The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
patchbay hell..help!!! Mixers (Analog)
Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear

patchbay hell..help!!!

hi all,
just fried my XSUM mixer with my new patchbay setup in my studio. i spent a week wiring it together all outboard into patchbay. after finishing last night went to test a few stems and WHAM-O!!!i started getting smoke out of my beautiful XSUM master channel...ie i fried it. my studio still smells like burnt electronic components. i still havent tested other pieces to make sure they were not damaged either. last night was definitely a dark moment.

i talked with vince for a while on the phone today (btw - the BEST support you will ever receive from any company bar none). he is going to fix the xsum. we are both clueless as to what happended. maybe vince can figure out after he takes a look. i have a bunch of gear normalled into the xsum but its all pro balanced or unbalanced line level outs feeding it. anyway i pretty much assume i did something stupid that i have not noticed yet in my wiring. i just dont know what.

right now i am a little gun shy. i have over $$$'s worth of outboard strapped into the patchbays . i am freaked out that something is going to happen again and possibly to some rare vintage eq or compressor. in fact i am still not sure if something else was damaged. havent had time to check.

has anyone out there fried gear on accident from their patchbay configuration? any weird freak accidents that you finally figured out the problem. what the hell should i do next?

thanks in advanced
electric
Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear

Man, to fry **** that badly you surely have to either:

* Wired mains voltahe into the patchbay
* Wired power amp outputs into the patchbay

Will be interesting to know what... I am guessing you didnt wire the mains electricity in there... you didn't put the power amp outs there, did ya??
Old 24th January 2006
member no 666

Do you have some phantom power floating around the bay?

I reckon I'd recommend that you "ring out" every line with a VOM before continuing. If you have some kind of DC voltage floating on your ground buss [or in your bay] that could would certainly be cause for concern.

Best of luck with it.
Old 25th January 2006
Lives for gear

thanks for the replies..

no phantom power on the bay. i did this to keep things "simple". the bryston 4bst was tied directly to the xsum mix out balanced output.

here is the thing. i may have not had the speck xsum power supply connector pushed in all the way. (the unit is hanging vertically with the face panel pointing up). the power supply connector is one of those weird 8-pin or 10-pin looking connectors that looks like the connector an on old mouse or keyboard. after i fried the unit i noticed it looked like it was not pushed all the way in. i'd say there is a good chance that the unit was not properly powered and then was coupled with the bryston which shorted something out. a nice enhancement on the xsum for jack-asses like myself might be to put a locking ring on the power connector to make sure its locked firmly into place. however there is not much space in that little guy left.

hopefully the only thing that got fried was the master section on the xsum(. ill have to check the bryston tonight when i get home.
Old 25th January 2006
Lives for gear

hi fletcher,
what do you mean by "ringing the line"? i assume you mean measuring with a voltage meter or something like that? how do you go about doing this?

i kept the grounds isolated on every channel instead of bussed. is this good? bad?

electric

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search