The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Best Isolation Headphones Studio Headphones
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKER STUDIOS View Post
Kool just paid for 770m get them fri just in time for a drum session
Thanks for all U-Alls opinions
Please come back here after you have some experience with these and let us know what you think.
Old 4th January 2011
SRS
Lives for gear

Never have I tried the EX-29... so I ordered a set. Anxious to see what they do.
Old 4th January 2011
I've had no issues with AKG K240s.
Old 4th January 2011

The Best Isolation Headphones

I own a pair of these and always have to pry them away from drummers I record with.

They are for helicopter journalists.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/283347-REG/Remote_Audio_HN7506_HN_7506_High_Noise_Isolating.html

They are expensive but worth it. All the parts are replaceable.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

The first choice of most every drummer I know -

hearing protection stereo headphones, video drum lessons, drum methods, at GK-Music.com

Real SONY 7506 drivers in a 29db muff.

David
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrigger View Post
The first choice of most every drummer I know -

hearing protection stereo headphones, video drum lessons, drum methods, at GK-Music.com

Real SONY 7506 drivers in a 29db muff.

David
Those look sweet guess ill buy them next lets see how the 770m work out
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Nut

Any thoughts on the 770M having now used them? and does anyone have experience with them versus the audio technica ath-m50 headphones?

The Beyer 770M are going for $195, and the ATH-m50 generally for $160. But B&H has the ATH-m50 for $109 at the moment (because backordered, but i'm not in a massive rush anyway).

i need a set of isolation phones for tracking vocals and for placing an sm57 on a (really damn loud) guitar cab.
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

+1 for DT 770 M. No issues with being too tight. Also, they are sturdy. Beyer seems to prefer articulated steel frames and leather cushions over plastics that are more prone to failure.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

Only buy the EX-29's if you want cheap plastic that breaks continuously rendering them useless. One of the worst purchases ever, though they do sound great. Why doesn't someone make something like that with actual metal. F U plastic....
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Maniac
^ I disagree. The EX-29s are fairly durable despite the plastic parts. I use them for remotes all the time and while I don't deliberately abuse them, I'm not terribly mindful of how I treat them in the heat of the moment. Clearly, they can be broken (see above) but I wouldn’t write them off due to durability issues.

That said, I love them for the isolation…I hate them for the sound. They sound like garbage but when the alternative is blowing out my eardrums trying to get the volume in the cans over the ambient noise at a remote, they do the trick.

This thread has sparked my interest in the Beyer DT770M though…maybe better isolation and (please let it be true) better sound?
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbenoit View Post
^ I disagree. The EX-29s are fairly durable despite the plastic parts. I use them for remotes all the time and while I don't deliberately abuse them, I'm not terribly mindful of how I treat them in the heat of the moment. Clearly, they can be broken (see above) but I wouldn’t write them off due to durability issues.

That said, I love them for the isolation…I hate them for the sound. They sound like garbage but when the alternative is blowing out my eardrums trying to get the volume in the cans over the ambient noise at a remote, they do the trick.

This thread has sparked my interest in the Beyer DT770M though…maybe better isolation and (please let it be true) better sound?
So Far Im liking the DT770m but I need more Hrs to be giving a better review
Old 19th April 2011
So far, the best number I've seen for noise attenuation is -35dbA (Beyer DT770M) .. I would also guess these sound better than the EX29, but this is an assumtion; I have yet to hear either.

The GK Music UltraPhones (Sony 7506 drivers with heavy isolation) seem good too, with -29db of isolation. I think I'd like the extra 6db of isolation, but maybe at that point, it comes down to sound preference between the 7506 and 770 driver.

Did I miss any option for high fidelity isolation headphone?

I track in the control room -- for getting mic positions just right on loud acoustic guitar and other sources, I seek a good pair of isolating headphones. This kind of thing is not possible with something like Sennheiser HD280.
Old 19th April 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekells View Post
So far, the best number I've seen for noise attenuation is -35dbA.
this figure does not mean a lot as attenuation will vary with frequency.

I had some stethosets measured once as hearing protectors. Below 1kHz the attenuation was about 1dB. It rose quickly between 1 and 3kHz to about 15dB and continued to rise, peaking at about 26dB at around 20kHz - just to give you an idea.

A single figure does not tell you much and will probably only be the maximum attenuation at 20kHz.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 22nd April 2011
Gear Nut

I recently bought and tried out 4 different sets of isolation headphones. I'm a drummer who plays loud rock and metal, so I need good isolation when playing with a click. Here are my thoughts on each:

Vic Firth SIH1:
Sound quality is okay, but not great, they have pretty good isolation, are comfortable, and aren't terribly expensive.

Metrophones (Studio Kans w/ a built-in metronome):
I feel like these phones are a little overpriced, and don't provide the greatest isolation, either. Although the sound quality is quite good.

Extreme Isolation EX-29:
Sound quality is okay, and the isolation is pretty good. But I would feel a little ripped off had I paid full price for them for them (I bought them used).

Koss QZ99
These aren't really marketed to the studio crowd. The box says something about "blocking out noise from jet engines and automobiles" (?). So I think maybe they're designed for use at Nascar races. They have very good sound quality, decent isolation, built-in volume control, inline Stereo/Mono switch, they're heavy but comfortable, and have a Lifetime Warranty. When you compare the features to the price, they're pretty sweet.
Old 14th July 2011
Gear Head

HN-7506 sounds kinda weird in the lows and very glassy in the mids. More glassy than the V6. It doesn't have the harshness and peaky crap in the treble though, which proves the Sony's problem is delayed energy from the driving housing/mounting. Outstanding isolation, though. Better than even the ER4S maybe, but can't come anywhere close to that IEMs sound.

2nd gen of the EX-29 is the clearest of the three versions. The latest is softer, more pleasant... possibly would improve from an amp. First iteration with the big cups had the most bass unamped from just any old jack, but could sound more neutral & less muddy amped. It isolated the best. I use the 2nd gen the most out of all three versions I have.

I sold the HN-7506, which might have been a bad idea considering the loss I took, but my mixing tone never sounded right on them, my djing got worse, and the gel pads ruptured pretty early on from my glasses.
Old 15th July 2011
Here's a suggestion. If you already have a pair of IEMs like ER4 or even cheaper ones like JVC FX67, you have decent sound already and some isolation. Then go to a sporting goods store and buy a pair "mickey mouse ears" used for hearing protection (firearms, etc). Put those over the IEMs.

Not the most comfortable thing in the world but great for short term things like setting a mic in front of a loud guitar amp. I took it one step further and replaced the open cell foam with mass loaded vinyl. YMMV of course.
Old 16th July 2011
Gear Maniac

So, Rocker Studios... anyone experiences with the beyer you're willing to share?

regards
Old 26th July 2011
Lives for gear

Re: the Direct Sound EX-29 (and 25), as mentionned in another post, parts are cheap and available, so I don't see why one wouldn't want to fix them. And if they're still under warranty they'll get fixed for free. I think I've had issues with absolutely every headphones I've own. At least with the EI I know I can keep them going without spending a fortune or having to by new ones when they do break - but they're actually pretty sturdy.

EDIT: Here's some info from Direct Sound for anyone wondering about the EX-29's durability:

"The EX-29 was re-designed in 2008, at the same time we introduced the
EX-25 and HP-25. The design included a new headband cushion and a much
improved speaker driver that can handle 1 watt (1000MW) of power. To this
day we have not experienced any blown drivers.The headband has been redesign to improve its stength and lessen the remote possiblity of accidental breakage."
Old 30th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearowner View Post
So, Rocker Studios... anyone experiences with the beyer you're willing to share?

regards
They are OK Im not blown away the search continues
Old 30th July 2011
may i suggest these:

Remote Audio HN-7506 High Noise Headset (HN7506) - Remote Audio - Headphones & Earpieces - Trew Audio

i use them for location recording. they
sound pretty damn decent. builds
your neck muscles too!

marty.
Old 31st July 2011
Lives for gear
I have tried about 20 different headphones on the market including shure in ears, isolations, beyerdynamic, sennheiser, sony, audio technica, etc.... THE absolute cream of the crop under $300 range for me were the shure srh840's and the audio technica ath m-50's. I must have gone back and forth between listening to those two 20 times before finally settling on loading my studio up with the Shure's. My drummer however went with the audio technica's. The audio technica's are a bit more exciting (hyped if you will) and in your face and the shure's are more balanced all around. Also the Shure's have a more solid and sleek look, feel and build to them IMO.
Old 15th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty lester View Post
may i suggest these:

Remote Audio HN-7506 High Noise Headset (HN7506) - Remote Audio - Headphones & Earpieces - Trew Audio

i use them for location recording. they
sound pretty damn decent. builds
your neck muscles too!

marty.
Just Ordered /we will give them a shot ill report back Thanks for the Link
Old 16th August 2011
Quote:
cheers! yeah, let us know how they work
for tracking. i used them again this past
Friday night for a church recording...damn
fine sounding headphones.

marty.
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another option is you're looking for the 7506 drivers are the Ultraphones. Very comfortable, lower cost, but not as much attenuation.

http://www.gk-music.com/ultraphones.htm
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Either Senn hd280 or 380. You get the best balance of isolation and good sound.
Old 7th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
7506 Not blowen away lacking bass very thin sounding 770 sound better maby I need a Headphone EQ for the tracking Room
Old 7th October 2011
Gear Nut

The EX-29's sound very average and all 5 sets we brought have now broken.
The build quality is sooooo bad!! We are now using the Vic-Firths for stuff like drum tracking and S 280's for most other stuff
Old 7th October 2011
Lives for gear

Hi, the current 29's are pretty sturdy, did you get spare parts from your Extreme Isolation dealer? Under warranty you're entitled to free repairs or parts. After the warranty period, spares are still very affordable. I believe the older models can be fitted with the current spare parts, it's mainly a matter of plastic formulation and such that makes the difference. Hope this helps...
Old 2nd December 2011
Here for the gear

And talk about EX-29 warranty and service. I bought a pair a couple of weeks ago. May have had a chance to use them four or five times, and poof, both retracting ends of the headband just broke. Sent an email on Saturday to the company, got a reply the following morning (Sunday!), and four days later I had a brand new headband in my mailbox. FWIW, my experience with their support was fantastic.

- doron
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, there appears to be some old formulation plastic headbands around still... so if you do get a set with a headband that breaks, please contact your dealer and a replacement will be on its way. OTOH I've only had to replace a handful of headbands this year so the % of broken headbands is very low and I hope that the new production wil result in zero breakage.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search