The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alison Krauss & Union Station's new record Condenser Microphones
Old 17th June 2011
Gear Addict

First of all, I have to say this is a truly stunning sounding album. I'm in the pro audio industry and have been collecting demo cuts to show off high-quality speaker systems for over twenty years. This new album is one of the very few made in past ten years that instantly caught my ears and just blew me away.

Mr. Shipley:

A question for you about the song "Lay My Burden Down". I bought the Paper Airplane CD and also the Get Low soundtrack CD. Is the Get Low version just a different mix of the song or does it use different tracks? I'd be curious in the differences between the two versions. I love this song!

Thanks again for taking the time to make this album such a work of art. It is greatly appreciated!

Ivan
Old 27th June 2011
FYI, this album was recently released @ 24/96 via HDtracks: https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?f...00011661862425
Old 27th June 2011
thanks for the heads-up, brad! i just wish all music releases are offered in high resolution.

cheers.
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood View Post
FYI, this album was recently released @ 24/96 via HDtracks: https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?f...00011661862425
Thanks for the link Brad!

Would you be willing to elaborate a little about the Mastering of this record?
Old 27th June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle View Post
Thanks for the link Brad!

Would you be willing to elaborate a little about the Mastering of this record?
Sure thing.
Old 28th June 2011
by the way, sos magazine has a lengthy article in the july 2011 issue.

mike shipley talks about the technical and emotional side of the making of akaus cd. a real joy to read!

cheers.
Old 28th June 2011
Deleted User
Can't wait to hear Brad elaborate on the mastering process!

The sound on sound article was brilliantly put together, though you can find a good majority of the info on here, of which Mike has posted, you can't even begin to appreciate it as much!

Thanks so much for all the nuggets Mike!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Gearslutz.com App
Old 28th June 2011
My part in the production was minor in comparison to the artist's and Mike's of course, so hit me with whatever questions you have...
Old 28th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
My part in the production was minor in comparison to the artist's and Mike's of course, so hit me with whatever questions you have...
Wow, that's a very generous offer! Long time AKUS fan here. And of course always struck by the awesome sound of the albums, this latest no exception. Love it!

What was a typical eq setting be when you mastered this album? If you don't want to reveal, are we talking + or - 1 or 1.5 dB adjustments in the chosen frequencies? Or more, or perhaps less?

Grateful for any info!
All the best
Paul
Old 28th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The CD sounds amazing Brad. One of my favorites to be released in a long time!

I would be curious to hear about some of the gear used, how much processing was done on the Masters, and anything you had to do to get everything to gel as a record so nicely! Any info or stories from your side I would love to hear!
Old 28th June 2011
Lives for gear

Brad, I could swear I hear a tube mic on Alison's vocals for maybe 2 of the tracks. Do you recall her singing into a tube mic at any of the sessions? And if so, do you recall what the mic was?
Old 28th June 2011
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Brad, I could swear I hear a tube mic on Alison's vocals for maybe 2 of the tracks. Do you recall her singing into a tube mic at any of the sessions? And if so, do you recall what the mic was?
Mr. Blackwood was the mastering, not recording, engineer.

I'd love to see an equipment list, just out of GS curiosity. You must have been very happy to do such a transparent job.
And again- I just love the album.
Old 29th June 2011
Deleted User
According to another thread, and the Sound on Sound article, the c800 was vocal Mic of choice for this record.

Old 29th June 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
I'd love to see an equipment list, just out of GS curiosity. You must have been very happy to do such a transparent job.
From what I remember from the Sound on Sound article and what I've read here, microphones were as follows.

Acoustic Guitars, Mandolin, Banjo and Fiddle were mic'd up utilising a stereo pair of Neumann KM54's, with the 3:1 rule being used (Mic's 3 inches apart for every one inch from the instrument).

Bass was a Neumann U47, and was also DI'd, but the DI track wasn't used in mixing.

U67 and U49 on the Dobro

C800G on Alison's lead vocals.

I know Mike's a big fan of the Cranesong gear, and if I remember rightly, all microphones went through the STC8 stereo pre-amp and then into a Gates STA-level compressor.

A lot of discussion involving pure gold and silver cables, into the FM192 that was made to Mike and Mutt Lange's specification, and then into PT at 96kHz/24 bit.

Great article in SOS. Goes into detail about the plug-ins he used too, which was a lot!!
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampottt View Post

A lot of discussion involving pure gold and silver cables, into the FM192 that was made to Mike and Mutt Lange's specification, and then into PT at 96kHz/24 bit.
BLA's gotta be happy about the press on that little fact. I also read that Alison was using an FM192 box at home during this period and contributed to the decision that made it their standard for this record. Maybe it was Mike that mentioned it here at GS. Kudo's to the guys at BLA.
Old 29th June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit7 View Post
hat was a typical eq setting be when you mastered this album? If you don't want to reveal, are we talking + or - 1 or 1.5 dB adjustments in the chosen frequencies? Or more, or perhaps less?
Hey Paul, thanks for the kind words - it's humbling to be a part of a project with such legendary players and production team.

Overall processing was generally (glancing at notes) +/-1dB or less. There are some spaces where I got a little more aggressive, but Mike's mixes are just stunning to begin with, so any tweaks are generally minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle View Post
The CD sounds amazing Brad. One of my favorites to be released in a long time!

I would be curious to hear about some of the gear used, how much processing was done on the Masters, and anything you had to do to get everything to gel as a record so nicely! Any info or stories from your side I would love to hear!
I'm not generally very heavy-handed, being more 'old school' philosophically wrt mastering - I feel my job is more about correcting issues which cloud the vision of the artist and help the tracks translate as good as possible. This means that my chain is built to be as neutral as possible - much of it is custom built or at the very least modified. I used basically everything in my chain at some point or another in mastering this album, gear info can be found here: Euphonic Masters*·* Studio

I'd be happy to answer any gear specific questions (if I can, hehe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
'd love to see an equipment list, just out of GS curiosity. You must have been very happy to do such a transparent job.
See link above, basically same chain I've used for years now, though I've been having my tech build some really crazy-good EQ's that have replaced most of the off-the-shelf solutions I've historically used.

Glad you dig the record, I was pleased that my initial cut of the record level-wise was never once brought up - everyone loved it allowed the record to retain the dynamics, which allows the playing (and Mike's brilliant capturing of it) to really shine through, imo.

Cheers,
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Overall processing was generally (glancing at notes) +/-1dB or less. There are some spaces where I got a little more aggressive, but Mike's mixes are just stunning to begin with, so any tweaks are generally minimal.
Thanks for sharing! This combination of out of this world musicianship and the stellar craftmanship grabs me on all levels. Impressed and moved at the same time.
Old 30th June 2011
Deleted User
Brad,

After the last full album with Mike that you mastered being that of Maroon 5, and the loudness wars once again coming into play, how was it to be able to work on a record you knew wouldn't be a compromise?

I know Mike was upset, and I'm sure you werr too, particularly when you put such hard work into a record, and then had to do the unthinkable.

I think its awful that things lol that are allowed to go above your head.

Old 30th June 2011
I feel like I'm simply there to help the achieve their goals, so I don't really feel like anyone went above me on Maroon 5. I don't always know who is asking for tweaks or changes, so I just do whatever I can to make the artist happy.

That said, yah, AKUS was a relief as it simply wasn't an issue. Sound quality was the primary driving force behind the decisions, which made it a joy to work on. I'm proud of how it turned out, and it certainly seems a lot of folks are enjoying it - kudos to AKUS and Mike Shipley!
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

Listened to Paper Airplane again today. The level of musicianship is so high with Alison & US. It is always a great listen.

Bryant - Hames Music
Old 30th June 2011
Deleted User
Thanks for that Brad, its interesting to hear the other side too. Paper Airplane is probably the best record of the past few years, certainly of this year.

Old 30th June 2011
Gear Addict

The open dynamics are really appreciated; every song "breathes" and just sounds great!
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear
It does have very open dynamics, mostly. I'm probably going to get blasted for this, but I've been following this band for a number of years and this record sounds great except for a small problem with the vocals. To me, it's very noticeable in the very first song. As it builds into the chorus and fills out, the vocal all of a sudden feels a bit constricted at the chorus. Sounds like a limiter kicking in and not letting the vocal breath, keeping the vocal just a little bit below where it should be. I was thinking maybe it's just me, but went on saw them at the Greek Theater the other night and they started out with that song. Coming into the chorus the vocal built into the chorus just like I felt it should and it sounded beautiful, I thought better balanced in the chorus than on the record. It is quite possible that the decision was made by all involved to mix it that way (with the limiting/compression on the vocal). Just my $.02 on an overall great sounding recording.
Old 1st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
The open dynamics are really appreciated; every song "breathes" and just sounds great!

Old 3rd July 2011
Lives for gear

Interesting use of the reverb on Paper Airplane. The vocal reverb doesn't kick in until her voice reaches a certain volume then it goes away when she gets softer. I wonder if that was automated or a gate was used in front of the reverb. Inquiring minds would like to know if that is what was done or I am imagining things.
Old 3rd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
There's Emmy Lou, Eva Cassidy and then Allison.
The siren's song.
Myself I think Emmy Lou is overated. I saw her with "TGs & a Buddy", and Patty Griffen blew her away...Shawn C. too. Well maybe blew away is a bit much.

Back to the thread...I'm also a big AKUS fan. Saw them once live at Massey Hall and it was perfect! Hope to see them again. I will be picking up this CD.
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strings View Post
Myself I think Emmy Lou is overated. I saw her with "TGs & a Buddy", and Patty Griffen blew her away...Shawn C. too. Well maybe blew away is a bit much.

Back to the thread...I'm also a big AKUS fan. Saw them once live at Massey Hall and it was perfect! Hope to see them again. I will be picking up this CD.
I don't know if I'd say EmmyLou is overrated, but Patty Griffin is quite possibly the best on the planet. Allison and Shawn Colvin are right up there as well.
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
I don't know if I'd say EmmyLou is overrated, but Patty Griffin is quite possibly the best on the planet. Allison and Shawn Colvin are right up there as well.
I agree, I wish Patty would tour on her own (with a band). It would be nice to see a whole concert of just her.
Until I saw her live, I didn't realize how good of a guitar player Shawn C. is.
Old 9th July 2011
Lives for gear

Just brilliant, insane accoustic recording as always!

The best song that they ever did was this (according to me
YouTube - ‪The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn & Take Me For Longing‬‏

...the album version is much better!
Old 9th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase View Post
Just brilliant, insane accoustic recording as always!

The best song that they ever did was this (according to me
YouTube - ‪The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn & Take Me For Longing‬‏

...the album version is much better!
I love that one too.

The Dan Tyminski stuff is always something to look forward to. He's amazing as a vocalist and guitarist. His 2[?] feature songs on paper airplane are fantastic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search