The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Optimal Headphones for an untreated room? Studio Headphones
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Optimal Headphones for an untreated room?

For production (sequencing in software...maybe tracking vocals once in a blue moon, no instruments/drums), and doing a bit of mixing in my untreated studio room. Would it be best for me to get Closed-back, semi-open, or open back headphones and why?
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

Optimal Headphones for an untreated room?

For tracking closed are best as they don't bleed back into the mic.

For mixing open are best.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

well, for the most part headphones eliminates the room from the equation. the only reason to lean toward closed headphones in particular is if your room is noisy rather than untreated, or if you want to wear them while tracking vocals (to eliminate bleed). I find headphones that are more open to be much more comfortable to wear for long periods and more natural sounding, so all things being equal I'd go with a more open design for mixing and editing duties. open is relative. the hd800 is more open than the hd600 or hd650 but all of them are more open than a classic closed-shell design.

Headphones are such a personal thing, and the prices for them are all over the map, so it might be best just to choose the pair that you are most comfortable with, using some reference tracks you know well.

oops: didn't see John's post before posting this. what he said. :-)

-synthoid
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

ahhh I was pretty much set on the ATH-M50's now I think I gotta reconsider! Yeah I'll pretty much only be using them for editing, and some mixing...tbh I doubt I'll ever be tracking anything and if it is vocals it would just be a rough with the intention of re recording in the future. Forgot to mention my budget is around 250 ish...maybe i can squeeze a bit more than that. Any recommendations?
Old 31st December 2010

sennhesier hd 600s
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

(for your budget?) Used beat up HD650's. It's a buyers market now.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I bought a new pair of HD650s on Amazon about 5 years ago for $280. One of the best studio investments I've made. Love 'em.thumbsup
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

I'd prefer new headphones tbh. I live in Canada and the hd600's are $500 at my local Long and Mcquade. AKG 240 MK II's are $189 there..no K701's. So for what I'm doing, it make more sense not to get closed back for sake of fatigue i guess..?
Old 31st December 2010
You can get a brand new pair of AKG K701's new on eBay for $259.00 and occasionally B&H sells them for $249.00. I really enjoy them, after you break them in they translate really well.
Old 1st January 2011

Sennheiser HD 600 Headphones - eBay (item 190484917160 end time Jan-28-11 16:45:27 PST)

289 new id ask if he would mail to canada an pick up shipping it would be well worth it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search