The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is there such a thing as a poor man's Sony C-37A? Condenser Microphones
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Is there such a thing as a poor man's Sony C-37A?

I really like the albums I've heard with vocals recorded with a Sony C-37A. Since finding them and affording one are both kind of impossible for me, i was wondering if there is such a thing as a poor man's c-37a?
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

C-38b...

Okay, so it's not a tube mic, so it's in a whole new category you could say...

BUT, it is an AMAZING mic, and I'm in no way exaggerating... works great on vocals, and countless other sources, a true all-purpose condenser... and the pricetag is nothing compared to the $2500+ you pay for usable c-37s...

I OWN 4! Take my word for it, I just bought 2 original 1970's ones off of ebay from Japan for about $750 each... if you search c-38 on ebay the same guy is selling the mics all the time, his name is vintagemiclover or something... his english is questionable, but his mics are great...

C-38bs are comparable to a Neumann U87, which has become one of the "Standard" all-purpose LDCs... not to mention a famous vocal mic. I think the review on MIX online of the c-38b says that it goes beyond the U87 in sound...
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Thats wild that the C38B is still in production. You never hear anything about them.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by musical5 View Post
Thats wild that the C38B is still in production. You never hear anything about them.
I think they reissued them a couple years ago.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I think they reissued them a couple years ago.
The reissue is about $1,900 to $2,500, which is back in the price range of the vintage C-37s...

The vintage ones are great, my first pair were in wretched shape and still sounded great until they crapped out on me (I broke one of them).

But yeah, price tag between $500 and $1000 used, fabulous mics.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene-lemieux View Post
The reissue is about $1,900 to $2,500, which is back in the price range of the vintage C-37s...

The vintage ones are great, my first pair were in wretched shape and still sounded great until they crapped out on me (I broke one of them).

But yeah, price tag between $500 and $1000 used, fabulous mics.
That's good to know. How similar do they sound to C37a?
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
That's good to know. How similar do they sound to C37a?
I cannot say, as I've never used the C-37a, I've almost bought a pair several times, but they became a lesser priority due to their high price... The 38 is a FET version of what I THINK is the same layout as the 37... Like a U47 and a 47 FET, they are different beasts because of the guts, but desirable mics in their own rights, I think the capsules are the same in the Sonys.

Take my word for it, I love these mics to death, I've used C-38s on more sources than any other mic. One day I'll get my hands on a C-37, but until then these mics make me very happy, sound great, are affordable, and look cool, to boot...

I don't know why the vintage pieces aren't as sought after as they should be... maybe in a few years, when I am a famous producer/ engineer, and talk about how great the mics are, their retail value will go up... Until then, get them from Japan while their still inexpensive! heh

HERE ARE SOME PICS OF THE ONES I ORDERED FROM JAPAN A FEW MONTHS AGO. BEAUTIFUL PIECES
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Well now, we better delete this thread before people start hearing about the c-38s and their prices go up
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

For a while, Sony offered the ECM377 - an electret version of the C37.
Old 5th March 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene-lemieux View Post
C-38b...

Okay, so it's not a tube mic, so it's in a whole new category you could say...

BUT, it is an AMAZING mic, and I'm in no way exaggerating... works great on vocals, and countless other sources, a true all-purpose condenser... and the pricetag is nothing compared to the $2500+ you pay for usable c-37s...

I OWN 4! Take my word for it, I just bought 2 original 1970's ones off of ebay from Japan for about $750 each... if you search c-38 on ebay the same guy is selling the mics all the time, his name is vintagemiclover or something... his english is questionable, but his mics are great...

C-38bs are comparable to a Neumann U87, which has become one of the "Standard" all-purpose LDCs... not to mention a famous vocal mic. I think the review on MIX online of the c-38b says that it goes beyond the U87 in sound...
Some time ago i has bought C38b from "vintagemiclover" at ebay too.
Excellent mic.
And seller (vintagemiclover) very good man.
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear
The Groove Tube MD3 was a copy of the 37a, but it's even more rare.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search