The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
are the old KRK K-Rok any good? Studio Monitors
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

are the old KRK K-Rok any good?

I picked up a mint looking used pair at the local music shop. Haven't plugged them in yet as I don't have an amp. Now I'm thinking maybe it was a mistake to buy as I still need to purchase said amp. Are these speakers any good, worth the dough for the amp? Or should I sell and get something else.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Seems like you're asking two different questions maybe:

1) Are KRK K-ROK speakers any good compared to whatever else is out there?

or

2) Should I have bought a pair of used speakers with auditioning them?

Presuming what you really meant was #1, I will say that one of the studios where I work, a place where I've freelanced for the past 12 years, has K-ROKs as their main monitors, and they sound just fine. I don't have any problems using them. Then again, I've been using them for a dozen years. I'd certainly rather have K-ROKs than 90% of the monitors sold in Guitar Center.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post

or

Presuming what you really meant was #1, I will say that one of the studios where I work, a place where I've freelanced for the past 12 years, has K-ROKs as their main monitors, and they sound just fine. I don't have any problems using them. Then again, I've been using them for a dozen years. I'd certainly rather have K-ROKs than 90% of the monitors sold in Guitar Center.
I normally would never buy anything before doing research, but these looked tasty so I grabbed them. I've got my finger on the trigger to buy an amp but figured I should see what the consensus was before I potentially waste more money. Not the best way to shop I know.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

The KRoK are surprisingly decent monitors in their price range. Much better than the current line of lower priced KrK monitors IMHO.
The tweeter is the same/similar tweeter to the one used in the higher priced KrK monitors at the time and as you can tell the cabinet is not made of cheap plastic.

I use a set as my secondary monitors and they very easy to work with IMHO.

They are also one of the last of the KrK line to be made in the USA. Mine have a nice sticker on the back.

Good find IMHO.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
The KRoK are surprisingly decent monitors in their price range. Much better than the current line of lower priced KrK monitors IMHO.
The tweeter is the same/similar tweeter to the one used in the higher priced KrK monitors at the time and as you can tell the cabinet is not made of cheap plastic.

I use a set as my secondary monitors and they very easy to work with IMHO.

They are also one of the last of the KrK line to be made in the USA. Mine have a nice sticker on the back.

Good find IMHO.
Great info as well. Thanks. Mine also say Made in the good ole' USA! The cabinet is serious too. Ok, buying the amp. Cheers.thumbsup
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I have a pair and use them. Be aware that they sound a bit on the "nice" side. Just get used to them and get on with things.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 31st December 2010
kroks are pretty good The were my first studio monitors that i bought in 1995. I still have them and they still sound great, better than the newer budget krks the RP series for sure. My main monitors now are krk vxt8s which are of course a step up.

I did get a pair of krk 6000 unpowered speakers recently which were twice the price of kroks at the time. i got them for $150 for the pair. They are significantly better than the kroks running on the same hafler the kroks used. The 6000s in some ways are even better than the vxt8s. Their highs and clarity are off the chain. I have the 6000s and vxt8s on a switcher and AB mixes on both. The vxt8s have more pronounced bass but the 6000s are just super clear. They have the same inverted kevlar tweeters that their high end speakers all had back then. People generally don't know what they are because they're small in size and unpowered is quite unpopular but they, and the kroks too for that matter, will kill any powered budget studio monitor on the market.
Old 7th April 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post

or

Hi,
Old thread but back to life.
I just picked up a pair of K-ROKs for very cheap.
What amps are you guys using with it?
Hafler aren't that easy to find here.
On another thread there's mention of a Samson Servo.
Thanks for any sugestions.
Old 7th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feromongo View Post
What amps are you guys using with it?
Anything decent with slightly-more-than-"modest" power should be fine. The studio where I worked that had K-Roks (which btw relocated to the west coast about a year after my last post in this thread) was driving them with an old Denon hi-fi amp, I think 50wpc. I'd look for something with a bit more power than that -- and I'd probably look for something besides Samson -- but there should be plenty of alternatives to Hafler that will make a pair of K-Roks sing.
Old 17th October 2016
i_o
Here for the gear
These were my 1st pair of monitors in the late 90's. Used them with a Samson Servo 260 for years, which I bought because it was cheap, I was young and knew no better. Years later I was having issues with the Samson and managed to pick up a C-Audio RA501 for next to nothing. The difference was amazing! I couldn't believe how much better my K-Roks sounded...more depth, better image, more clarity. They Rock! Great pair of speakers - they don't always tell the truth (in a flattering way) but as a B pair, they still get plenty of use in my studio.

And yeah, stay away from the Samson
Old 18th October 2016
Lives for gear

I've had two pairs (logo in a slightly different position... ) and they were both ace. I'm using my second pair now as my main speakers, driven by a rotel hifi amp (30wpc) they have really capable bass themselves but I have a sub connected too for lower. I don't run them very loud, but loud enough to annoy the neighbours sometimes.
Old 23rd September 2017
Here for the gear

I know I'm very late to the thread but I own a pair of KRK KRoKs and I was powering them with a Crown Power Base 1 (200W per channel) and they sounded just fine. The bass response for such a small cabinet is great without mudding out the midrange and highs. Don't get it twisted though, you're not getting earthshaking bass, just accurate mid-bass response and perfectly adequate for listening to Communication Breakdown by Zeppelin as I type this and listen to my KRKs.

They are currently connected to a Yamaha RX1100 Stereo Receiver for testing purposes.

Last edited by StillSpinningWax; 23rd September 2017 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: adding information

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search