The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Best Isolation Headphones Studio Headphones
Old 2nd December 2011
mds
Lives for gear

EX-29s are probably the best for straight up isolation. Fantastic for tracking quiet acoustic parts to click track and avoiding bleed.

My favorite, though, is the Beyerdynamic DT-770. SUPER comfortable. I can wear them all day long. They sound fantastic and have good isolation. They don't compare to the EX-29s in the ISO department, but they're the best out there for comfort and sound, in my opinion.

Edit: I'm referring to the 770 PRO. I haven't tried the 770m.
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moore View Post
Another option is you're looking for the 7506 drivers are the Ultraphones. Very comfortable, lower cost, but not as much attenuation.

hearing protection stereo headphones, video drum lessons, drum methods, at GK-Music.com
I will be pulling the trigger on these as well to keep click bleed out while tracking. Don't mind the boosted treble of the Sony 7506. I will report back in a few months.
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Nut

I have been using Sony MDR-7506's for 15+ years. They are not the most balanced but i know the sound.

I have liked a lot of Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO but not used them so much (i don't own them). Great sound.

I needed a new set of headphones at work and i thought Beyerdynamic DT-770 M would be good choice as i liked the PRO model. I bought them and yes they are comfortable but the sound is totally something else: boomy lows mids and weak high mids. So... now i am just getting used to them
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janne19691 View Post
I have been using Sony MDR-7506's for 15+ years. They are not the most balanced but i know the sound.

I have liked a lot of Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO but not used them so much (i don't own them). Great sound.

I needed a new set of headphones at work and i thought Beyerdynamic DT-770 M would be good choice as i liked the PRO model. I bought them and yes they are comfortable but the sound is totally something else: boomy lows mids and weak high mids. So... now i am just getting used to them

Isolation headphones? Is that what you are looking for? They are usually not extremely flat...
Old 3rd December 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
Isolation headphones? Is that what you are looking for? They are usually not extremely flat...
Yeah, i learned a lesson here i guess heh
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone who has compared and can explain the difference between the MDR-7506's, Ultraphones and HN-7506's? Is the sound of the Ultraphones and 7506's very different from the MDR-7506's? Particularly, the brightness of the MDR-7506's is what makes them great for vocalists during tracking. Does this bright response disappear with the Ultraphones, or HN-7506's? Is low end attenuated, or increased with the Ultraphones, or HN-7506's, compared to the MDR's? Thanks for any insight.
Old 8th November 2012
Here for the gear

I mix FOH on game shows which are really loud environments. I've tested a lot of phones including the Remote Audio HN-7506 which were pretty good and the David Clarks which were the best at isolation.
Old 4th January 2013
Gear Head

Bought another pair of EX-29 last year unopened for half price that were the same look as the best of the 29s I'd heard (white lettering, shallow cup). I finally opened them up a few nights ago and they sound nothing like the other white lettering ones I have in storage. They actually sound the worst of any I've used. No bass. No highs. Not just a little blah like the newer gold letter two pairs I've got. Oh, and one of the earcups popped open after a while and will need to be glued shut. So of the 6 I've used and the 5 I still own, only a single pair sounded great.

HN-7506 was too glassy too me, too one note in the bass, and just didn't seem that detailed and transparent with many layers, even if it seemed superficially crisp. Grip is very tight. The gel cushions aren’t durable. Maybe I should try them again, but the Sony driver has not aged well. There are so much better headphone drivers that could be used for such a premium price.

The Ultraphones are a different cup and format, but still the Sony driver. Curious about it. Anyone compared them to the others?

I'm also looking at the Milan Acoustics on Ebay, but I think the one review I saw didn't gush so much about the sound.
Old 4th January 2013

Having luck with my new AKG 271 mk II closed back HPs, so far.

Only used them for one session, but they sound good for tracking vocals.

My pitch isn't way off, which is a GREAT sign.

For tracking drums, nothing beats the Vic Firths - almost every pro drummer I work with loves them.

Old 4th January 2013
EX-29 Yup! That's the one!
Old 15th January 2013
Here for the gear

If you bought them within the last year, contact the manufacturer and see what they can do about your pads. They have great customer service and always make sure you end up satisfied. [email protected]
Old 15th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

Having luck with my new AKG 271 mk II closed back HPs, so far.

Only used them for one session, but they sound good for tracking vocals.

My pitch isn't way off, which is a GREAT sign.

For tracking drums, nothing beats the Vic Firths - almost every pro drummer I work with loves them.

I dont track drums but still use vic firths..they are great

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 15th January 2013
WKG
Lives for gear
I've had a couple of sets of the original issue EX-29's for several years. The cables started to go out so I upgraded the drivers to the new version which made a huge difference in the sound. The older ones were ok and did the job but there really isn't a fair comparison to the new revison, excellent sound and much more robust cables too.

Direct Sound's service is about the best I've seen anywhere. The owner suggested I call and personally helped me with the process. That is a rarity.
Old 15th January 2013
Lives for gear

Wow, lot's of HP threads! Tried a bunch as well... ATH-M50S (straight wire) are fantastic!
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

I recently bought a pair of EX-29's and so far they work great. I'm using them for click tracks and mic placement on classical guitars and electric guitar amps. They do not allow sound to bleed out but more outside sound than I expected comes through. I found these headphones cause very little ear fatigue. In fact when you take them off, you don't feel like you have been wearing headphones for 2 hours. But keep in mind the situations I use these in are fairly "lightweight."
Old 14th February 2013
Gear Nut

Between the HD-280 headphones and the Extreme Isolation EX-29, which ones would do a better job withh keeping the headphone bleed out and which ones sound the best?
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

The EX-29 offer great isolation from clicktracks and monitor mixes, I never ever have leakage problems when recording singers even when they insist on singing very close to the mic and even with heavy compression. So far I haven't found another headphone offering similar isolation. But moving on to your other question, the EX-29 sounds totally fine for monitoring but they're not a first choice for mixing as they don't automatically translate well to the outside world and I need more detail from "mixing" headphones, and I don't mean more top and bottom end but more detail, as in elements of the spectrum that need to be heard and tend to be masked in low price headphones, as well as the quality of the stero image and also a proper dynamic response. For mixing I've had better luck with higher end AKG's (The older K240 still works for me, not perfect but it seems to translate well) or Sennheisers (beware of some of the Senns that have very hyped lows!), but we're talking at least triple the price. In the EX-29's price range, they're actually a decent average if you have to mix with isolation cans. My advice: use the EX-29 for monitoring, musicians working with you will love the isolation they offer and they're also great when placing mics around accoustic instruments, blocking most of the direct sound without affecting the mic signal, but invest in a high end reference set for your mixes, which is going to be most likely a semi open design, or maybe an open design (I could work all day on the now discontinued AKG K501). For long mix sessions, you also want something really comfortable, AKG and Beyer being the best in this domain but that's a matter of personal choice!

Last edited by jpgerard; 15th February 2013 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 25th October 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechrisl View Post
Here's a suggestion. If you already have a pair of IEMs like ER4 or even cheaper ones like JVC FX67, you have decent sound already and some isolation. Then go to a sporting goods store and buy a pair "mickey mouse ears" used for hearing protection (firearms, etc). Put those over the IEMs.

Not the most comfortable thing in the world but great for short term things like setting a mic in front of a loud guitar amp. I took it one step further and replaced the open cell foam with mass loaded vinyl. YMMV of course.
I second this. I bought a pair of the EX-29s a few months ago and was disappointed that they didn't come close to beating this setup for isolation. It was a noticeable difference, for a pair of $25 ear muffs and in-ear headphones. Comfort is the only issue.

I'd like to hearing anyone has used the Dave Clark aviation headphones. I've seen drummers use them and I see above that someone said they are the best for isolation. I'm looking for isolation over sound quality.
Old 25th October 2014
Old 16th November 2014
I used to be a KLH 141 guy in the studio, loved the isolation, sound quality and durability, then the price went up and the quality went down. I see a lot of engineers using Sonys in the studio, but they sound awful and fall apart so easily. When I found the Direct Sound EX-29s I was very happy, they sound great, give great isolation, put up with punishment and they are very comfortable.

I wear them on airplanes to save my ears with the 29dB of noise reduction, and they are comfortable enough where I can keep them on for a long flight and forget I'm wearing them.

I still have my original pair of EX-25s, the lighter pair, they are that durable, unlike the Sonys that might fall apart if you stare at them too long.

Of course what really sold me on them was the exceptional sound quality. The quality holds up to headphones that are two or three times the price.

I am also a "buy American" kind of guy when possible, and these are made by a couple of guys in Missouri who I always see at AES conventions. They go to other shows too, so you can meet them, chat with them. They are really nice guys and dedicated to producing a quality product.

These headphones get my top rating, both for studio and personal use.
Old 9th December 2014
The EX-25s give 25 dB of attentuaton, the EX-29s give 29dB. I think the charts are on their websute.
Old 10th December 2014
Gear Nut

Own HD 280 pro, ATH-M50x, 7506, as well as a couple others. HD 280's have more isolation but I dislike singing with them because they clamp down pretty hard on your head. ATH-M50s are my favorite cans to date. Comfortable, good isolation(slightly less than HD280), and sound a significant deal better than anything else I've tried in the price range.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Giving this thread a little bump.

I'm going to do some recording with a band in the same room and so far I've used my ATH-M50x headphones. They're very comfortable, but I can still hear the drums more than I want to. I have my personal headphone mixer, on which the drums are muted, but I still hear them too loud which makes me want to turn up everything else which will in turn ruin my hearing.

The drummer is not playing too loud, there's just too much leakage in my cans. I'm now using earplugs first and then I put on the ATH so that I can turn the volume up, but this is far from ideal.

So I'm either going to go with in-ear monitors which I guess will eliminate the problem, but I was wondering if there perhaps has been some development since the last post in this thread in improving closed isolating headphones?

Cheers!
Old 4 weeks ago
Some In Ear Monitors + a pair of cheap road drill style earmuffs might be the best way to go. Some IEMs have vents (bad for isolation) some don't (good for isolation) pick an IEM model that has good sound reduction.

So you might get 30-40 db reduction from the IEMs + 35 db reduction from the road drill ear protectors

You would want a good talkback system (because lifting the earmuffs and pulling out one of the IEM's out of your ear everytime you wanted to talk - would get very annoying very quickly.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search