The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alison Krauss & Union Station's new record Condenser Microphones
Old 14th April 2011
I just watched their performance on Letterman's show... Amazing talent and musicianship!

Letterman made fun of Dan Tyminski playing a mandolin... "You're a grown up man, get a real guitar."
Old 14th April 2011
Deleted User
That's a great photo Mike, and it's really nice to see you back on here posting regularly!

For anyone who wants to know the inns and outs, Mike's posted it all here...

Allison Krauss vocal chain?

Out of interest Mike, I remember reading that one of your last records; Maroon 5's Hands All Over, had up to 160 tracks in a song, and is pop sheen perfection.

This seems much more stripped back and natural, was the track count anywhere near that region?

Oh!

and 12ax7!

Brad Blackwood actually posted a screenshot of Paper Airplane's waveform from Mastering in this thread!!!

I love GS when it's like this

but hate the bashing...
Old 14th April 2011
Is this available as hi res download?
Getting goosebumps from just listening on spotify - can't wait to get the CD or even better hi res download!

Hats off to Mike and Brad! thumbsup

- Morgan
Old 14th April 2011
Mike THANK YOU for not holding a grudge about the idiots who would rather critique than learn. I'm thrilled that your still sharing info and inspiration.
Carry on.
Old 14th April 2011
Lives for gear

Holy moly I haven't seen that in a long time

Old 14th April 2011
Lives for gear

In case anyone's interested, CBS has posted a live web-only clip of Alison & the boys doing "Lay My Burden Down".

It was recorded at the taping of her recent performance for the Letterman Show (but not aired):
Late Show Video - Web-Exclusive: Alison Krauss - CBS.com

Old 14th April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood View Post
Left the dynamics, too:

Yeah, haven't seen that in awhile either.
Old 18th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipshape View Post
Thanx for the post !!
Brad Blackwood mastered it , He and I talked at length about the mastering and wanted a much more older style approach , Ive had too many records ruined by micro-management from label and artist and fortunately Alison asked me to do what I thought best .
At least I can be happy that this record keeps the dynamics ..... and warmth thru easily keeping the level down !!!!!
Shipshape

You guys have been a great team lately! Keep it up. I'm loving it.
Old 18th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Isn't this the album that Black Lion Audio has been talking about? The one where their Black Lion Audio | FM 192 converters were exclusively used?
Old 18th April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinAudio View Post
Isn't this the album that Black Lion Audio has been talking about? The one where their Black Lion Audio | FM 192 converters were exclusively used?
Yes it is. Sounds gorgeous!
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

Mike! You already know how I feel about this album. However I will state it publicly: F**KING BRILLIANT !!!
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

Well,

I bought the album for many reasons, dig the sound of it!!!

But,..
Is it me, or she is not confident in her pitches?.... Not that she needs to be tuned, but something is not right to me,....On the CD, she is great, I can hear things there though... Live performance, I've definitely seen better,....
Again, maybe is just me...
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

It's definately you.thumbsup
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
It's definately you.thumbsup
I knew I was going to get some of it, but listen carefully...
Old 19th April 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
I knew I was going to get some of it, but listen carefully...
I think I've listened to the album 50 times since it arrived, and she can be very soft at times when singing, which brings her characteristic to seem a little timid, but I just thought that was the character of the song, before she opens up.

Really quite perfect.

Though I guess that's your view, and we all have different ears!

One mans treasure and all of that.

Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampottt View Post
I think I've listened to the album 50 times since it arrived, and she can be very soft at times when singing, which brings her characteristic to seem a little timid, but I just thought that was the character of the song, before she opens up.

Really quite perfect.

Though I guess that's your view, and we all have different ears!

One mans treasure and all of that.

Album thumbsup

Live = tutt ???
Old 19th April 2011
Captain

Jeez Motzart , what is your point exactly ?
I'm confused . Is it that she's a little pitchy live ?? what does that have to do with Gearslutz forum ?? I'm lost here . If Alison is pitchy or quiet on the record in spots , that's how we ended up !!!! End of story ,don't know what to say really.
Shipshape
Old 19th April 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipshape View Post
Jeez Motzart , what is your point exactly ?
I'm confused . Is it that she's a little pitchy live ?? what does that have to do with Gearslutz forum ?? I'm lost here . If Alison is pitchy or quiet on the record in spots , that's how we ended up !!!! End of story ,don't know what to say really.
Shipshape
I hope you haven't taken my comment the wrong way in regards to how dynamic her voice is on the record! I think it entwines each track as a story as opposed to your typical records released these days.

I agree with the whole live issue, what has that got to do with a forum devoted to the realms and perils of studio life?

Again, great job
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

If you crave absolute perfect pitch from a real live performance your best bet would be to check out a Brittney Spears show or any of the multitude of artists who are into lipsyncing. You just won't get that from great human performers (unless you're watching a video doctored up in post).
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

Upsss....

Album IS EXCELLENT! I was talking about her in general, Her vocal confidence...
Lot's of people are raving about her quality, it is OK, but I feel it is nothing EXTRA-GREAT! (Vocally though, she is probably great musician/instrumentalist in general!)
But,.. Vocal is not a gear!
You're right! Nothing to do with Gearslutz!

Sorry for the highjack! Not intended...

Love the sound on the album in general, great job! Spacious and big! Probably the mod from BLA is worth the money...

P.S. Mr. Shipley, I like your work! One more reason I bought the album!

Kostadin Kamcev - Mozart
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

I was wondering how the album was mixed too; ITB or summing on a console, outboard,...
More details on the mixing will be more Gearslutz-ish.
Old 19th April 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
I was wondering how the album was mixed too; ITB or summing on a console, outboard,...
More details on the mixing will be more Gearslutz-ish.
By the looks of the photo Mike was kind enough to post, there was a rather lavish SSL to utilize.
Old 19th April 2011
I spent the weekend with the new record, listening to it on nice car stereo system driving to and from Millbrook NY.

Shipley is no slouch, neither is Blackwood. Jerry Douglas rules on steel. The band is nothing short of phenomenal.

The record is carefully, wonderfully, passionately tracked and produced. Alison's vocals... seemingly effortless. They float like a silk robe on your lover's soft skin. You can spend all day with her, and easily get lost in it all.

Great work Mike and Brad. Grammy nods should follow.
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post
Alison's vocals... seemingly effortless. They float like a silk robe on your lover's soft skin. You can spend all day with her, and easily get lost in it all.
Only K.D. Lang and possibly a few others could be considered technically better. Alison's voice is friggen beautiful.
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Musicfan View Post
Only K.D. Lang could be considered technically better. Allison's voice is friggen beautiful.
OT alert!

With respect to the two names mentioned I believe the term 'artist' truly applies. While I understand the nature of 'compare/contrast' analysis, does art have to be a competition? I'm quite satisfied to be able to enjoy what either of these two artists (and others).

Perhaps consider resisting the temptation to project your evaluation of one artists strengths/weaknesses on another. THAT is how we get to a (IMNSHO) less desirable, more homogenous, of well......NON art.

Sorry Shipshape, pet peeve....
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
With respect to the two names mentioned I believe the term 'artist' truly applies. While I understand the nature of 'compare/contrast' analysis, does art have to be a competition? I'm quite satisfied to be able to enjoy what either of these two artists (and others).
I was speaking only of vocal chops and vocal control (therefore the use of the term, 'technically'). To say someone is just behind KD Lang in this respect is actually a gigantic compliment. Now, *Artistically*, they are both entirely uncompromising and give it their all, in a totally unique, signature sound sort of way. ----- And to get back on the singular topic focus, Alison has just the right people sonically and tonally maximizing and emphazing the colors, dynamics, technical skill and unique artistry she is gifted with. One of her gifts almost no other singer has is her stylistic ability to use extremely subtle approaches to phrasing. She can knock anyone out with a soft, serene, silky smooth whole note. That's an incredible artistic (*and* technical) feat for a vocalist.
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Nut

AKUS sound

Hey Mike - Great job on the new project! Some of the highlights to me are the wonderful sound of the acoustic instruments and the way the overall project "breathes". Also the sound and "tightness" of the upright bass is outstanding. I have never been a big fan of the "clicky" sound of the bass on many bluegrass projects and this just sounds right to my ears! If I may ask - what verb are you using on the dobro? Thank you - MusicKat
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicKat View Post
[...]
Some of the highlights to me are the wonderful sound of the acoustic instruments and the way the overall project "breathes".
[...]
Yes, it really IS quite nice, dynamically.

It's not just that the overall dynamics are left intact, but also that there is some really cool dynamic INTERPLAY between all the instruments!

...Something that is getting rather rare these days: A record that sounds like MUSIC (NOT the other way 'round!).

Thank you, Mike!

Old 10th June 2011
Lives for gear

Finally bought this CD and have had a chance to give it a good listen and wanted to bounce in to give Mike madd prop's FWIW. I've been a big fan of AKUS from the 1st note I ever heard on the record "Forget About It" and I've always admired the sheer perfection in engineering and production and this production did not disappoint.

Fantastic work Mike! Overall, this record is gorgeous. So congratulations and thanks for sharing a little about the production here in this thread.
Old 16th June 2011
Gear Guru
Sorry to be late to the party, but I just got the album.
Wow. I mean, um, wow. This is just giving me chills.

The production is just enough bigger than life to jump out of the speakers, but not so much as to distract from the fact that it is purely acoustic music. A very difficult balance to maintain.

Kudos to everyone who had a hand in this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search