The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are your favorite "Lo-Fi" recordings? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 2nd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I am not sure if distortion counts as "Lo-Fi" but if it does, Wilson Pickett's Land of 1000 Dances sure deserves a mention.

They must have bent the VU meters when they recorded this
It does... wish I knew how to make my amp distortion sound good... Haha

anyway, this is kindof unrelated, but check out this clip of the Wicked Picket

It's so insane, they are the most untamed band on earth, just look at that young guitar player... It's wild... Wilson's scream is like the butter on my bread... My comment on youtube is the second highest rated (second to "eddie murphys twin") I said: "this is punk rock at it's finest! (don't take this literally). But seriously, 60's soul singers went harder than any other musician from any other era,admit it our parents or grand parents generation was way more bad ass than us (if you grew up after the 60's)."

the people agree
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

loveless!
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

+1 for Madvillainy..... & all the Medecine Shows, for that matter
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene-lemieux View Post
But seriously, 60's soul singers went harder than any other musician from any other era,admit it our parents or grand parents generation was way more bad ass than us (if you grew up after the 60's)."

the people agree

I agree with this as well, it's humbling how hard they threw it down in that era, but still oozed with musicality and groove.

Ferocious.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Of course, Lo-fi has made a comeback. Pitchfork will automatically praise your record if it's lo-fi.

GBV strikes me as the classic lo-fi band. Velvets too although Loaded is a pretty nice sounding album comparatively. Somebody listed "Nebraska" -- right.

Is "Loveless" really "lo-fi?" There's an ocean of sound on that, not a single lyric is discernable, but it's beautiful.. It's totally unique in the annals of popular music recording (although somebody can probably direct me to a similar recording).

Those Folkways anthologies are TRUE lo-fi -- although maybe that doesn't count since they were recorded in the forties.

I thought the first Garbage record was aiming for a lo-fi vibe
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
for lo fi I like old Beatles records and other stuff like mamas and papas , Byrds, Association etc.....

the songs were so good and original you have to overlook the rough sound
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

It just dawned on me that one the great lo-fi recordings is the Basement Tapes (Dylan) -- a couple of mics and am Ampex 2-track if I recall. Never meant for release, all kinds of extraneous stuff going on, but man, what a record!
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
for lo fi I like old Beatles records and other stuff like mamas and papas , Byrds, Association etc.....

the songs were so good and original you have to overlook the rough sound
The Mamas and the Papas can sound crusty, as well as Byrds, and a lot of 60's stuff, but just as much 60's stuff, like the beatles sounds amazing... the fidelity may not be the truest, but you cant say those recordings dont sound as desierable as one could ask for... Sure, there is slight deviation in those beatles albums in sound quality, due to different things...

but to say you have to overlook the rough sound is crazy, its not rough... It can be intense, it's only rough when they play it on AM radio...
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

guided by voices - alien lanes

Trojan records rock-steady: Laurel Aitken, Derrick Morgan, Eric Morris etc. Anything hifi in that genre sounds annoying to me but this classic stuff...
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

The album "Beggars" by Thrice. Sounds quite lo-fi and unpolished compared to the Andy Wallace mixed "Vheissu" album.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Here's something I've been wondering: are The Smiths "lo-fi", or just "bad-fi"?

Gregory Scott - ubk
It was the 80s. I blame the Roland JC-120. heh
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus View Post
It was the 80s. I blame the Roland JC-120. heh
Looooove the JC-120... just don't turn on the chorus! Please!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

All those bands of the last few years doing that "fourth-generation cassette recording of an 80s pop hit" type thing: LA Vampires, Nite Jewel, Outer Limits Recordings, Matrix Metals et al. That's the biggest deliberately lo-fi movement I've heard of in the last 10 years.

Check out Nite Jewel's album from last year:
Good Evening mp3s, Good Evening music downloads, Good Evening songs from eMusic.com

Billy Childish's entire back catalogue. His approach has always been to just get the songs out. His stuff generally sounds like it's home recorded and barely been mixed. That's often the truth of it.

Play: Capt Calypso's Hoodoo Party mp3s, Play: Capt Calypso's Hoodoo Party music downloads, Play: Capt Calypso's Hoodoo Party songs from eMusic.com

In Tweed We Trust mp3s, In Tweed We Trust music downloads, In Tweed We Trust songs from eMusic.com

On a similar level, all the early The Fall stuff, up to about 1984, sounded like it had been recorded into a bucket, but sounded great.

CLouddead's first couple of EPs, which were compiled into that 2001 album.

I'm not sure lo-fi really exists any more except as either a mix decision or a lifestyle decision.
If you're lo-fi today, then you're either:

1. a skilled music producer who knows exactly what you're doing, or

2. you're a musician who simply can't be bothered to spend the time to mix properly cos you just want to put your music out as quickly as possible.

Increasingly I think there's a lot to be said for 2.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I had an epiphany several years ago, when I found myself listening to The Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers on some electrostatic headphones one night, and I noticed some really egregious clipping on a few vocal tracks

...and I realized that even as a professional recording engineer I didn't care.

That's been one of my favorite albums since it came out 40 years ago, and up until then it had just never occurred to me that there was anything wrong (sic) with the engineering or the "fidelity". It's not that I hadn't noticed distortion or compromised fidelity on Sticky Fingers per se; it's that those recordings are so about everything except pristine engineering that it would've been pointless to make the observation.

Plus, as the liner notes suggest, "If you disagree with the standards, turn it up."
Old 4th January 2011
Iron and Wine- The Creek Drank the Cradle and The Sea and the Rhythm.

Nick Drake- Pink Moon
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Any Sun Ra record from the 60's and a lot of the ESPdisc recordings.
Old 4th January 2011
even gg Allin's best recordings sometimes sound like poo.

it might help if he stopped punching people with the microphone for a minuet and actually sang in to it.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

I dare anyone to top this heh

I was 14 or 15 back in ooooh... 90 something.

I adored this song! It really is what indie is all about at heart.

Please listen to when the drums kick in

But seriously, great great band

Ps: someone please explain how on earth to embed youtube's! I just dont get it

YouTube - Tullycraft - Superboy & Supergirl (+lyrics)
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

What are your favorite "Lo-Fi" recordings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor

Nick Drake- Pink Moon
What's low fidelity about Pink Moon? It's beautifully recorded. John Wood is one of the most underrated engineers ever.
Old 4th January 2011
Quote:
What's low fidelity about Pink Moon? It's beautifully recorded. John Wood is one of the most underrated engineers ever.
I knew some one might a problem with this.

Compared to Five Leaves Left to me there is difference in fidelity. You can hear that not much time was spent on it and the sonics reflect it. It has that "just throw up some mics and lets already" aspect to it.

It doesn't matter since its what he wanted, it works and with Nick Drake its about the songs anyway.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Link Wray "Rumble' The Kinks "You Really Got Me"
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

most every thing by Django
Old 4th January 2011
Here for the gear

the pod

I'd like to cast my vote for Ween's "The Pod". These guys are my 4-track heroes. They totally embraced their limitations and gave us a stupid and wonderful album.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
I knew some one might a problem with this.

Compared to Five Leaves Left to me there is difference in fidelity. You can hear that not much time was spent on it and the sonics reflect it. It has that "just throw up some mics and lets already" aspect to it.

It doesn't matter since its what he wanted, it works and with Nick Drake its about the songs anyway.
Um. With all due respect I'd put forward that the major difference between the two (and Bryter Layter) is in the arrangements, rather than 'fidelity'. It's a stark record for sure, but I struggle to see how someone would find it 'low-fi' in the traditional GBV or Sun City Girls sense. I suspect many fingerstyle guitarists would love to make a record that sounds as good as "Pink Moon"...
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:

Nick Drake- Pink Moon
Huh? I have always felt that was the greatest record I have ever heard of just a dude and a guitar (I know there is a smidge of piano here and there). That acoustic guitar is one of the best recorded I have ever heard. I have read countless piles of stuff on this record and one constant is the adoration of the recording of that guitar. I read an interview with the guy who recorded it and he says studio folks always ask him how he got that perfect guitar sound. He said it wasn't how it was mic'd, but Nick. He may be right, but it is so beyond lo-fi it boggles my mind. Wow, i'd put an annoying emoticon but I'm just stumped.
Old 4th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnreverb View Post
Huh? I have always felt that was the greatest record I have ever heard of just a dude and a guitar (I know there is a smidge of piano here and there). That acoustic guitar is one of the best recorded I have ever heard. I have read countless piles of stuff on this record and one constant is the adoration of the recording of that guitar. I read an interview with the guy who recorded it and he says studio folks always ask him how he got that perfect guitar sound. He said it wasn't how it was mic'd, but Nick. He may be right, but it is so beyond lo-fi it boggles my mind. Wow, i'd put an annoying emoticon but I'm just stumped.
Again its an opinion and its my opinion on what i personally consider Lo-fi. No reverb, not much treatment, little mics, little production, sounds almost like a demo. I can see the record label spitting out their beer and cursing under their breaths when the record got submitted. Doesn't make it any less great or special though.

People are reading too much into it honestly.
Old 4th January 2011
Quote:
but I struggle to see how someone would find it 'low-fi' in the traditional GBV or Sun City Girls sense.
I never said i consider it Lo-Fi in comparison to those records. I just said its what is considered a Lo-Fi record to me. Same as the Sam Beam records i named. Records where the songs and performances are compelling and make you forget the sonics.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
No reverb, not much treatment, little mics, little production,
thank f'ing god they didnt filter that recording through all that. thats like saying you would like the ice in your drink better if the ice was just a little bit colder.
Old 4th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnreverb View Post
thank f'ing god they didnt filter that recording through all that. thats like saying you would like the ice in your drink better if the ice was just a little bit colder.
Well he didn't want it that way anyway. He said its making a record like he always wanted to. Not over the top production or arrangements like his early records. Problem is by then the label wanted to drop him off a bridge somewhere and i am sure when they heard this record that was it for them as well. Its always difficult for a new artist to make a record how they see fit and when your records aren't selling how they want you to even more so.

Some artists are helped by the "Lo-Fi" approach and others are trapped by that choice as well. Especially when people associate you with that. Iron and Wine are always criticized for this.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

What are your favorite "Lo-Fi" recordings?

Can -Delay
My Bloody Valentine -Ecstasy and Wine
Jesus and Mary Chain -Psychocandy
Silver Apples -s/t
39 Clocks
Joe Meek
Angry Samoans
(early) Studio 1 Jamaica 7" recordings
(early) Trax Records Chicago 12" recordings

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search