The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
D&R Horror Story
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

D&R Horror Story

So I have been contacting D&R for about a year now to order a pre-fader level knob and the power supply schematics, and all they tell me is to email them, I have emailed them alot and i get no response!

I called again today and he practically told me that if I lost the original manual with the power supply schematics I'm out of luck!
and they wont give me the schematics!
This is insane!!!
Old 31st December 2010
PDC
Lives for gear

They owe you nothing really. If you bought the console new from them, they gave you everything you needed. If you bought it used, they REALLY owe you nothing. For all they know you are going to copy their designs.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Why not trying to send them a realistic (read : looking made in your studio by yourself…) of the failed part to prove them you need it ?
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Have you ever seen the schematics of a D&R console? It's not a piece of paper. Or even two pieces of paper.

For Orion it was a about two inch pile worth of drawings. Some of them larger than a2 poster. And drawn with very thin lines.

If your board is a discontinued model, chances are they lack the means of producing the copies for you.

All that said, I'm surprised if they are not doing their best to try and help you. Have you presented yourself in a civilized manner?

It constantly surprises me how far one can get with just being nice and polite.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Besides, most manuals are available on their website for free. Also, ordering ONE knob? That should get them really excited...
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Hate to desagree with some of you but they owe me good customer support, and besides waiting to get an answer for a year is less than ok service! I have the schematics for the console but I need the schematics for the power supply which is not like if it should be classified information!

Is there anybody that might have the schematics for the D&R Triton model and would like to help me out please PM me.

Thanks
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

D&R have always been great to me.
Giving me support for my D&R Dayner.
Always helping me out with all the info i need.
Old 31st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Araujo View Post
Hate to desagree with some of you but they owe me good customer support, and besides waiting to get an answer for a year is less than ok service! I have the schematics for the console but I need the schematics for the power supply which is not like if it should be classified information!

Is there anybody that might have the schematics for the D&R Triton model and would like to help me out please PM me.

Thanks
The thing is not to take it personally(easier said then done)

Tech departments are normally used to speaking to other techs in a certain way and when they pick up that you are not a professional tech they can come across as stand off ish. Sorta like "why are you wasting my time?" "Or are you for real and why are you asking me this?". To get techs to normally open up, you want to be direct, to the point and ask something specifically related to what is you are trying to do. For example you think there is a problem with the supply, but you wouldn't say it that way. First of all as a tech there are certain things you would run through first on the supply regard less of the schematic or not(usually check power transformer and power fuses, bridge rectifier, the smoothing caps, voltage regulator). If you find there is a problem with one of these than its easy to call D&R and just say that you checked and measured the supply and blank seems to have an issue(be specific with issue) . You want to replace it, but want to be sure its the right part, can you email or fax the schematic over for that specific section of the supply? If these check out fine, than the problem is somewhere else and can be troubleshooted to a point. But this can be explained to the tech department technically, with as little words as possible.

Avoid expressions like "this is what i think it is, so i need X to be sure" .

As a tech you need to be sure and it needs to come across confidently when you speak to another tech. Techs don't think like artists or speak like them. They don't approach problems emotionally. It either works or it doesn't and this is why. Simple.
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice. I hope I get response from them soon.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

They have always been quick, to the point and awesome with me.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

To the OP:

On the topic of tech-talking and relationing with the tech department of ANY company, I must say I totally agree with the advice Thrill here gave U.

On the topic of D&R themselves, I must say (and it's pretty obvious even by looking at their website) from personal user experience that they are one of the most committed, personal, cooperative and non-secretive or non-snake-oil-and-smokescreens audio companies around, so it must be a REALLY rare streak to find them (the owner/manager, Duco, to be precise) on a non helpful day!

So you odds look really good to me.

(And the Triton is a really nice desk)

A
F
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

I just got an email from D&R WOW!
Hope to get this issue resolved!

I really need the solo pot for the master section!
The solo option really makes things easier for mixing!!!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
The thing is not to take it personally(easier said then done)

Tech departments are normally used to speaking to other techs in a certain way and when they pick up that you are not a professional tech they can come across as stand off ish. Sorta like "why are you wasting my time?" "Or are you for real and why are you asking me this?". To get techs to normally open up, you want to be direct, to the point and ask something specifically related to what is you are trying to do. For example you think there is a problem with the supply, but you wouldn't say it that way. First of all as a tech there are certain things you would run through first on the supply regard less of the schematic or not(usually check power transformer and power fuses, bridge rectifier, the smoothing caps, voltage regulator). If you find there is a problem with one of these than its easy to call D&R and just say that you checked and measured the supply and blank seems to have an issue(be specific with issue) . You want to replace it, but want to be sure its the right part, can you email or fax the schematic over for that specific section of the supply? If these check out fine, than the problem is somewhere else and can be troubleshooted to a point. But this can be explained to the tech department technically, with as little words as possible.

Avoid expressions like "this is what i think it is, so i need X to be sure" .

As a tech you need to be sure and it needs to come across confidently when you speak to another tech. Techs don't think like artists or speak like them. They don't approach problems emotionally. It either works or it doesn't and this is why. Simple.
Haha.. love your work.. so true and concise...keep it up!

Wiggy
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
I just got an email from D&R WOW!
Hope to get this issue resolved!
Hi David - have you been conversing with D&R US or D&R in the Netherlands? Hopefully you've got stuff worked out. Netherlands should have service manuals available for the Triton for you. There is always a language barrier, but their english is pretty darn good. Much better than my Dutch. heh

Let me know if you don't get it worked out to your satisfaction. I'll see if I can dig out any Triton service manuals.

BTW, Buckeye??? hehheh Is Buckeye the most unlikely spot for a studio in the world???? heh heh I'm very familiar with the area. My uncle had a farm/ranch in Arlington. Spent many summers () in Arlington and Buckeye. Still have family in the area. The hottest it ever was when I was there was 129. Glad to be living closer to the coast and in cooler weather. lol
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

I'm talking with D&R USA, they just sent me an email, and hope to get this issue fixedheh
Yes, I'm in the Buckeye area! every body says is a strange place to have a studio, but it's a relaxed area so I find it great for a relaxed and peaceful recording experience. LOL!
And yes the summers are hot!
Thanks for your help
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

They are closed from December 27 until January 3, 2011

I had contact by email and by phone before christmas with Duco de Rijk.
He answered to my email pretty fast, and as I gave a call he picked up the phone and could talk to him directly.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

Funny, D&R is just around the corner for me. I could hop on my bicycle and I'll be there in 10 minutes!

But hey you should try D&R Netherlands because they're very friendly and helpful. Maybe the've got the part you need!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Just to share a good experience:

my control room pot of my old second hand Dayner was broken, so I emailed D&R Netherlands if they had a replacement. I got a reply from Duco the same day, asking for my address so they could send it over. I gave it and asked for the costs. He responded 'we'll send it over,have fun with the desk' and I got the pot the next day without even having to pay the mail costs.

Incredible service This guy is passionate about his stuff!!
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm talking with D&R USA, they just sent me an email, and hope to get this issue fixedheh
For the types of issues you described, best dealing with Holland. thumbsup
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
For the types of issues you described, best dealing with Holland. thumbsup
Absolutely. You should contact Duco & co in the Netherlands. It should surprise me if they didn't answer you within one day. Nothing but good experiences with D&R support overhere.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search