The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumman U87 v.s. Sony C-38b Condenser Microphones
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene-lemieux View Post
WOOO! Let's do a mic shootout soonish then, I can let you know the next time I'll be at the studio maybe, or I could come to yours, whatever is more convenient.
Yeah a mic shootout for sure. Five C38Bs, three different vintages, that'll be very interesting! Either place works for me, but if yours is booked up - we can use mine. There's flu in the house right now, but the next couple of weeks should work.
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

i think we had like 6 of them and i never saw anyone use them

we did have 16 u87's though
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
i think we had like 6 of them and i never saw anyone use them

we did have 16 u87's though

6 more C38Bs sitting idle in a drawer? What's with that?

Willing to sell them for cheap? heh
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

we sold all the mikes with the studio
Old 29th November 2016
Here for the gear

I have just purchased a c38b from Ebay. Atention this was originaly from TTG Studios in L.A. where the doors and hendrix and many others used to record. I have photos of them with this mics. The funny thing...it oesnt work well, the guy from ebay told me that it was in full working condition. So I think I am going to return it. The output is to low. Nothing of volume at all. The red light doesnt turns on, I tried it with battery and with phantom and very small signal. The diafragm looks fine. It might be the transformer? or something easier to fix? Thanks
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

When you say the output is low, what are you comparing it with? The specs list the sensitivity of the modern version as being 4.4mV/Pa, which is pretty low by modern standards. By comparison, a vintage U87 in cardioid is 8mV/Pa and a modern U87AI 28mv/Pa.

Assuming the sensitivity of the older C38 is roughly comparable with the new version, I'd expect it to be about on a par with some dynamic mics, and much quieter than most condensers. That's not a fault, it's just the way the mic is.
Old 29th November 2016
Here for the gear

When I mean low , is compeared even with shure 58 dynamic mics. Means that is to low for a recording. To much noise if y level the volume up.
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

It should be about twice as sensitive as an SM58.

Have you checked that the pad is not switched in?
Old 30th November 2016
Here for the gear

Thank you for the help. What means the pad switched in? What do you call the Pad? Im sorry but english is not my natural lenguage and I miss technical words. Thank you
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

The pad is a circuit that attenuates the signal from the capsule in order to not overload the mic's electronics on loud sources. If it is switched on, the signal will be 8dB quieter.

I have not used a C38b, and I can't see where the pad switch is -- perhaps inside the battery compartment?
Old 30th November 2016
Here for the gear

Ahh ok, yes the pad is hidden but outside. Is the small wheel arond the cable where the cable meets the body of the mic. Is a kind of selector with many positions. I ve tried that. But I am returning this mic, has a rock history at TTG studios, but is not working. In this condition doesnt worth the 870 bucks that I paid. Thanks.
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

If this image is correct then the pad switch is actually inside the mic and you need to take the cover off to access it:

http://cavemusic.ca/caveblog/wp-cont.../IMG_86091.jpg

It should be set to the 0 position not the -8dB position.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search