The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soldering Iron for christmas...what to solder?!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Soldering Iron for christmas...what to solder?!

Okay folks I just got a soldering iron for Christmas and I'm now searching for something useful to solder! My dad has no real audio or music knowledge, but has been soldering and doing electrical/mechanical work for over 20 years, so I will have an experts guidance along the way.

Can someone maybe point me in the right direction as far as parts and kits? I know there are several DIY sites that have preamp kits and whatnot for somewhat ridiculous prices, but I'm looking to start small. Is there a site or an index of what I need to solder audio cables? Or maybe some simple DIY kit?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
Making some of your own cables is a really great place to start. XLR, TRS, TS... You can save a mint doing so too. Plenty of tutorials on youtube. Check out redco for supplies.
Old 31st December 2010

I usually get the soldering iron out when I break something, for example my headphones. 4/5 times its the jack thats broken, which can be replaced for cheap. Easy. Stereo jack, 3 connections (TRS), not the end of the world if you solder left to right or right to left. Just get ground on the big one

Or one thing that I thought would be really fun over the summer when I get a break, buy a cheap £10 pre amp kit, but replace all of the caps with pricier ones, swap in a nice new op amp, and add in some form of phantom power. And make it balanced. So not really realistic with limited knowledge.

If you know someone in Oz or have a bit of dosh for postage, go to this site
ESP Projects Pages - DIY Audio and Electronics
Very well thought out projects with many advancements, and decent explanations. Kits or just boards available.
Also has a wealth of knowledge on beginner audio electronics, but can be a bit difficult to understand.

But if you actually want to learn about making things with it, grab yourself a book on electronics until you can decode geekslutz forum talk. Then you know you're making headway.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search