The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
pro tools 9 better performance with digidesign interface? Audio Interfaces
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

pro tools 9 better performance with digidesign interface?

would I see an improvement using a digi interface over a 3rd party one in terms of performance?

thanks, M
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

no you would probably see worse
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

i've been using my FF800 with PT9 for a while now. no issues.

just yesterday i had to do a mobile live recording so i brought along my 003, as sound quality wasn't a huge issue and i wasn't about to yank my FF from the rack and patchbay. i can't say it was any more or less unstable, but it was a bit odd setting it up, since they don't support aggregate device integration. i couldn't figure out how to set it all up!
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

I thought that digi hardware would show better performance for some reason.

i'm finding really poor performance using my tascam fw1884 (which works vey well with logic/cubase), even with high buffers, i still struggle to mix decent size sessions, and tracking is awfull if you use plugins especially-even at 512 buffer which of course is pretty latent!

I'm using a macbook pro 2.53 and 8gb ram..

M
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

due to this being avid's first foray into full asio support you will probably find that their own interfaces will give more consistant stability over certain 3rd party interfaces. i doubt very much you'd see any actual software based performance gains.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOIST101 View Post
I thought that digi hardware would show better performance for some reason.

i'm finding really poor performance using my tascam fw1884 (which works vey well with logic/cubase), even with high buffers, i still struggle to mix decent size sessions, and tracking is awfull if you use plugins especially-even at 512 buffer which of course is pretty latent!

I'm using a macbook pro 2.53 and 8gb ram..

M
Don't know about Logic/Cubase, but for the best PT9 performance I think the ideal setup would be a Digi interface which would use Digidesign drivers (vs core audio or asio), and a separate fast hard drive dedicated to audio recording/mixing.

You can record to a single internal drive, but you'll have lower track counts and performance.

Digi recommends a 7200rpm drive and your macbook pro has a 5400rpm, I think... PT9 recording and playing back off a a single 5400rpm drive could explain the poor performance.

For stability reasons, I prefer a separate internal SATA 7200rpm drive for PT instead of an external FW drive, but I don't know what options you have with a macbook pro. Another option could be daisy-chaining a FW800 drive (FW800 port > 7200rpm FW800 ext drive> tascam fw1884), but that could bring its own issues.

-Bruno
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks guys,

Actually I have a second internal drive and both run at 7200rpm.

So digi hardware won't use core audio?

Thanks, M
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelMeyer003 View Post
no you would probably see worse
Ok, this is the stuff that jacks threads up. Go ahead, wise guy. Explain.......
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOIST101 View Post
Thanks guys,

Actually I have a second internal drive and both run at 7200rpm.

So digi hardware won't use core audio?

Thanks, M
Hmm. My guess would be the drivers for the Tascam or a buggy RTAS plug-in.

Digi hardware uses their own Digi drivers with PT9, and core audio (mac) or asio (pc) drivers if used as an interface for Logic/Reaper/etc, or standalone.

-Bruno
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search