The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I've recorded songs @ 96k and 24bit... how to get down to 44.1k and 16bit? DAW Software
Old 31st December 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
I've recorded songs @ 96k and 24bit...

What is best way to do this (I'm using Cubase 5) as this is for an album.

EDIT: is 44.1k/16bit mandatory for mp3 ....also to be compatible w/ mp3 player/ipods etc...?

Thanks so much, very appreciated.
Old 31st December 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
The best way would be to give it to a mastering engineer. Or try a variety of record to track/bounce/conversion methods with and without dither and see which sounds best.
Old 31st December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
The best way would be to give it to a mastering engineer. Or try a variety of record to track/bounce/conversion methods with and without dither and see which sounds best.
Hmm, thanks for the help, but I'll need a bit more hand holding as I'm new to bouncing/conversion etc...also, I meant which would be the best way to do it yourself (if I fail miserably I'll try the ME). Thanks again.
Old 31st December 2010
  #4
Registered User
When you Export Audio in Cubase, you can choose the file format. Choose stereo, interleaved, 44.1 & 16 and go export.

However - what you should know is that this process is called Sample Rate Conversion (SRC) - and the quality of the mathematical algorithms varies a lot between software developers.

You would think that digital is digital, and numbers are numbers, so they should create the same result, right? However - there is clear proof that the quality of SRC varies a lot, and most DAWS have very compromised SRC. Do a quick google and you will find the graphs and analysis that has been done - it's very revealing.

I personally use Voxengo R8brain Pro ... it's arguably the best, and suitable for serious mastering jobs. It's not too expensive, and actually the freebie version is seriously good too ...

Incidentally - to all the people who think that all DAWs sound the same, and digital is digital, blah blah, woof woof ... I think the simple fact that developers can screw up SRC so badly is proof enough that digital audio is NOT trivial maths, and a DAW is so complex that they must have screwed up a whole mess of other stuff too ...
Old 31st December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
When you Export Audio in Cubase, you can choose the file format. Choose stereo, interleaved, 44.1 & 16 and go export.

However - what you should know is that this process is called Sample Rate Conversion (SRC) - and the quality of the mathematical algorithms varies a lot between software developers.

You would think that digital is digital, and numbers are numbers, so they should create the same result, right? However - there is clear proof that the quality of SRC varies a lot, and most DAWS have very compromised SRC. Do a quick google and you will find the graphs and analysis that has been done - it's very revealing.

I personally use Voxengo R8brain Pro ... it's arguably the best, and suitable for serious mastering jobs. It's not too expensive, and actually the freebie version is seriously good too ...

Incidentally - to all the people who think that all DAWs sound the same, and digital is digital, blah blah, woof woof ... I think the simple fact that developers can screw up SRC so badly is proof enough that digital audio is NOT trivial maths, and a DAW is so complex that they must have screwed up a whole mess of other stuff too ...
Hmm, interesting...so is that seperate software or a plug?... are there any other options available? Thanks.
Old 31st December 2010
  #6
Registered User
Stand alone Windows converter app. Get the freebie from

VST plugins, AU plugins, Professional audio plugins - Voxengo

This site shows the damage that SRC does ...

SRC Comparisons

The test results with a 1kHz sinewave are very revealing - look at all the added harmonic crap ...
Old 31st December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Stand alone Windows converter app. Get the freebie from

VST plugins, AU plugins, Professional audio plugins - Voxengo

This site shows the damage that SRC does ...

SRC Comparisons

The test results with a 1kHz sinewave are very revealing - look at all the added harmonic crap ...
wow dang...


so I guess all there is to it is getting the SRC software and run it through and you're done then?



(hmmm, r8brain link not working...)
Old 31st December 2010
  #8
Gear Nut
 
ms70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfdsa View Post
wow dang...


so I guess all there is to it is getting the SRC software and run it through and you're done then?



(hmmm, r8brain link not working...)

this works:
Sample rate converter tool software - r8brain - Voxengo
Old 31st December 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfdsa View Post
Hmm, thanks for the help, but I'll need a bit more hand holding as I'm new to bouncing/conversion etc...also, I meant which would be the best way to do it yourself (if I fail miserably I'll try the ME). Thanks again.
Sorry, I only said that because you will likely run into varying opinions on the whole process, and I only suggested a ME as they would already have their own workflow they are comfortable with. You want the final files to be @ 44.1/16 bit, so if you have a dither plug in your DAW throw it on the master bus, bounce and see how it sounds vs. one without it and vs. one still @ 96/24. If there is degradation that you can hear maybe look into a new program, but if your program can do this decently no need to spend more money unless you are going for a super hi-fi commercial type of sound, in which case you should choose the ME route.
Old 31st December 2010
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
benoïde's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
(...)

This site shows the damage that SRC does ...

SRC Comparisons

The test results with a 1kHz sinewave are very revealing - look at all the added harmonic crap ...

Wow, never saw that page before! I didn't watch every single DAW listed, but compared Pro Tools 8.0.3 to Sadie, Logic 8 (Leopard) and Nuendo, and Pro Tools seems really decent. Admittedly the Voxengo app seems to be a bit better, but not that much.

Thanx for the link, very instructive!
Old 31st December 2010
  #11
Gear Head
 
theboogieman's Avatar
 

Hi, can someone tell me on that src comparison graph generator, what is good and bad?

On the 1khz tone which is the very best so I can compare my programs to it.
Is all the extra peaks and such the bad stuff, as in the less there is the better the quality of the file?

I have wavelab 6 or cubase 5 to use.
Old 1st January 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 

I've recorded songs @ 96k and 24bit... how to get down to 44.1k and 16bit?

It's important to apply the SRC before the dithering and word length reduction. If you can't be sure that your software does this, you should create a 24bit 44.1k session, import the 96k file using the best SRC you have, and then apply the dither and reduce to 16bit.

J
Old 1st January 2011
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfdsa View Post
What is best way to do this (I'm using Cubase 5) as this is for an album.

EDIT: is 44.1k/16bit mandatory for mp3 ....also to be compatible w/ mp3 player/ipods etc...?

Thanks so much, very appreciated.
Cubase's SRC looks terrible in the SRC comparisons.

SoX - Sound eXchange | HomePage SoX is a free app. and it stacks up very nicely in the SRC comparisons.

If you are mastering your own tracks in Cubase, then you should wait until the very last step to SRC/dither to 16/44 for CD. I would advise leaving the output ceiling on your mastering limiter at -0.5dB to avoid clipping when SRC and MP3 conversion is applied. If you have your songs mastered professionally, then simply tell the ME what format(s) you want delivered.

Converting to MP3 directly from your 24/96 files should sound better than going to 16/44 first. MP3 can be 48k. Be aware of the different MP3 bit rates you can use. The higher the bit rate the better the sound, but the larger the file size.

.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
KLIMAUDIO / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
0
zzz / Mastering forum
3
TacosWhenTwisted / Music Computers
11
doug_hti / So much gear, so little time
9

Forum Jump
Forum Jump