The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Symphony I/O and G5 compatibility
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

Symphony I/O and G5 compatibility

Hi All:

Will the new Symphony I/O run with my G5/10.5.8/PTHD 8.0.1?

I'm moving my HD3 Accel over from a G4 to a G5 DP2.7 GHz. I have PCI Accel cards not PCIe, making this the "best" PPC Mac I can get that will accept my cards.The Apogee website contradicts itself with this: "Connection: Pro Tools HD PCI card" And this: "Computer: Mac Pro/Intel" Mac Pro/Intel has only PCIe slots. I contacted Apogee and am waiting for a response. Meanwhile, does anybody have a definitive answer?

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

It's running on my PCI G5 PTHD
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capturemic View Post
Hi All:

Will the new Symphony I/O run with my G5/10.5.8/PTHD 8.0.1?

I'm moving my HD3 Accel over from a G4 to a G5 DP2.7 GHz. I have PCI Accel cards not PCIe, making this the "best" PPC Mac I can get that will accept my cards.The Apogee website contradicts itself with this: "Connection: Pro Tools HD PCI card" And this: "Computer: Mac Pro/Intel" Mac Pro/Intel has only PCIe slots. I contacted Apogee and am waiting for a response. Meanwhile, does anybody have a definitive answer?

Thanks and Happy New Year!
The quick answer is that the Symphony I/O should work fine plugged into a PTHD accel card. However, you will need some sort of Intel Mac with OS 10.6.3+/10.5.8+ to perform firmware updates and configure for stand alone mode (if you need that functionality). One of the next firmware updates from Apogee is supposed to support Symphony I/O control from PTHD.

Simply, the Intel Mac requirement from Apogee applies to Maestro control and firmware updating, and using the I/O with the Symphony64 card.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

Some good info, thanks

Hi Kats

That's pretty unequivocal. Have you done any firmware updates while running w/ the G5?
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

No I haven't, sorry. But I do know you can make changes to the unit with a laptop etc. It does not need to be connected to the host computer once the changes have been made for them to stAy in place.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search