The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Profire 2626 as stand alone with clicks and pops Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 31st December 2010
Profire 2626 as stand alone with clicks and pops

Hi! well I've got a huge problem, and at this time I don't know what's happening...

I have problems connecting profire 2626 to via ADAT.
What I'm getting is pops and clics just on output channels on 2626.
Inputs channels are fine!

I feel very frustrated about this, because at this point I've made everything "good", I put my profire 2626 as standalone mode being the slave via ADAT and my project mix as master...

can anybody help me?

thanks!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Do you have the ADAT Ins connected to the Outs on both units?
Old 31st December 2010

Hi!

Yes i have both cables in the right
Direction, do you think the cables could be the problem?
Old 1st January 2011

Hello (hello hello) is there anybody in there?
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Maybe try a different clock setting? Are you clocking through adat right now? Did you check your clock settings? You could try hooking up a wordclock BNC cable, and sync through wordclock with either device as master. Sounds like you could have a syncing problem.
Old 1st January 2011

Yes I've tried with other word clock settings and doesn't work, the only way that work is setting the project mix as master and the profire 2626 as slave, receiving word clock via adat. All the inputs of the profire 2626 works perfect, but the outputs are with noise, I thought that maybe the outputs were damaged but they aren't because I've checked the 2626 as my main interface and it works perfect.

Yesterday something very weird happened because, I didn't change any setting and it works, then today it didn't work. Maybe do I have to buy an external clock?

Thanks for your help guys and happy new year!
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Strange since it should be easily possible tu use the 2626 in standalone mode for 8 extra pre's/inputs. I Dont think there is need for an external clock. But usually pops and clicks when syncing multiple devices are related to clock/sync problems. Did you try the BNC worldclock cable and syncing with your DAW as clock master? Clocking through the adat cables should work proparly but it wouldn't hurt to try a BNC cable and clock through that. Also faulty adat cables might cause a problem at times. In any case its a good idea to do the usual troubleshouting with cables and stuff.. And make shure the samplerates on both devices and your daw are the same. Good luck and happy new year to you too
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
Maybe swap to the other ADAT output...i remember having trouble syncing something to my profire, and it wouldn't recognise the clock source, then i just plugged into the other ADAT port and it worked...remember it has 2 output and 2 input ADAT ports...try plugging into the one that says "1-8 44.1/48k 1-4 88.2/96k" on the back of the profire...also make sure that when you set the profire up for standalone, you have it set in its control panel as externally clocked via ADAT (then whichever ADAT port...)
Old 3rd January 2011
HI thanks for all the help!

I've spent about 6 hours testing every choice...

I've tried everything everything... the only think that it works was put the profire 2626 as master and my project mix as slave, then send the word clock trough spdif, in that way all the outputs works great, but I can't choose the inputs of the profire 2626. why? because I choose them the outputs of the profire sounds with noise as I wrote a few days ago. so that's it, I'll attach the configuration that works for me... it's very weirddfegad
Attached Thumbnails
Profire 2626 as stand alone with clicks and pops-asi-sirve-.png   Profire 2626 as stand alone with clicks and pops-.png  
Old 5th February 2011

I bought the BNC cables, put the profire 2626 as master and the daw as slave, it works yesterday! But now today it doesn't work, what could it be? Is very strange
Old 10th February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliomonroy View Post
I bought the BNC cables, put the profire 2626 as master and the daw as slave, it works yesterday! But now today it doesn't work, what could it be? Is very strange
Ok, i've recently experienced the same`|[{#~# crap, so if i can help...

It's clearly a sync problem.
My system: Digi003 as main board and Profire2626 as additional pre's & out's thru optical.

First i tried to put 2626 as master, slave, tried wordclock sync too ...

Since i told to myself "why don't you try this \`|[{#~# Profire as a soundcard?"
Installed drivers, software, plugged firewrire ...

....where i learned that "standalone" doesn't mean "plug & play". ....

- Here comes the Control Panel (yeah) ...

... and the tab named "Router"..
Here you can specify analog in & out's from/to ADAT1/2.
... and the tab "Settings" allos you to set up the Sample Rate 44.1/48 ...

THE FACT is that this tab is separated in two: Host and Standalone.
In each you can specify the behavior of the 2626. Mostly you'll have to set up the sample rate.

Your clics and pops and noise are probably due to a sample rate misunderstanding between Profire and ProjectMix.

Otherwise, i have to specify in Protools that the sync signal comes from optical - so the Profire is master and Digi003 is slave.
It seems that the 2626 WANTS to be master while in standalone mode.
It might be possible to set the contrary, but at that time it doesn't matter, the thing is to have sync (and more pre's & out's)

Hope it'll help you !

-approximative-english-provided-by-french-speaking-person-
Old 10th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibz View Post
Since i told to myself "why don't you try this \`|[{#~# Profire as a soundcard?"
[/I]
So, do you have the profire 2626 connected to your computer at the same time with the digi via firewire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibz View Post
Otherwise, i have to specify in Protools that the sync signal comes from optical - so the Profire is master and Digi003 is slave.
[/I]
Where do you specify that in pro tools?
Old 10th February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
So, do you have the profire 2626 connected to your computer at the same time with the digi via firewire?
i should have specified :

2626's drivers (...) are installed on another computer (laptop).
Just because of cohabitaion problems between Digi003 and 2626 causing errors while opening Protools LE.

Maybe it won't be the case with your system because you have two M-audio devices - considering you're using Protools M-powered

Quote:
Where do you specify that in pro tools?
In Protools LE 8: Setup > hardware setup > Clock Source: Optical

But with M-audio devices, its a bit different, you have to set it up in your device's control panel.

You're lucky, i also have a ProjectMix
So:

Under Sync Source:
If you want your 2626 running as your master clock (thru optical), you have to chose "external digital"
But if you want your PjMix running as master clock, you'll have to choose "internal - digital input unmuted"

You just have to check that 2626 and PjMix have the same sample rate (and buffer size).
When this is done, in the PjMix control panel, you should see under "sync source" a nice green "locked" information.

Note: a that time my Projectmix is bundled with m-audio Octane pre's so i there's no firmware or control panel of any kind for it, i choose the clock with a rotary switch.
Old 12th February 2011
HI!, that's the way I have the profire, as master!...

I'm going to attach a photo of my project mix control panel in the setting that does not work!, the weird thing is that if I put in the digital port selection the input in ADAT it doesn't work...

can you try that? put the adat in the input and the adat in the output settings?
Attached Thumbnails
Profire 2626 as stand alone with clicks and pops-asi-sirve-para-grabar.png  
Old 12th February 2011
Here for the gear

I think your problem comes from the 2626's configuration.
Maybe from a "bad" A/B I/O optical choice/routing.

For now i'm not at the studio, but i'll try to connect the 2626 with the PjMix on monday morning and give you results back.

If i find something that works, i'll post configuration files
Old 12th February 2011

It could be, Thanks for your help, wait for your answer!
Old 14th February 2011

Hello tibz?
Old 15th February 2011
Here for the gear

Sorry for yesterday, too much work !
I'm on it right now, i'll post feedback asap.
Old 15th February 2011
Here for the gear

Here we are !

First, coffee.

Second, wiring.

As i don't have several firewire ports on my laptop i've wired the stuff like this:

Laptop >> FW >> 2626 >> "thru" FW >> Projectmix

Optical connections:

OUT Projectmix >>> IN "A" 2626
IN Projectmix >>> OUT "B" 2626

Third, software.

2626 & Pjmix's drivers & control panels can coexist together, that's a great new !
We'll see later if Pro Tools has something to yell about that.

SO, as the devices are firewire linked, 2626 is running in "hosted mode" for now.

Fourth, configuration.

PjMix runss as master clock thru optical.
I tried to put my bass guitar in the 2626's instrument input ... and it works !
I mean "audio is seen in both control panel's mixer as incoming"

See the attached screen capture for details in conf.

I'll post more after i've tried 2626 in "standalone mode".
Attached Thumbnails
Profire 2626 as stand alone with clicks and pops-prof-pjmix.jpg  
Old 15th February 2011
Here for the gear

STAND ALONE MODE.

It didn't work at first because of an ADAT linking mistake.

It must be :

Pjmix OUT -> 2626 IN "A"
Pjmix IN -> 2626 OUT "A"

While the 2626 is still FW-connected, you have to specify the clock/sync source as "Optical Port A" Sample rate "Automatic".

Then i launched ProTools M-powered, and everything works fine!
In PT i've routed some audio tracks directly to adat outputs and audio is running out.

Note that you may have to create new I/O path in PT because physical ADAT outputs 1 to 4 are labelled as "analog out 5 to 8" following the 4 physical outputs of the ProjectMix.
ADAT 1 to 4 in ProTools corresponding to Profire's physical ADAT output 5 to 8.
But it's not really an issue.

" Et voila " as we like to say

Hope you and anybody who has problems with those devices will find what you/they need !

If you still have problems i can put panel's configuration files as a .Zip attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Profire 2626 as stand alone with clicks and pops-prof-pjmix-standalone.jpg   Profire 2626 as stand alone with clicks and pops-2626mix-stda-pt.jpg  
Old 15th February 2011

Thanks, I'm gonna try that, I didn't know that now I can connect profire 2626 and pmix in the same computer! How do you know that?

Do you use only four outputs of the profire 2626?

I you can attach your settings will be great!

Thanks!
Old 15th February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks, I'm gonna try that, I didn't know that now I can connect profire 2626 and pmix in the same computer! How do you know that?
No offense, i guess its just good sense and/or datasheets reading heh

On Profire there are 2 FW outlets. So if one is used to connect 2626 to the computer, the other should certainly serves to chain another FW device.
Projectmix in this case.

Quote:
Do you use only four outputs of the profire 2626?
Nope the 8 outputs are available, but ProTools names them as this:

ProTools Outputs - - - - - - Physical Outputs

Analog 1-2 ---> ProjectMix Analog Output 1-2
Analog 3-4 ---> ProjectMix Analog Output 3-4
Analog 5-6 ---> Profire 2626 Analog Output 1-2
Analog 7-8 ---> Profire 2626 Analog Output 3-4
ADAT 1-2 ---> Profire 2626 Analog Output 5-6
ADAT 3-4 ---> Profire 2626 Analog Output 7-8

Quote:
I you can attach your settings will be great!

Thanks!
Done !
Attached Files
File Type: zip M-audio_Profire-Projectmix.zip (3.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 15th February 2011

The profire 2626 manual says that you cannot connect profire 2626 and project mix in the same computers because there's a troubleshooting with drivers, that's why I asked you.
Old 16th February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
The profire 2626 manual says that you cannot connect profire 2626 and project mix in the same computers because there's a troubleshooting with drivers, that's why I asked you.
haha ok ! heh

Well, i didn't knew that ! and it looks that it works anyway, they may have updated their drivers in this way... Or i'm just lucky !
Old 16th February 2011

Thanks today I'm going to check, by the way, yesterday 8 I set my profire as standalone master and my pmix as slave (sync external digital) the inputs works great (the outputs don't) the weird thing was that about ever 10 minutes a digital noise (1/2 second) sounds and was recorded in all the channels. Very weird
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Set word clock to Adat Smux 88.2.
The reason you are getting those clicks is bc your gear’s clocks are not matching.
I’ll post a picture when I get to my studio later today of my setup so you can match it. You shouldn’t have any problems and if you do, it might be your Firewire Card.
Old 18th February 2011
Hi, well it's so weird, in only works one time, then it didn't work... when it worked, I turned off my computer and then I turned on, suddenly it didn't work, but 5 minutes ago it works... it's so weird.

Tibz
I could not open your preferences, I don't know if the reason is that I'm working in mac and you are on pc

Louis
I will apreciate if you can take some pictures of your settings and equipment, for me just to see if am I right...

And finally, does anybody know how to take out my pro tools signal via spdif to the profire 2626 and hear it? I can do it If I have my pmix as master and my 2626 as slave but with another laptop (that is connected to my profire 2626), but when I'm in stand alone it does not work...

Thanks for your help, I'm becoming crazy with this F(&(*&(* noise!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search