The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pretty Ricky Cookie Cutter Vocal Processing Multi-Effects Processors (HW)
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Pretty Ricky Cookie Cutter Vocal Processing

Hi,

I really like the vocals in Cookie Cutter

Especially I'm refering to minute 0.33. The vocal sounds really fat, is this just a chorus on it, or panned and layered?

May anyone help me with the techniques they used in order to get these fat vocals? I'm really new with vocal processing

thanks in advance guys
happy new year
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchnmiami View Post
Hi,

I really like the vocals in Cookie Cutter

Especially I'm refering to minute 0.33. The vocal sounds really fat, is this just a chorus on it, or panned and layered?

May anyone help me with the techniques they used in order to get these fat vocals? I'm really new with vocal processing

thanks in advance guys
happy new year
all I hear is a lot of Autotune
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

well thats true so far
Old 1st January 2011
At 0.33 some female-sounding backing harmony vocals kick in ... if that's what you mean. There is a lot of hard tuning and layers and processing going in these vocals, and some of it sounds like a vocoder. But there are so many options for making processed vocals like this, I wouldn't like to guess what software or hardware was used. Could be Autotune or Melodyne ... Notice the "yeah" at 0.08 - you can hear the notes slide down chromatically, like sweeping down a keyboard. This is probably hard tuned 100% pitch correction, so that if the singer does a glissando, it is turned into chromatically descending notes.

Since it's obvious that some form of autotune has been used, it is very likely that the harmony stuff was created or processed with the same software. When I say "female-sounding", it's possible that formant shifting was used to turn a male vocal into a female-sounding vocal. Hard to tell. Some of the harmonies sound at least 3 part, with probably multiple layers of each part. It's all so well tuned and timed that if the harmonies were originally "real", they have been processed a lot. My guess is the harmonies are created, rather than sung.

I use a TC Helicon Voicelive 2 box for getting similar vocal effects live, and it's a pretty good tool for these sorts of sweet artificial harmonies in the studio if you use it as a external digital processor. You can use midi to 'play' the vocals from a keyboard - including chromatic sweeps if you wanted to. If these tracks weren't created with software, I would wonder if they have used a TC Helicon box or similar. Certainly for recreating this stuff live they would be forced to used something like TC Helicon, or resort to using backing tracks.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search