The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Multiple monitors or 1 big monitor Consoles
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Multiple monitors or 1 big monitor

This may be a dumb question but I wanted some feedback. I have 3 22" monitors that is taking up alot of space in my studio. I was thinking of switching to a 32" (or slightly bigger) LCD. Would you prefer 2 or 3 22" monitors or 1 32" (or slightly bigger) monitor for audio and video editing?
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalxvi View Post
This may be a dumb question but I wanted some feedback. I have 3 22" monitors that is taking up alot of space in my studio. I was thinking of switching to a 32" (or slightly bigger) LCD. Would you prefer 2 or 3 22" monitors or 1 32" (or slightly bigger) monitor for audio and video editing?

2 or 3, since you can better handle different windows and/or applications
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I have 2 27" which I believe cost about as much as 1 32" when I got them..

For audio and video, normally.. well for audio I'll put a mixer on one window and like.. another thing on the other window... for video I can have my time line here.. my bin here.. my other thing over there..

I feel like for most of this kind of stuff.. I prefer having the 2 27," although I say that without having spent a lot of time on a 32."

On the other hand.. there are examples of times when one big monitor would be best. For instance.. Ableton Live.. it's interface doesn't really take advantage of 2 monitors.. or if I'm.. writing like.. who knows what.. but you know.. writing pros.. as in text for something.. there's not a lot of advantage in two monitors.. or if I'm doing computer graphic.. not a lot of advantage in 2 monitors.. unless it's 3D graphics.. or animation...
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalxvi View Post
With AV stuff 27" and up is a good rule, but not required of course. One big monitor (that is not in at least 2560 x 1600 or 2560 x 1440) will not only miss clarity but be a little tiresome on the eyes over time unless you are in general at some considerable distance from them on a regular basis. Either way, for your "V" stuff you'll need the rez, so two 2560 x minimum at 27" and up seems like a win win.

IMO, two or three 27" screens (minimum) or a couple of 30" or higher with great resolution.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search