The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alison Krauss & Union Station's new record Condenser Microphones
Old 30th December 2010
Deleted User
Alison Krauss & Union Station's new record

Hi Guys,

Just wondered if any body else here is pretty excited for the new Alison Krauss & Union Station record? It's the album I'm most looking forward to in 2011 so far, and I believe Mike Shipley has something to do with it. Wether or not it's engineering/mixing/producing or all of the above I don't know. Either way, his name on the record's going to be pretty special!

Any love?

Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hard to believe it could be anything but great.......thanks for letting us know.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

Had no idea they were bringing out a new album. Of course it will be good! I'm excited now.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Every time I hear Allison sing live ... its literally like a perfect studio take ... amazing amazing abilities as a vocalist ... the rest of the band are near perfection live as well !!!!

J.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Allison Krauss is an amazing talent and the band, the quality of the recording and choice of material is just so incredibly professional.

I'm looking forward to it!

P.S. Another singer with similar traits only more from the jazz side is Stacy Kent.
Great band, super great recording quality.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
thumbsup
What an angelic voice...and what a superb band...and what superb songs!

They're the best of the best right now. What the Beatles or Zeppelin were for their times, perhaps AKUS is today.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

And Jerry Douglas is a god.

WW
Old 31st December 2010
Deleted User
I just love the sheen that Mike puts on the country artists.

The stuff with Shania Twain & Faith Hill were just gorgeously done, sonically.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jampottt View Post
I just love the sheen that Mike puts on the country artists.

The stuff with Shania Twain & Faith Hill were just gorgeously done, sonically.
I'll tell you what: I wouldn't want to be the engineer trying to top AKUS's last studio album, "New Favorite." I think that I'd call in sick or make up some other excuse.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusionator View Post
I'll tell you what: I wouldn't want to be the engineer trying to top AKUS's last studio album, "New Favorite." I think that I'd call in sick or make up some other excuse.
Have you not heard 'Lonely Runs Both Ways', think it was the last studio album if I remember correctly.

Also, seeming as you lots seem to have a proper musical taste, you might also like Sierra Hull if you haven't heard her already. She's a 16 year old virtuouso mando player who recently did an album with Jerry, Tony Rice, Stuart Duncan, Rob Ickes, Barry Bales and Ron Block. It's called 'Secrets' and is definitely worth checking out.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

YAAAAAAAAY!!!! When is it due out?
Old 31st December 2010
Deleted User
April 12 2011 apparently.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsweeper View Post
Have you not heard 'Lonely Runs Both Ways', think it was the last studio album if I remember correctly.
OMG, I missed it! I'll rectify that problem immediately!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Me too!
The dog ate my homework heh
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsweeper View Post
It was. Huge fan of Alison, Jerry D. and the whole band here but I thought LRBW was too perfect in a way. I'm really looking forward to the new album and I do hope that they use their amazing talents to branch out a bit. I agree that 'New Favorite' was fantastic.

Happy new year to y'all!
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:

AAaaaah.....I would want to be!!! Boy....would she be pissed though when it was all done.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't worry, Shipley won't call in sick, he is more than up to the task. If anyone can set the bar higher, it is Michael. He hasn't let me down in the last 25+ years!
Old 31st December 2010
Captain

OMG now Im under the microscope !!!When Alison called up for a meeting to work with her I almost fell off my chair , I am such a huge fan, but , not exactly much of a choice for Alison I didnt think , especially after all the success shes had with her usual "team" .
Of course I said yes , she said she wanted something different this time , and she got it !!!
No on has heard this record yet as we kept to ourselves for the whole process , but Im so attached to it cos I put so much into it , nd love it .
I hope people like this record , I wake up in a cold sweat somenights thinking Oh No they gonna tell me I Fu$#ed up AKUS !!!!!
Never worked with a band so briliant , it took a year and was an awesome time . Best Ive ever had making a record .I have a feeling , purists might have something to say If u dont like the sound , well , Ill be hiding behind a rock !!! But I did put everything I have into this record.
Shipshape
Old 31st December 2010
DDD
Gear Nut

mike, thank you your time and humility...i can't wait to hear what you all did! is april the eta?

really cool, what you bring here...

dwight
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Guru

Allison is tops.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Early on I was such a huge fan of Allison and Union Station..then, seemed like the -slick- factor of Nashville got hold of things and for me it just wasn't as good. I hope this one gets back to bones...solid songs with some edge..i have to say, her voice is so pretty that I don't like to hear her singing pretty songs.

: )
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post
Early on I was such a huge fan of Allison and Union Station..then, seemed like the -slick- factor of Nashville got hold of things and for me it just wasn't as good. I hope this one gets back to bones...solid songs with some edge..i have to say, her voice is so pretty that I don't like to hear her singing pretty songs.

: )
I said the same thing years ago, I don't want her wrapped up in the country crap. We already have Ruckers singing that still sounds like the blowfish, I like Rucker but if anyone thats ever jumped on a band wagon its him, he sure doesn't sound like country either.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Can't wait to hear it Mike!
I'm a huge fan as well and with today's, ahem, lack of talent, Allison and crew are a refreshing change.
Best of luck to you and the group.
Old 1st January 2011
Awesome Mike - very keen to get this.
Big fan of AKUS - even in OZ. heh
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipshape View Post
OMG now Im under the microscope !!!When Alison called up for a meeting to work with her I almost fell off my chair , I am such a huge fan, but , not exactly much of a choice for Alison I didnt think , especially after all the success shes had with her usual "team" .
Of course I said yes , she said she wanted something different this time , and she got it !!!
No on has heard this record yet as we kept to ourselves for the whole process , but Im so attached to it cos I put so much into it , nd love it .
I hope people like this record , I wake up in a cold sweat somenights thinking Oh No they gonna tell me I Fu$#ed up AKUS !!!!!
Never worked with a band so briliant , it took a year and was an awesome time . Best Ive ever had making a record .I have a feeling , purists might have something to say If u dont like the sound , well , Ill be hiding behind a rock !!! But I did put everything I have into this record.
Shipshape
Can't wait!!!
Old 1st January 2011
Quote:
Shipshape

Haven't you already worked with her at Sound Emporium on that soundtrack thing?
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post
Early on I was such a huge fan of Allison and Union Station..then, seemed like the -slick- factor of Nashville got hold of things and for me it just wasn't as good. I hope this one gets back to bones...solid songs with some edge..i have to say, her voice is so pretty that I don't like to hear her singing pretty songs.: )
If you look back at Alison's career she was pretty much a child prodigy, a fantastic fiddler and a singer blessed with a angelic and expressive voice - on top of being a very pretty girl. It would have been VERY easy for her to just let the 'Nashville machine' work but IMO that's exactly what she didn't do. AKUS always maintained the highest musical standards and never went for any easy sell-out stuff. I have tremendous respect for her because of that.

I just thought that by the time of their last studio record 'Lonely runs both ways' it had reached a kind of perfection that you couldn't improve upon. And the next thing that happened was the Plant/Krauss project which was very refreshing musically and extremely successful on top of that.

I'm very excited about the new record and can't wait to hear it. And I have no doubt that it's going to be very different and very great!
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Shipshape
" **** the Purists " Can't wait...heh Can you give us any details
Peace and Happy New Year thumbsup
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

There's Emmy Lou, Eva Cassidy and then Allison.
The siren's song.
Old 2nd January 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Shipshape
I will openly admit that I've not heard a single Union Station record, I've heard tracks and have Alison Krauss & Robert Plant's Raising Sand, which is a brilliant album, alike many other albums, this is being purchased just for the name on the back!

I hope the critics come favourable of the record, for your personal sake, Mike! Let's be honest, there are always going to be that minority that disagree, but the units your work shifts speaks louder I believe.

I still haven't encountered a less than great album you've put the work into!

Here's to 2011 thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search