The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommended software for mac mini
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Recommended software for mac mini

Happy New Year fellow slutz!

So I've been looking for a new computer to use as my dedicated DAW and I've landed on a Apple Mac mini MC239LL/A 2.53GHz/4GB/320G that I found on ebay for about $700. With its specs, I think it will be able to handle whatever plugins and whatnot that I'll be throwing at it. I pretty much only record my own band in our practice space but I want the freedom to be able to add midi instruments and all kinds of effects and not worry about major latency issues or the program crashing.

I've done a little research and found that this operating system (Mac OS X 10.5) does not support Pro Tools 9 but does for Protools 7.4.2 (which you can apparently download for free.) Would it be worth it to update the operating system so I could get Pro Tools 9? Or is there another program that anybody has had experience with that runs particularly smooth on this platform.
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

If you wanna run Pro Tools, you could go with 7.4.2, just keep in mind you'll need the Digi hardware to run it. Either way I would update your OS to 10.6 regardless of what DAW you go with.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Take a look at reaper. It's free to evaluate, works with a lot of interfaces very well, and is _very_ lightweight in CPU and memory. I thought maybe I had problems with it before on my imac but it was just buggy plugins. Give it a try.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate416 View Post
If you wanna run Pro Tools, you could go with 7.4.2, just keep in mind you'll need the Digi hardware to run it. Either way I would update your OS to 10.6 regardless of what DAW you go with.
+1 to that.thumbsup
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smagnant View Post
Happy New Year fellow slutz!

So I've been looking for a new computer to use as my dedicated DAW and I've landed on a Apple Mac mini MC239LL/A 2.53GHz/4GB/320G that I found on ebay for about $700. With its specs, I think it will be able to handle whatever plugins and whatnot that I'll be throwing at it. I pretty much only record my own band in our practice space but I want the freedom to be able to add midi instruments and all kinds of effects and not worry about major latency issues or the program crashing.

I've done a little research and found that this operating system (Mac OS X 10.5) does not support Pro Tools 9 but does for Protools 7.4.2 (which you can apparently download for free.) Would it be worth it to update the operating system so I could get Pro Tools 9? Or is there another program that anybody has had experience with that runs particularly smooth on this

platform.
"Logic Express"
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate416 View Post
Thanks for the heads up on needing the digi hardware. I hadn't thought of that. I've already got the firepod 10 and don't want to have to replace my interface as well. After a little more research I found Snow Leopard apparently does support certain versions of cubase including cubase 5 (what I'm currently running). So now its a matter of finding my cubase 5 cd so I can upload it on my new daw.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search