the kind of eq I need with ease.

Unbelievable for the price.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search