The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Headset question
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Headset question

Hello all, I have a Koss headset (Mic-headphone combo) for my computer. It has the standard 1/8" pin jacks for the phones and mic to be plugged into a standard soundcard.

I wanted to use this headset with a Behringer mixer I have. The headphones work using a 1/4" adapter, but the mic part of it doesn't.

I put a mono 1/4" adapter onto the 1/8" pin jack, plugged it into an ART mic preamp and output to the mixer's line input.

I get zero signal into the mic pre with the headset, but using a regular mic it works fine.

I have read that consumer sound cards give out a bit of voltage to power the computer microphone and I think this is the reason why it will not work in a standard mic pre.

Does anyone have a solution to this? I would like to be able to use the headset in this application.

Thank you!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Hi mr.torture,

The mic. of computer headphones are of the electret type. They need power to work. Not much. 3-9volt/1ma. All you need is a battery, a resistor, and a capacitor in a small adapter box. Many electret circuits on the net.
If building is a problem, your electronics store might be able to help you with a ready made solution.
Leo..
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeYoo View Post
Hi mr.torture,

The mic. of computer headphones are of the electret type. They need power to work. Not much. 3-9volt/1ma. All you need is a battery, a resistor, and a capacitor in a small adapter box. Many electret circuits on the net.
If building is a problem, your electronics store might be able to help you with a ready made solution.
Leo..
That's what I thought, thank you for this! I will look around the net, I am sure somebody has made these.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search