The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
two 1/4" out to one xlr? Mixers (Analog)
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

two 1/4" out to one xlr?

Hi,

I'm a sax player and I'm using an effects processor (digitech Vocal 300). Up till now I've been using a Shure Beta98 clip on mic that I run through an old AKG phantom power box and then into the xlr input on the Vocal 300.

I've also been using a Rolls personal monitor with the headphone output of the Vocal 300 so I can hear myself with the effects.

I've decided to get a Mackie 402-vlz3 to replace the phantom power box and the Rolls monitor box.

My question is about going from the main outs (1/4 inch) on the Mackie to the xlr input on the Vocal 300. Is there a cable I can get to do this? My other option is just to go into the 1/4 inch input on the Vocal 300 with a 1/4 inch 'Y' cable. Is one way better or worse than the other.

I plan on using the headphone output of the Vocal 300 and go into the rca tape-in but not assign the tape-in to the main mix to monitor my sound with the effects.

The xlr output of the Vocal 300 will go to the PA.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

I'd go for a double ts --> trs cable. Connect each ts to the L and R outputs and the trs to the vocal 300 input. The other option is going trs --> xlr male thus only using one of the outputs on the mackie. Both are fine, but with the ts --> trs solution you get a stereo signal sent to the vocal 300. Good luck!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
I would not run a LINE level output of a mixer into a MIC level input!

Plug your mic into a channel on the mixer. Send an Aux send on your mic channel to the 1/4 mono in on the 300, then a stereo to 2 mono cable back to inputs of a stereo channel, use the stereo channel fader to mix in how much effect you want, Then send the mixer Out to the house system. you will have to send both outs of the mixer to house if you want it to be stereo. TRS to XLR adapter if needed. If you want a different headphone level use the headphone volume not the faders or you will be constantly changing the volume to the main house mix.

If the house mix is not stereo just use one output of the mixer anyway but you will still hear in stereo if using headphones off of your mixer.
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Good point about the line level.

Unfortunately the Mackie 402 doesn't have any aux sends on it so I can't do it that way.

The 1/4 inch input on the 300 is line level so I'll use that. Either with a 'Y' cable using both right and left or just with the left channel.

If I only use the left channel it will allow me to use a second mic in channel 2 and send the Right main out channel directly to the board (if I want a second mic that does not go through the effects. For example if I want a second mic to play flute or something like that. I can hard pan the two tracks)

I think I'll need to make some kind of guard to prevent me from accidentally pressing the 'assign to main' button on the 'tape in' and cause massive feedback.

One other thing that would be nice in some situations would be the ability to also send a monitor mix or room mic to the 'tape in' as well. Would it be possible to sent the Right main out channel to the right 'tape input' (if the two input tracks are hard panned and the 'assign to mix' button is not pressed)? I could then mix the amount of room/monitor sound with the output of the Vocal 300 using the level on track two.
Old 27th January 2011
Here for the gear

Well I decided to use the Mackie 802 for my effects and use the 402 for my PC.

I plug my mic into channel 1 and then use a 1/4 inch cable in the insert of channel 1, pushed all the way in so it cuts that channel off from the output. This connects to the 1/4 inch input on the Vocal 300.

Then I take the XLR output of the 300 and use that as input to channel 2 on the mixer.

Then I use the left XLR out from the mixer to go to the P.A.

If I only push the 1/4 inch cable into the insert one click and pan channel 1 and 2 hard left and right, then I could sent two channels out, one with effects and one clean. (Good for recording so I have to choice afterwards of which track to use)

I had this set up at a jam the other night and I also had a monitor mix that I put into track 7 and then assigned 7-8 track to the Aux 3-4 so I could direct the monitor mix to my headphones but not send it out to the recording. Then I used the left 1/4 inch main out to run a line to a monitor P.A. so the rest of the group could hear me.

It takes up a little more space on my pedal board but it gives me so many more option that the 402 didn't. I even used my iRig so I can send the Aux send to my iPhone and run through the Moog app that I have and take the output and run it into tracks 5/6.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search