The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Best Isolation Headphones Studio Headphones
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

The Best Isolation Headphones

Mainly For tracking the Drummer and also to stop the bled on Voc tracking and Acoustic Guitar Tracking
Any opinions on HN-7506 or any other Headphones would be appreciated

Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

standard answer to that question is to try Extreme Isolation EX-29 headphones first and if they fail to do what you want, look elsewhere.
Old 31st December 2010
Things bear in mind:

You might be blasting the volume inside the "sound proofed" road driller casing.

Asside from the obvoius risk to hearing - Blasting volume risks blown speaker drivers.

Truly pro headphone for studios will have easy to order replacement parts.

Pick a model where you CAN actually get replacement parts.

Scenario - drummer requires deafening cowbell click track - that organised, you accidentally send too much bass Gtr down the foldback = blown drivers in headphones....
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I use AKG K271 in all of those applications. These work for me, but I've never tried anything else to offer comparisons.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

+1 for the EX-29's they are great!

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 31st December 2010
Sony MDR V6 or V600 headphones have good isolation, sound good and can get pretty loud.

MDR-V6 | Studio Monitor Series Headphones | Sony | Sony Style USA

Sony MDR V6 - headphones - Ear-cup, Binaural

The Sony 7506's can get very loud, but don't have as good isolation and are on the bright side.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Got any scientific measurements of degree of isolation?
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Nut

Last year I picked up the Audio Technica ATH-M50s and ended up buying a few pairs to start replacing the 7506's, I'd been using. They're my go-to phones now for drummers and vocalists. You can turn them up and they never get screechy like the 7506's can get sometimes. And the bass is far more solid. They're far less fatiguing for long tracking sessions.

You have to break them in a little bit. Oh and yes, they provide great isolation.
Old 1st January 2011
SRS
Lives for gear

Sennheiser HD280 pro. Closed back with great isolation and nice sound for the drummer, singer, etc. I have tried many and this is my current disposable phone of choice, although they last a really really long time if cared for well.
Old 1st January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by andonwego View Post
standard answer to that question is to try Extreme Isolation EX-29 headphones first and if they fail to do what you want, look elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeitsree View Post
+1 for the EX-29's they are great!
Yep - they're the best.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Sennheiser HD280 pro. Closed back with great isolation and nice sound for the drummer, singer, etc. I have tried many and this is my current disposable phone of choice, although they last a really really long time if cared for well.
+1

Absolutely. For isolation, the HD280s win.

(Though my absolute favorite headphones are the ATH-M50s. Just outstanding bang for the buck... great sounding, comfortable, rugged, great to mix on, etc... love the ATH-M50s!)
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

I replaced Sennheiser HD-280 headphones with Extreme Isolation EX-29 and the difference is many dB in isolation.

The E.I. brand of headphones are developed by a studio drummer and are cheap, replacement parts are cheap and available, and you can fix them yourself in five minutes.

They SOUND GOOD too. The cheaper EX-25 is only like 25 bucks less, sounds not quite as good, and cancels less sound. Get the EX-29.

Front End Audio. They ship quick.
Old 1st January 2011
SRS
Lives for gear

If you want something for your personal use (all musicians that go into the studio should have their own), then I would also recommend Ultimate Ears. The only thing is that they cost a bit and require an in ear mold be taken, but they work very well.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Guru

Personally I would go with the HD380 rather than the 280. Though I use the HD25-1 myself.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

EX-29

I have 6 of em in my extra super cozy tracking room.
You can stand in front of a wailing drummer and need a little more snare in your cans.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Can anyone comment on the isolation and sound differences between some of the more popular models of 'isolation' headphones?

Extreme Isolation Ex-29
Beyer DT770
Sennheisser 280
Etymotic ER4 or HF5 (plus ear defenders, if necessary)

I've got a one room (plus amp booths) studio, and often have all musicians in the same (400 sq ft) room with the drums. I need headphones that can block out the drums to allow reduced volume, yet are comfortable enough for long days of tracking. I'm currently using Fostex T20's, and while they can get plenty loud, it's pretty hard on the ears.

Cheers

Kris
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrankencopter View Post
I need headphones that can block out the drums to allow reduced volume, yet are comfortable enough for long days of tracking.
That pretty much lets out the Extreme Isolation phones!

They squeeze your head and cut off the circulation to the brain. Not a problem for drummers , but for anyone else, they get uncomfortable quickly.

I find the Sennheiser HD 280s to be a good compromise between comfort and isolation.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

EX-29 Extreme Isolation headphones are pretty good and I know a lot of people that swear by them. For what it's worth, I've had issues with the glue melting that holds the ear pads to the plastic behind them. With a little epoxy, good as new.

-Alex
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
To me, isolation heaphones need to nearly completely remove the sound of loud click tracks from being picked up by microphones. Most of the general-purpose headphones listed here don't do that.

I used the Extreme Isolation headphones and liked them, but I didn't like the strain reliefs, and my pairs would break at those points. About four or five years ago, I switched over to the Vic Firth isolation phones. I was surprised how well they work and how well constructed they are, given their low cost.

Maybe Extreme Isolation has improved their strain reliefs since then; I don't know.

Isolation headphones are never high fidelity in my experience. I.E., they're not a replacement for HD280s or MDR7506's or whatever. They exist to serve the specific purpose of blocking out bleed while maybe improving a drummer's performance by lessening his ear fatigue from high SPLs.

My $0.02....
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I use the Vic Firth iso headphones as well. I also have one pair of these which are great but expensive.

http://www.gk-music.com/ultraphones.htm
Old 2nd January 2011
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusionator View Post
To me, isolation heaphones need to nearly completely remove the sound of loud click tracks from being picked up by microphones. Most of the general-purpose headphones listed here don't do that.

I used the Extreme Isolation headphones and liked them, but I didn't like the strain reliefs, and my pairs would break at those points. About four or five years ago, I switched over to the Vic Firth isolation phones. I was surprised how well they work and how well constructed they are, given their low cost.

Maybe Extreme Isolation has improved their strain reliefs since then; I don't know.

Isolation headphones are never high fidelity in my experience. I.E., they're not a replacement for HD280s or MDR7506's or whatever. They exist to serve the specific purpose of blocking out bleed while maybe improving a drummer's performance by lessening his ear fatigue from high SPLs.

My $0.02....
It truly is a balance between comfort and sound quality. Plus isolation.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusionator View Post
To me, isolation heaphones need to nearly completely remove the sound of loud click tracks from being picked up by microphones. ..
...They exist to serve the specific purpose of blocking out bleed while maybe improving a drummer's performance by lessening his ear fatigue from high SPLs.

the other legitimate use is to enable the engineer to fine-tune placement of mics on guitar amps while "under fire"
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
+1

Absolutely. For isolation, the HD280s win.

The Beyer 770M's kill the HD280's for isolation. I've owned both.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrankencopter View Post
I need headphones that can block out the drums to allow reduced volume, yet are comfortable enough for long days of tracking.

That lets out the Beyer 770M's. Tight squeeze on the head. The pads
in themselves are very cushy and nicely shaped but they sqeeeeeze.
And they don't loosen up with time.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
the other legitimate use is to enable the engineer to fine-tune placement of mics on guitar amps while "under fire"
Definitely. I'd forgotten about that.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gio
Here for the gear

EX-29! They're amazing.
Old 2nd January 2011
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackish View Post
The Beyer 770M's kill the HD280's for isolation. I've owned both.
I have no direct comparison to the HD280 but the Beyer 770M are the best isolating headphones I've found. They're even better IMO than the 'legendary' EarSafe BigPhones, which are based on a massive Peltor ear protection. And of course they sound better ... Concerning their tight fit ... mostly I use them for female voice recordings when the lady at the mic wants it loud. I hate headphone leakage on the voc tracks ...
For big heads and snug fit with high isolation the EarSafe BigPhones are still king.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
I have no direct comparison to the HD280 but the Beyer 770M are the best isolating headphones I've found. They're even better IMO than the 'legendary' EarSafe BigPhones, which are based on a massive Peltor ear protection.

The 770M's are designed for drummers and front of house. The 280's
aren't even in the same league. The 280's only give a mid level of
isolation.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio View Post
EX-29! They're amazing.

Ran across this user comparison from a guy that's got both EX-29 and 770M:

"just got the DT770M and wanted to share my satisfaction. They sound of course like DT770, which is something I never had problem with and for sure is way better than the EX29. At last I can hear lows... kick thump! yes! I feel though that they need their burn-in period so I guess they'll get even better.

The isolation is also a bit better. 35dbA vs 29dbA which is true, though they do squeeze your head a little bit more than the EX29s. I have the impression that they isolate the annoying low-mid "mud" frequencies more (than the eX29) so you get a clearer result overall. And last but not least, they maintain the seal around your ears even if you make sudden moves, grimace, etc."
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Kool just paid for 770m get them fri just in time for a drum session
Thanks for all U-Alls opinions
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search